Chocolate Mint OG Scrog under 2 x 600 DWC

ditchthedealer

Hey bro now I've got some Chocolate mint aero OGs I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress for pointers. Things are looking awesome so far, I look forward to seeing that net get filled out!

I take it nutes are lower in DWC because the plants have constant access to the feed and thus require a lower dose than if they were getting feed once a day or less? I noticed when feeding once a day in coco 1.2 EC was about right, but as soon as I was feeeing three times a day they were needing 0.8.

Glad you got the curling sorted out! Good luck with them mate

• Like 2

Those choc mints wont let you down, I can assure you she is a beautiful plant in every way, she even purples up beautifully at the end for a beautiful sight.

From what I have read, it is exactly how you explained it, being constantly in the feed in DWC they dont need to much food, in full bloom the last time I grew the choc mint she never went any higher than 0.9 but was somewhere in between that and 0.8, I have a digital ppm meter this time so Im going to attempt to really tune this dwc grow in this time and get them feeding exactly on the level they want. The blue truncheon is very good but because it only goes up in increments of 0.1 it wouldnt allow me to tune it right in...... Id use 0.9 and the next day it would be 1.0  in the rez so I would lower it to 0.8 and the next day it was 0.7. A digital meter will allow me to get it stable this time. I got cheap ones and for 15 quid for a set of ec/ppm and ph meters I was well impressed with them. I have been checking them constantly and they are working perfectly, in fact I am prefering the ec/ppm with temp meter better than the blue truncheon.

I would love to have a go at coco after the next few grows.

large.20170925_203622-747x1328.jpglarge.20170925_203254-747x1328.jpg

• Like 4

I feel you about the blue lab truncheon, it's a great bit of kit for starting out but when you really want to dial it in it's lacking in accuracy. It takes quite a lot of nutrient to jump from 400 to 500 so it's great to hear you've found a cheaper more accurate alternative.

I bought that yellow pH pen you have but I dropped it in a tray of water and it died. I was gutted because I liked its accuracy so order another. That turned up faulty so I paid a bit more and got this one.large.IMG_783.jpg

It automatically measures the water temp which I've never had before, and what a valuable bit of info that is. I'd been completely forgetting to warm the water up out of the tap, when I saw it was 15 degrees I realised why growth had been slow lol 

DWC and NFT really interest me but I know a few guys that are experienced with them and they put me off and guided me to coco. Their main reason of promoting coco was it's such a forgiving hydroponic medium, less prone to root rot and easier to dial in. 

Now starting to get to grips with coco I'm really falling in love with it, learning the subtle nuances of different feeding regimes has been pretty fun. I can't see myself trying any other form of hydro now, I had been contemplating drippers but I'm starting to see that whilst drippers are awesome to set and forget they don't provide the accuracy, or the ability to dial in like hand feeding drain to waste does. 

• Like 3

@Green demon Thats a nice chunky  looking PH pen, when I drop mine in I will get that one next lol, its only a matter of time unless I seal up the hole on the back of it. I even used the little sachet that comes with the ph pen and made 500ml of buffer 7 and 500ml of buffer 4 with it. My ec meter has the temp on it, but with having water heaters I dont really check my tanks unless checking my xstream prop tank.

So far Ive found DWC a doddle, I helped a friend complete a grow a few months ago and he didnt have the right extraction, he had a 6"extracting 2x600 with passive intakes and we still managed 12 oz under each light of very dry lack of colour bud, but it was potent and had flavour... the temps went up to 37c on many days at every level, canopy, floor, ceiling etc and was never under 32 lights on when in full flower, but I got a 5l container of hydrogen peroxide for ten quid and we used it every 3 days and had no root rot....... It was out of my hands that grow I was just there to help, thats how Ive got myself involved in a 3rd grow. Ive been running bubblers none stop now through summer and still no problems, I think good extraction and a water change EVERY week with out fail keeps problems away, Im using that H&G root excelurator now and thats suppose to prevent root rot also.

