Do more than belong: participate.

Do more than care: help.

Do more than believe: practice.

Do more than be fair: be kind.

Do more than forgive: forget.

Do more than dream: work.

- William Arthur Ward

• Like 2

A Winner's Blueprint for Achievement BELIEVE while others are doubting. PLAN while others are playing. STUDY while others are sleeping. DECIDE while others are delaying. PREPARE while others are daydreaming. BEGIN while others are procrastinating. WORK while others are wishing. SAVE while others are wasting. LISTEN while others are talking. SMILE while others are frowning. COMMEND while others are criticizing. PERSIST while others are quitting

• Like 1

If you lived forever, you would never get out of bed, because you will always have tomorrow.

#now not later

Life's golden ticket is choice, every minute of every day we get too choose who we want to be.

Choose wisely.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

- Helen Keller

• Like 2

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

There are three kinds of people in this life:

Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who don't have a damn clue what just happened.

~George Bernard Shaw

• Like 2

The world breaks everybody. 

And afterwards some people are stronger in the places that broke.

~Ernest Hemingway

• Like 1

I didnt read the whole thread so I may have missed mention of what Im about to try to explain so forgive me ...I Like the thread for its positive take on self help and purveyors of such things I'm very much liking the things Gabor Mate has to say about childhood trauma , self destructive behavior and addiction , hes not much of a guru more of a doctor who has astute observations from all his hard work, very self effacing too

It strikes me that the path to a more fulfilled existence is really quite a lonely slog , I know putting out a good vibe reaps good vibes back thats not what I mean, more time if you feel shit its perhaps not coz you need a good scrub inside . Is is not possible that some of the shit feeling is a natural reaction to a shitty uncaring society based partly on ego driven acquisitive behavior, we are encouraged to covet more than share and no no amount of visualization can cure that,

I spent a while in ashrams in india looking for things that I found lacking in my western existence , after a particularly arduous time studying a specific type of Buddhist meditation in e India I went to see Jiddu Krishnamurti speak in Madras. He said 'Dont meditate , youre only sitting crosslegged with your mantra nothing else, your ego might feel better but how is anything improved by this navel gazing' i'm paraphrasing it was a flipping long time ago ...anyway

I was quite irritated at the time but I think he was right and if you watch any of his videos he is so infuriating because many folk come and find and old man asking them 'What is it that is wrong with your life ? what is wrong with the world ?' ..and when answers come he proceeds to ask what is to be done . Its not comfortable but the questions are essential because while we have been distracted by 'how can I have a more fulfilling life more fulfilling relationships ?' the very life we talk about our very existence is about to change beyond recognition if not disappear completely.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, cf said:

many folk come and find and old man asking them 'What is it that is wrong with your life ? what is wrong with the world ?' ..and when answers come he proceeds to ask what is to be done . Its not comfortable but the questions are essential because while we have been distracted by 'how can I have a more fulfilling life more fulfilling relationships ?' the very life we talk about our very existence is about to change beyond recognition if not disappear completely.

Isnt the thing he is trying to get you to look into is who is this person that wants to improve

I am far from an expert in eastern philosophies, 99% of my knowledge comes from Alan Watts but I think I get it, the person you think you are doesnt even exist, your ego is a tiny bit of what you are, think about it, you beat your heart grow your hair, breathe youre doing all these things without trying, your ego, personality whatever you want to call it ignores more than it takes in, to concentrate is to neglect everything else like when youre driving you focus ahead and ignore so so much, your ego is fuk all to the things you do

When you were born your mam and dad gave you a name and it was recorded that person is just an idea in peoples heads you dont really even exist!

If you can see this then the next step is realising that you are actually the universe, made of atoms  that big bang, the source of all the energy its you!, youre it the whole thing

I think this is a better explanation

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 4

JK does certainly flip the tables on you but never is he arcane or esoteric , it is always clear what hes driving at. He has very little time for mysticism yoga , anything but dialectical inquiry , quite at odds with the experiences I had in ashrams and pretty much a unique view in india tbh.

My last post seemed pretty gloomy up against all the 'things are not as they are ..they are as YOU are ' type helpful mottos that undoubtedly do help folk lurch along merrily. In fact I found something under my nose that addressed the problems my hard work and contemplation didnt . JK would have approved I'm sure

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing @cf

I didn't find it gloomy myself, a lot of truth in there!

And a couple of new names for me to look up and new knowledge to be absorbed.

That in itself is something to add to this morning's gratitude list :yinyang:

• Like 1