Cheap LED - whos got one??

Magicmunchietree

1 hour ago, highcontrast said:

I manage 100w cmh in a tiny space with 70cm height just fine. A  pc fan directed at the bulb and extraction at the end of the reflector. 

I personally think a 250w would be a little too much for 80cm2. A safer bet would be a dimmable 250/150w. (if they even exsist.

For anyone new to this thread looking for help then first you need to understand everyones situation is different, space/conditions/needs etc etc are all different.

Find the right light source for you and your situation be it led/hps/cmh and don't listen to people slating older tech.

I like what you say there. There is no right or wrong, light is light but each grow space is different from celler to loft. 

Yeah I'm really scratching my head at the minute, Im finding a 250 ballast and kit just as expensive as 600w online and im gobsmacked, gumtree has nothing either atm. I dont want to take a risk on paying money for HID then the room to be too hot. 

I dont mind drawing upto 300w at the socket, plus a 600w in flower and fans it would be around 1k, cool, id be well chuffed at that. As much as I HATE to say it, but it does seem like cheap blurples would be the coolest way of going with my height. Like everybody I'd love a CMH or a quantum but I cannot afford that. 

There is a cheaper option of going upto a 300w CFL but like 90% of people seem to have said. LEDs, HIDs, CMH are way better.

How much was your 100w CMH just out of curiosity?

I love my blurple! 

Its 5 years old now, but my buds are tight and my yields increase with each grow. Temps don’t worry me and the leccy bill is happy! 

Apollo12 LED - draws approx 400w from the wall. Only 3w led bulbs but hasn’t let me down yet. It cost about 700 quid back then but now see theyre about 400 quid. I’ve been looking for an additional LED add to my space and after a lot of headache and reading things I don’t understand I think I’ll just buy another out dated piece of chinese crap and crack on 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, assault and battery said:

I love my blurple! 

Its 5 years old now, but my buds are tight and my yields increase with each grow. Temps don’t worry me and the leccy bill is happy! 

Apollo12 LED - draws approx 400w from the wall. Only 3w led bulbs but hasn’t let me down yet. It cost about 700 quid back then but now see theyre about 400 quid. I’ve been looking for an additional LED add to my space and after a lot of headache and reading things I don’t understand I think I’ll just buy another out dated piece of chinese crap and crack on 

Im guessing you also flower under your LED also?

Given my short headroom, and all I'm looking to do is get the fastest growth from seed to young veg so they can then go into my big room under a 600w parabolic shade then the action can really begin. Looks like I have a very fine margin for cubic space to wattage without temps being crazy high. Id go with 250w MH if I was CERTAIN my temps would be nice (im not anal about being exact) but ya know, from clement to warm (mid to high 20s'). But im not confident at all. 

So today im feeling the pull towards a blurple. Somewhere around 300w, but if it draws less from the wall happy days.

• Like 1

I absolutely flower and veg under mine, I had a fair few grows with hps and did ok but temps were a battle. I did use my blurple in  a short tent (a lodge tent I believe)  and temps were fine, I just trained the girls up as best I could to accommodate the height restriction and the heat was a few degrees warmer than I would have liked but easily remedied by cranking up the exhaust fan.  I love the idea of CMH too, I’m just at the thinking if it ain’t broke... so it’s fully LED for me. It’s bloody hard I know as I’m the worst for buying crap and finding out it wasn’t what I needed. I am resigned to making expensive mistakes in many areas of my life... not just growing 

good luck with what you choose and fair play for doing your homework. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, assault and battery said:

I absolutely flower and veg under mine, I had a fair few grows with hps and did ok but temps were a battle. I did use my blurple in  a short tent (a lodge tent I believe)  and temps were fine, I just trained the girls up as best I could to accommodate the height restriction and the heat was a few degrees warmer than I would have liked but easily remedied by cranking up the exhaust fan.  I love the idea of CMH too, I’m just at the thinking if it ain’t broke... so it’s fully LED for me. It’s bloody hard I know as I’m the worst for buying crap and finding out it wasn’t what I needed. I am resigned to making expensive mistakes in many areas of my life... not just growing 

good luck with what you choose and fair play for doing your homework. 

