make fan control stop,instead going to idle speed.

countrock

3 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

some fan controllers will work in reverse if theyre wired up wrong, ie you set the controller to low & it runs at full power instead.

seriously stop using it & rewire it, its very easy, just put the Blue wire into the N connector & the Brown wire into the L connector, then plug it back in & see if its working properly.

if it runs ok then you've been lucky that it hasn't fried the electrical circuit board & the components.

I will go tomorrow to the shop and give it back.This is refurnished as it seems.I will ask to open and see if the other one is refurnished too,you never now..I bought it at 29/10,so is almost a month.

Thanks for your help JH,you saved my fan.....:chef:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, countrock said:

Thanks for your help JH,you saved my fan

He has possibly saved your life as well! If that had caused a fire .....

• Like 2

the wiring colours stated are indeed UK convenvention, but that is assuming the unit was built to UK conventions...

Before rewiring I think testing the wires is prudent to see what they actually are, and not just go off the colours.

• Like 2

i was gonna say that too, but I couldn't see how the fan controller would work at all, because, if the neutral is wired to the live connection then effectively,  it has no live, the  neutral would not power up anything. I would check the plug wiring to make sure it hasn't been wired up wrongly at both ends.

Hope you get it sorted

2 hours ago, elmer budd said:

the wiring colours stated are indeed UK convenvention, but that is assuming the unit was built to UK conventions...

Before rewiring I think testing the wires is prudent to see what they actually are, and not just go off the colours.

I don't think brown is neutral in any wiring in the world, Europe I know is as standard blue neutral and brown live. 

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i was gonna say that too, but I couldn't see how the fan controller would work at all, because, if the neutral is wired to the live connection then effectively,  it has no live, the  neutral would not power up anything. I would check the plug wiring to make sure it hasn't been wired up wrongly at both ends.

Hope you get it sorted

If the wiring is wrong both ends it wouldn't work at all, op says it works both ways round. Which could explain the problems he is having as JH mentions earlier that some of the units can run opposite way round ie full power on low and low power on high, so when the controller is trying to slow it down, it could actually be speeding up.

9 hours ago, countrock said:

I will go tomorrow to the shop and give it back.This is refurnished as it seems.I will ask to open and see if the other one is refurnished too,you never now..I bought it at 29/10,so is almost a month.

Thanks for your help JH,you saved my fan.....:chef:

If you do go to the shop and look at a different unit, make sure the wires aren't crimped with bare wires hanging out the block, that in itself is bloody dangerous.

• Like 2

It should be noted that anything sold in the EU/UK has to confirm to EU/UK regulations and has to be safe to use. That wiring won't meet the regs/safety. If the shop that sold it to you won't refund or swap the unit,you can complain to trading standards. The shop is at fault under the regs/law (even though it was probably manufactured/wired up in another country) and will most likely have their other fans/controllers seized and be fined to boot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ursus1000 said:

It should be noted that anything sold in the EU/UK has to confirm to EU/UK regulations and has to be safe to use. That wiring won't meet the regs/safety. If the shop that sold it to you won't refund or swap the unit,you can complain to trading standards. The shop is at fault under the regs/law (even though it was probably manufactured/wired up in another country) and will most likely have their other fans/controllers seized and be fined to boot.

well he will change it,want it or not.......

I don t understand their way of thinking.Instead of selling it as refurnished,lose 30-40e,they prefer to risk the reputation of their shop.Ther are forums,facebook that i can ask 100friends of mine to fuck up his page and feedbacks.I m a discogs seller my own and i don t risk a negative feedback,just to earn a few more $.

I will go and besides the change,i will ask the 6" model ,for a free replacement.Now it s my turn to f@ck him.

Thanks a lot everyone for the help,

Edited by countrock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Autobud said:

I don't think brown is neutral in any wiring in the world, Europe I know is as standard blue neutral and brown live. 

If the wiring is wrong both ends it wouldn't work at all, op says it works both ways round. Which could explain the problems he is having as JH mentions earlier that some of the units can run opposite way round ie full power on low and low power on high, so when the controller is trying to slow it down, it could actually be speeding up.

If you do go to the shop and look at a different unit, make sure the wires aren't crimped with bare wires hanging out the block, that in itself is bloody dangerous.

I've seen it all in factories, mate. I once had a 4 gang plug from India checked with a test lab, after going though all the problems they asked if they could keep the sample for training purposes as it was the worse example of electrical safety they had seen, haha.

• Like 1

Went to the shop,argue  for 30'.

He called an "electrician",who told him that there s no problem to connect them opposite at a single phase motor and there s no way to melt or blow.

He checked it there that is working and kept it to set it to work for a while to see if everything is ok.

Told him that i didn t use it almost at all.Check it,test it ,but you ll give me another one and i can understand the difference if the power cable was opened or is still factory sealed.

Also we will open to check the wiring again.

These are the fan specs :MOTOR Single-phase external rotor motor with a centrifugal impeller with backward curved blades.Equipped with ball bearings for longer service life.Integrated thermal protection with automatic restart.Dynamically balanced turbine.SPEED CONTROLSmooth speed control with a built-in electronic speed controller-
  – smooth speed controller with an electronic thermostat and an external temperature sensor that is fixed on 4 m power cable. The fan is supplied with a pre-wired power cable with IEC plug as a standard. 

Is there a way these fans to work with the wires connected opposite?

Edited by countrock

i dont know about the wires being opposite..

you could stick your fan controller on a timer and that will work for the first couple weeks until the plants are big enough to make some humidity in there ..

only down side is the fans go full speed on start up then quiet down after a few seconds while the controller scans the room ( thats what mine does .smscom).

@countrock

Hopefully one of the sites sparks see this & they'll give you an honest opinion but in my opinion, the fan was wired up sloppy & back to front, so no matter what the guy says he's  talking out his arse.

• Like 1

Reverse polarity isn't ideal but the supply may go through a transformer so not an issue.But sloppy connections have no place in electrical installs.

All I ask for is tight connections made of by someone who cares.Bare copper like has been shown in pics is shite.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

I will go tomorrow to change it and i'm thinking to take one without speed/temp control.

I m handy and from what i've read here,it won t be difficult to add a speed controller ,next to a temp controller and have the same effect.

Also,with the difference on the price(controlled cost like 30-40e more) i could buy a CE meter and throw away that chinece crap that i have.

Or buy this controller instead,which will be 100%better,than the one it s installed on this fan.

SMSCOM SMART CONTROLLER MK2 EU at 30e without postage.

Opinions are welcome and thanks to everyone for the replies.

Cheers

its not so smart  lol  what I mean is that because of the type of control gear there is inside the box, this ones a electronic version of a variac & are called triacs,

they basically alter the electrical sine wave but because of the way it does it, it can cause fan hum (fan harmonics), so what you want is something that has a variable

power transformer in it, you can get a basic 5 step controller called a STR & cost about £60-£70 but if you want a good controller off the shelf, get the smscom 4Amp hybrid,

its already been mentioned, it probably seems a lot of money to pay for a fan controller (over £200) but a lot of new growers dont realize is that just sticking a fan on under a

hps/cmh/led light will work at certain times of the year (depending on your location) to keep a stable temperature/humidty for growing weed all year round, then the cost is worth it.

the grow rooms environment is just as important as lighting & feeding, if you get it spot on, you'll reap the rewards for all the time & extra effort you put in.

• Like 1