Tweaked house and garden schedule

FigmentofFig

@teehee Hey man cheer’s for the reply, I think canna boost is more a sugar based additive more along the lines of BudXL...

I was having probs with my girls being late finishers, all was running a week or two longer then predicted, what you just told me abt the Top Shooter taking the plants longer in flower and never really looking finished is making perfect sense...

An as you say it really affects the EC meaning little to no a&b, I think I will stop using it an see how things go. The reason I was asking abt Canna Boost is I have a full bottle of it sitting here unused...

Since I was only using it at 0.5ml/1L the foxtailing wasn’t so bad, I was just trying to swell the buds, but it still made the plant flower longer, an always having white pistils...

I will look more into what I could use instead off the Top Shooter, more like what ur doing...

I just noticed this is in the hydro section an I’m in soil, so maybe I could try adding bat guano at week 5-6 instead of TS...

Cheer’s dude...

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@teehee

Hi there Teehee, I’ve been following your posts about house & garden for awhile now, & love the outcome of your grows!

I am just about to make the switch to house & garden nutrients & I want to run your full nutrient schedule posted earlier, Also using the additives from AN however according to your latest post you only use half the amount of nutrients.

I would be very interested in checking out one of your latest feed charts,

& looking back can you see top shooter being beneficial in any way?

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starcall said:

I would be very interested in checking out one of your latest feed charts,

& looking back can you see top shooter being beneficial in any way?

OK, so the feedchart for the last grow.... grow 16, which is probably my most mental to date.....

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/397876-teehees-back-on-the-autos-again/

You'll see no Bud Ignitor, no Amino Treatment and no late bloom boosters like Top Shooter.

The BA turned out to be a photo rather than an Auto, so there's extra rows for all of that, but you'll see what I'm giving of each ingredient for each feed. (This is not  a record of when I feed, it's what I feed).

Dropping Top Shooter allowed me to raise the A&B levels in flowering and still keep below EC 0.8 - 0.9.

If anything the Top Shooter was a hindrance, in terms of overall bud quality and bag appeal. Top Shooter resulted in foxtailing and varied strength end product. No Top Shooter, and I had lovely looking hard nugs all the same strength and maturity.

For quality over quantity (and there's not much increase in final weight anyway), I'm very happy I stopped using Top Shooter, and so's my wallet!

I still use the other additives all at full strength.... Drip Clean, Multizyme, Roots Ecxel, Bud XL and Top Booster, plus AN Bud Candy.

6 hours ago, Starcall said:

how did the bud ignite work for you by AN?

Bud Ignitor is a waste of cash as well. It might come in handy if your at week 5 and there's not many flowering sites. I dropped it ages ago.

6 hours ago, Starcall said:

is flawless finish worth it?

Yea, It allows you  to do a 3-4 day flush rather than 7+. All that extra flushing raises the humidity and you risk mould.

I've smoked plenty of my own un-flushed gear and not noticed any difference to be honest, but I prefer to get some of the chemicals out.

Anyway, here's the chart, good luck!

large.5e86c1ea583e1_Screenshot(39).jpg

Thank you very much @teehee, I will put all of this valuable information to good use!

& thank you for the further information on your experience with top shooter, you’ve saved me a lot of money!

Why did you make the choice not to use the amino treatment, or their algen extract? To me, the way they’re marketed they seem quite important.

Also have you trialed runs with & with out the bud candy? & seen a noticeable increase in quality using bud candy?

Edited by Starcall
  • Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 9:22 PM, Starcall said:

Why did you make the choice not to use the amino treatment, or their algen extract? To me, the way they’re marketed they seem quite important.

To be quite honest, I used to swear by Amino Treatment.... I've always been a fan of Silicon for strong stems, and the Amino Acids for their effect in veg.... then one time I ran out, and couldn't afford a new bottle, so did without and didn't notice any difference.

If anything I did better off without it, and that may be because I was able to keep up the A&B component during the first 5 weeks, rather than having to drop it as the level of Amino Treatment was incrased each week. 