Hehe yeah well said mate, funny thing is, nothings broke in my little room at the minute. But growth just isnt that fast, healthy green plants though. Height isnt the issue for growth, because by the time they get yea'r high (or when my flower show is finished) they go into the bigger room, so I actually want them to get as big as they can really. I know LEDs due to the blues, make plants nice and bushy. So we shall see. Just reading your diary now funny enough, that may well tempt me.

• Like 1

I kind of abandoned that diary but there’s a few pics in it worth looking at it :) 

1 hour ago, Magicmunchietree said:

How much was your 100w CMH just out of curiosity?

Was a while back but I am sure it was under £30. I wouldn't recommend it for your space tho.

I just looked up my specs for an old outbuilding grow box i used and that was 70cm2 with 200cm height and i run a 250w hps just fine. I even added a 110w LED for a short time too. Obviously my intake temps would of been colder compared to an indoor grow tho. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was given a cheap 600w led almost 2 weeks ago, it uses epistar chips and honestly even though I'm only vegging growth has been explosive compared to the cfl it replaced. It uses less electric than the cfl as well.

dont waste your money, stick with the 630cmh as you know it makes sense, those 300w LEDS are not 300w LEDS, theyre 55w so even if you got a few you'd still get a better return with CMH.

• Like 2

Cheap LEDs are rubbish. Please take the time to read some of the previous LED threads (including bazzos so you can see how utterly wrong he is) and some of the lighting threads I spent a lot of time pouring over to try and reduce the amount of "what <insert tech here> light should I use?" 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Budz Lightyear said:

I see your point mate, but tbh technology is changing all the time,. so this question is always going to come up. You could answer it today, and some new technology will come about which will throw the question up agin,. and again, lol. ;) led is definitely improving with cob tech, some people are having very good results

Well actually you don't see my point, and if you'd have read my thread you would've. Grow lights put out PAR lighting, when you do understand PAR it all falls into place RE plant lighting and the metrics we use to determine which unit is better than the other (LED or otherwise) regardless of whether the technology changes because the metrics stay the same... do you see my point yet?

As for cob tech, IMO they're old hat when f-strips and h-strips are more efficient, cheaper, and available plug n play for cheaper than alot of burple LEDs and cob based plug n play tech (looking at YOU spectrumking!)

20 minutes ago, Budz Lightyear said:

. As you have much expereince in this field, could you tell me, would you reccomend these/this type/cob led as a supplementary light source, or would you suggest something else??

Read the thread!! 

Granted, it could probably do with a little update as its a few years old now but the principle and metrics are ALL THE SAME, the same applies now as it did back then the only thing different is LED units have got better and come down in price so they're a viable option now where as a few years ago they simple were not due to extortionate price. 

• Like 1

Alright there @Budz Lightyear

You get what you pay for, either in money or time spent researching.

If you think they are worth a punt have a go document a grow, show the world, then we will all know.

I had a good go with a shit led, I thought it was alright at the time, I now know how wrong I was:rofl:

dont get me wrong it did grow weed that was good, but far far far from efficient. Good luck,Jj

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Budz Lightyear said:

I didn't read your thread,..But I understand PAR perfectly well lollol this aint my first rodeo, cowboy. I use cmh, switched from hps blah blah,... So with regards to that, no I don't see your point mate.

The metrics to measure plant lighting stays the same, even when the technology changes. You made this statement:

39 minutes ago, Budz Lightyear said:

this question is always going to come up. You could answer it today, and some new technology will come about which will throw the question up agin,. and again, lol. ;)

My point is this question doesn't have to keep coming up, as long as everyone understands what we're working with ie plant lighting and PAR metrics then no one needs to ask "what light should I use?" or "which light is best" - (no one can answer those questions anyway) - because they are fully tooled to go forth and research plant lighting options and decide which one is best for them. Whats best for me or what lighting I use might not be the best for you or the next man. The fact that technology gets more efficient is pretty irrelevant when the metrics stay the same. Are you seeing my point yet?? 

19 minutes ago, Budz Lightyear said:

i was just wondering about that particular unit as some supplementary:yep: Cheers.:cowboy:

Are you looking at supplementing to supplement the spectrum or to add more oomph to your 630w? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Budz Lightyear said:

I was speaking to Lumatek 2 years ago about cmh developement, long before there was a single cmh unit even on the uk market...

I stopped reading here because lights interaction via maxibright have been selling them in the UK for atleast 6 years. You don't know what you're talking about.