Desensitised by adverts

Megumin

For the last 8 years I have never watched much live TV apart from sports. The reason for this is that I can not stand adverts as they disrupt the program and generally have higher volume than the actual TV program forcing you to turn the TV down on purpose.

I could complain about this for hours but recently over the last few months I have been watching sky news due to brexit  and I'm now totally fucking fed up of the charity adverts from starving kids to adopting a cheetah.

Im at the point in which I don't actually care anymore and have become desensitised to it all.

I know I'm not a horrible person but I'm just curious to see if I'm the only one that this has happend too?

• Like 8

I don't watch live tv but my wife does so I catch the odd 5 mins, the adverts can get under my skin quite badly making me feel totally agitated, I also think they have methods to brainwash us, I don't trust the tv and media in general because the way they try get into our heads, people who do watch tv will say it don't affect them but they are not supposed to know its happening to them.

• Like 4

Millions is not spent on marketing for it not to work.

I seriously only watch Family Guy and American Dad, others watch the TV in the house but I just can't -- everything angers me - the news, the soaps, sport, innane drivel programs - all propaganda.  I only have time for comedy and most of the great comedians aren't/weren't even welcome on the google box anyhoo.

No fucking way would I pay for a TV licence... pay for your own brainwashing?  Pathetic.

• Like 4

@hash72

I agree mate, trying to gain support by making you feel guilty is agitating. Sadly it is the most effective way to get the older and more emotionally vunerable to support.

Also agree with influencing/brainwashing. Every news channel has its own agenda and went out my way a longtime ago to work these out. I have given up on the BBC as they just spurt out the rhetoric of the whatever government is in Power . I want an impartial view that let's me decide what I think but that's so hard to find. In America it's even worse they are just echo Chambers that have blinded the public to asking for evidence. They call them entertainment channels rather than news channels so they don't have to verify stories. Etc...

• Like 2

The thing I hate about some charity’s that the ceo gets a big chunk of that money, I used to harang those chuggers that stalk the high street to the point they would leave lol 

• Like 2

Very seldom watch any live TV these days... mainly watch things on computer, catch-up or netwhatsit!

We actually have it quite good in the UK - countries like the US and Australia allow far longer and more frequent advertising breaks! I tired to watch Alien in Sydney, I got an hour and 40 mins in and swear I felt like 1hr of that time was filled with some mad-eyed lunatic screaming about Dan's auto services!! :v:

• Like 2

Just now, nl5 said:

The thing I hate about some charity’s that the ceo gets a big chunk of that money

Very true, I worked for a large international charity and now refuse to ever work for another NGO simply because I cannot justify how the money is spent - the ceo's taking a chunk is awful, but far worse goes on!

• Like 2

The internet is so much worse than TV for adds though. Google has literally turned into an ad directory. 

The difference between searching for actual information now compared to pre 2010 is absolutely shocking. The algorithm they use has just completely taken over the internet. It used to be the little paid google ad links at the top maybe two or 3 results and now the full first two pages are ads. You have sites like textbroker pumping out 100's of articles a day with keywords in for certain product covering every available topic. The internet as it stands is a pale shadow of what it was invented for. The freedom of information it brought has been destroyed by Google and social media. 

The majority of news is clickbait as Facebook is the only way traditional newspaper based media organisations can stay afloat. It's bad enough when they are trying to get you to buy Audi's and Blenders, but when the political powers have access to the exact same targeting tools that google and Facebook posses then you start getting into 1984 territory. 

It might not be as noticeable as a kid with a fly crawling over his eyeball, but when you're spending your lunch break or an hour before bed or sitting on the bog for 10 minutes just mindlessly scrolling through your phone looking at ads you know something is wrong.

All the yank forums on our hobby are riddled with ads especially now its legal over there. And I mean ads in post form not banners etc. 

UK420 is the last bastion of internet freedom! haha

soz if this is majorly off topic btw

• Like 4

Agree with you all lads.

I no longer give to large charities but support the smaller operations which give you options to give the times needed.

Also mainly watch Netflix, prime and catchup. I mean people pay for sky yet a also get trounced by adverts, it's wrong and the reason on demand is so. Popular.

Im. With you @coldroom with online adverts and click bait. I don't even view the Internet without a vpn anymore. This helps with targeted ads.

Your point is completely verified with the Russian advert  interference on americas last election snd the UK referendum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elmer budd said:

russia did fuck all to the US elections, haha.

Suppose the Salisbury blokes where just on a day trip to see the Cathedral and all?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coldroom said:

Suppose the Salisbury blokes where just on a day trip to see the Cathedral and all?

the BBC say no, MPs say no.  I guess not then, eh?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elmer budd said:

the BBC say no, MPs say no.  I guess not then, eh?

As apposed to RT and Putin who say they were. 

There's also the fact that the investigative journalism website Bellingcat has photos of the GRU ID's of the guys involved and can provide documentary evidence of their careers in the Russian military service. 

I mean have a look at their website. You know for the actual facts, the non alternative kind. 

Edited by coldroom
added "The" to clarify I don't mean all facts.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, coldroom said:

As apposed to RT and Putin who say they were. 

There's also the fact that the investigative journalism website Bellingcat has photos of the GRU ID's of the guys involved and can provide documentary evidence of their careers in the Russian military service. 

I mean have a look at their website. You know for actual facts, the non alternative kind. 

Bellingcat is not a website to trust on anything. Investigative journalism my arse.

• Like 4

Just now, Boojum said:

Bellingcat is not a website to trust on anything. Investigative journalism my arse.

Why? Do you believe they fabricated the documents?