In the early days I used Algen Extract routinely, but again, it increases the EC not leaving much room for A&B. 

It's thick like tar, difficult to handle, I had to add water to the bottle to thin it out a bit, and that makes correct dosing tricky.

It did come in handy for reviving some heat stressed plants that had locked out, because of the seaweed and micronutrients.

On 03/04/2020 at 9:22 PM, Starcall said:

have you trialed runs with & with out the bud candy? & seen a noticeable increase in quality using bud candy?

In the early days, I never used any extra sugars, then I got onto molasses, and immediately noticed sweeter tasting buds.

They seemed to be bigger and hardeer nugs too, so I continued using it until I got OCD about dosing.

I used to make my molasses but boiling up some water in a small saucepan, adding a few tablespoons of organic blackstrap Molasses, dissolving it all, then adding cool water and putting it in an old wine bottle. 

Each batch was a different strength, and I found myself adding random pours of the stuff when making up my nutes, and having problems keeping the EC where I wanted it.

AN's Bud Candy was a way of making sure I had the right strength dose each time.... plus I fell for the claims on their website about bigger, sweeter buds. I think it does what it says on the tin, and I like using it.

Obviously as my experience has grown, ahem, my quality has (hopefully) improved since my early days, so the improvement may be due to that more than just the Bud Candy, but I feel the buds need as much sugar as they can get.

Without adding extra sugars, the plant only has the sugars it has stored in it's leaves, and if you've been snipping off fan leaves, you will have depleted the plant's natural sugar stores, so adding more in the form of Bud Candy or Molasses can only benefit your end result.

Man I'm mashed, been doing a load of bubble hash, so I have to go and get shit done!

This self isolation malarkey is the perfect way to get caned and not worry about having to go out anywhere!

Stay safe, stay stoned!

Edited by teehee
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

@teehee Hello there, I’ve been thinking about making the switch from soil to coco and going down the H&G line to accompany the change, I spoke briefly to the guys down at my local hydro store and when I mentioned ec they said not to bother unless I want to make more work for myself, after reading your thread I’m starting to wonder  have I been given some bad advice there? 

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that mate. I think it's fair to say that the majority of nutrient brands marketed by hydro shops WILL do the job, and once dialled in, there's probably very little difference in the end result.

I've stuck with H&G simply because I've spent a few years getting the doses right, and changing brands would mean having to 'learn' the right amounts of each ingredient again.

When I run out of an additive, I'm kind of forced to replace the actual product, rather than shop around for a different branded additive that would do much the same, or buy a completely new set of nutes and additives.... for instance, I would always replace my H&G Multizyme, rather than try the Caanna enzyme product, just in case it fucks the grow.... even though I'm sure it will probably do the same.

I have mates that consistently grow lovely green plants that produce heavy frosty buds just using Canna brand, and I sit there fannying around with my H&G dosing and end up with some issue that takes effort to resolve.... just looking at my current grow, 4 plants all on the same feed, 2 are pale green and one is dark green and suffering N toxicity.

So to answer your question, the Guys in your growshop are doing you a favour.... if you're just getting started, why not stick to tried and tested Canna and keep it simple? Or if you fancy giving H&G a try, go for it, it's not that complicated, and I think you get nice results with the stuff, my only gripe is that it is so concentrated, you need tiny amounts of each additive, and it's easy to overdo it in the early stages.... that's why you'll see much lower doses on my spreadsheet compared to the recommended amounts they go on about.

It's so concentrated, I hang around the EC 0.8 mark (not one ingredient is given over 1ml/L), even late in flowering when I see some folk going up to EC1.6-2.0 with their products, often giving 3ml/L of some ingredients.

As an examlpe, the H&G Nitrogen boost is so concentrated that 0.1ml/L can make a massive difference to the strength of the final mix, so you have to be pretty accurate with your dosing, and that's why the Hydro guys were probably pushing you towards a simpler product so you don't have to worry (as much) about your EC.

Hope you 

Edited by teehee
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...