Cheap LED - whos got one??

Magicmunchietree

Hi all

I am looking to purchase a cheap LED for a tiny veg cab with limited height, around 90cm, its a small room and I currently have a 125w CFL in it. Enrionment is okay but I want higher wattage to cover 9 young plants and be able to raise my light up somewhat. I also know the LED will create some nice bushiness having used a bigger one before, and then I can really pump them in flower under a 600w digi hps in a parabolic. 

Thing is, being a Yorkshireman I am a tight arse, but I also know I do not need the advanced platinum sun shines out of the crystal backside of my creation series of light, just something with a max draw power of 300w from my socket, something equivalent to 300-450w of MH or HPS light. My imaginary budget is between £40-65. Can it be done? I know the tech is getting better all the time, and prices are coming down as more competitors come on the scene. Does anybody have a joyful story to tell of getting a bargain LED that literally just needs to 'do the job' nothing extra special. 

Ive considered HPS but even a smaller one will run too hot in there, and because of the space of the loft, flower room and veg cab do not want nor need to take on another ballast if I can avoid. 

Would ideally like to acheive 30w per plant so 9 x 30w somewhere around 300w of true wattage, but no more from its draw.

I have done lots of searching myself, so just wondered if anybody else knows anything. 

• Like 1

I'd seriously consider a 315w CMH system. True, its not cheap at around a min of £200, but it will blow CFL and LED out of the water.

Low temps also compared to HID.

Also, less is more when it comes to cramming in plants.  I'd say you would have more yield growing 4 maybe 5 in there.

That way you can easily clone each plant. I know from experience that planting up a fair few seeds can be a major pain when it comes to taking clones and labelling them and waiting to see what ones are worth keeping.

Whatever you do, best of luck there!

1 hour ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

I'd seriously consider a 315w CMH system. True, its not cheap at around a min of £200, but it will blow CFL and LED out of the water.

Low temps also compared to HID.

Also, less is more when it comes to cramming in plants.  I'd say you would have more yield growing 4 maybe 5 in there.

That way you can easily clone each plant. I know from experience that planting up a fair few seeds can be a major pain when it comes to taking clones and labelling them and waiting to see what ones are worth keeping.

Whatever you do, best of luck there!

In my experience a 260w quantum board led equals a D Papillon 315

• Like 3

my height is a little shorter than yours at 70cm, I'm also a tight arse and i don't think it gets cheaper than a bulb. I'm sure each bulb and holder cost me £6. 

large.bulbs.PNGlarge_70cm.PNG

Edited by highcontrast
  • Like 4

if its just a veg cab I would also go with the cfl option.if space is too tight for HPS

You can wire them all to one plug like so------0===0===0 hope this makes sense, I'm a bit baked. 

Ive also got a cheap led, but to be honest, its shite, total garbage, I keep meaning to threow it out, its that bad.

It turns electricity into thin air, it does grow plants, but its like they are in slo mo, even compared to CFLs, and that's saying something.

got a mars eco 300 w i think that would be ideal for you. Gives good light coverage all though i think its high in red light and not blue, i paid 53 quid theres pretty much no heat of these lights and found i can get the plants really close 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmungo said:

Appreciate the feedback, I've not used LED so may be a bit hasty in my remarks.

I know there are a ton of cheap LED units out there, not heard of this Quantum board so will investigate it.

Are the yields off this unit any decent?

• Like 2

quantum boards seem to have the edge due to there low power to high amount of useable light ratio i havent used them but am thinking of them for light upgrade  @Jibba jabba has a diary going on the real gorilla seeds section HERE and he is using HLG`s quantum led so i am gonna watch how he goes on with them to make my mind up and see if i fancy them.

• Like 3

@doobie01 I have a finished one in the hso section mate,Jibbers Hso lot, Qbs have been worth the investment for me:yep: 

Might even team them all up for the flower show, take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

I would love nothing more than to try a CMH one day, I know they arent cheap thats why Im still a CMH virgin. This is only to bring babies on until they are ready to go into my flower room under HPS. 

2 hours ago, Madmungo said:

Never heard of a quantum board, something for me to check out right now, cant hurt lol. Thanks :)

2 hours ago, highcontrast said:

my height is a little shorter than yours at 70cm, I'm also a tight arse and i don't think it gets cheaper than a bulb. I'm sure each bulb and holder cost me £6. 

large.bulbs.PNGlarge_70cm.PNG

I love it!! How many watts is each LED? and 3 in total yeah? Its one thing to think about at least, although its a lot of wiring and plugs needed. Id need 10 x 30watters if they go that high. 

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

if its just a veg cab I would also go with the cfl option.if space is too tight for HPS

You can wire them all to one plug like so------0===0===0 hope this makes sense, I'm a bit baked. 

Ive also got a cheap led, but to be honest, its shite, total garbage, I keep meaning to threow it out, its that bad.

It turns electricity into thin air, it does grow plants, but its like they are in slo mo, even compared to CFLs, and that's saying something.

It kinda makes sense, I know somebody who would be able to do that, Ive come across quite a few anti CFL threads on here which is making me think its not adequate amount of light to bring 9 plants up ready to flower. 

1 hour ago, plazid said:

got a mars eco 300 w i think that would be ideal for you. Gives good light coverage all though i think its high in red light and not blue, i paid 53 quid theres pretty much no heat of these lights and found i can get the plants really close 

I used MARS products before, I found it very strong (was the 600w hps equivalent). So a 300 might be the way, and at 53bar thats my price range. Does it draw 300 or output 300w?

46 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

quantum boards seem to have the edge due to there low power to high amount of useable light ratio i havent used them but am thinking of them for light upgrade  @Jibba jabba has a diary going on the real gorilla seeds section HERE and he is using HLG`s quantum led so i am gonna watch how he goes on with them to make my mind up and see if i fancy them.

Ill check these boards out, and Jibbas diary. Top man!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Magicmunchietree said:

How many watts is each LED? and 3 in total yeah? Its one thing to think about at least, although its a lot of wiring and plugs needed. Id need 10 x 30watters if they go that high. 

I can't find the original post that i took inspiration from but I recal someone with a square set-up of 9 and all run in parrallel. (dont quote me on that tho :smokin: )

Mine are run parrallel 12w each 6500k. I have had some 2700k's in their but seedlings always look for the 6500k so stuck with them. My flower space is the same size so i need to keep them as small as poss which these do. Although this is my first veg with the bulb domes removed so could go horribly wrong at any time soon :unsure:

• Like 1

i think its the pretty much the same as a 150 hps with less draw but could be wrong. was shocked at how cool it runs even compared to cfl, but the coverage i smuch better then a cfl imo

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, plazid said:

i think its the pretty much the same as a 150 hps with less draw but could be wrong. was shocked at how cool it runs even compared to cfl, but the coverage i smuch better then a cfl imo

That's good to know, I also found a good reviewed one on Amazon earlier for £79, I will be fine I'm sure!

For that price you wont find anything on par with a 400w hid setup tbh, the Mars 300 is 120w draw and their 600 version is only 240w they're really inefficient garbage, it would maybe be a slight upgrade from cfl though

• Like 1

google HLG 65 will do your job perfectly and cheap to run. Takes up very little space, nice and thin. Mount driver outside of grow space if space is tight.

• Like 3