I might do 1 light of coco to start with witha tank and drippers, I just want to get some experience of it under my belt really, and want to make growing as less work as possible. Im really impressed with the DWC though  tbh.

• Like 2

I don't blame you for not wanting to change sytems mate. You are having really solid results, beautiful healthy plants and it is a system you know well :)

I do think if making the swap to coco then as you said do a 1 plant test with varied methods for feeding to find what is best for you and your grow style :)

The plants are looking great. Nice to see the net is now in place this will definitely help widen out the ladies this will also allow much deeper light penetration and distribution :yep:

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to update your diary. We are living the detail you are putting in and tgabj you for the added pictures very much appreciated!

Until the next one :bong:

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

• Like 2

PH of 7 is quit high. Is there a reason you run at that measurement chap? That's surprised me seeing that.

Have to say I'm quite tempted by the Choc Mint! I'm liking what I've seen and tried of HSO and I do like the old mint aeros so it just makes sense. :D

@HSO-Mark It wont be for a while I do the coco I'm really enjoying the bubblers.

Plants have really started coming on now, no more curling just lush new growth I will get more photos up later.

@Snowziff lol its nothing to worry about mate, I had just put the food in when I took that photo and was yet to correct the PH in the rez I was excited to show the meter off, I shoudl have waited till I phd really lol I start at 5.7 and let it drift upwards to 6.2 then reset, sometimes I put to much in and start it at 5.5, but it doesn't seem to harm them.

The choc mints will not let you down I will keep them  on the go for a long time to come, I got this pheno as a clone and is my joint fave vape at the moment, the taste she delivers is something special, exactly as described on the tin or should I say wooden box, everyone I know that has tasted this one I got goes mad about it, sick of them asking for a spliff of it tbh lol

• Like 2

nice roots forming on them. i do love to grow the odd dwc plant, they always grow massive and totally out perform soil yield wise.

as you say yours tastes better than soil if anything. i found that stopping the feed and bubbling just water for 10 days gave a really smooth smoke compared to some soil/organic girls i had in the same grow. some went 14 days just water,as you can imagine they yellowed lots. 

il pull up a chair for your diary, love seeing how fast they veg in dwc:yinyang:

• Like 3

@smokie1 b c f c Roots are forming very fast and plants are drinking more and more now, that root excelurator has done the roots wonders in comparison to without. Ive really enjoyed doing the dwc, less mess, yield, size of nugs.  In the last week I just give them water until they yellow rapidly and there is no leaching into the rez this has been giving me very smooth tasty buds, I really dont think they need a long flush in DWC the process is happening so quickly with access to the water at all times.  Glad to have you along looking in!

large.20170928_191129-1328x747.jpg

They are running on two Omega Digis.
large.20170928_191206-747x1328.jpg
The green lamp at the bottom comes in handy lights out.

• Like 3

yeah i see what you mean about the plants roots growing in water all the time,with a weekly res change there is no nute build up. so if you dont over feed ,and bubble just water for the last week it smokes sweet,with a real light grey ash. 

i was using the hydrotops nutes in the last dwc plant i did.i was impressed with the results,i never had to ph with it aswell.  i use the old 15 to 25l oxypot bucket dwc tho. ive never run a brummie bubbler before,but ive seen some monster crops of cheese coming from just one plant per light in brummy bubs. with a good full screen before flip you can produce copious amounts of buds. 

i need me a green light for lights out,as im always spraying them with seaweed

all the best with them. be some good basket of buds for christmas stash for you. im on one to make my crimbo stash with loads of diff seeds. lol 

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing a little more of your grow room mate, very nice set up :)

I have found with dwc.  When done right you will find no better growing system and you sound to have yours dialed in and producing super healthy plants with very nice vigour growth :)

Nice update mate :) Thank you for taking the time out of your day to do this really appreciated!

Until the next one :bong:

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

@smokie1 b c f c I never new that about hydrotops, I have used them in soil, but I wouldnt mind cutting out all this PH'ing malarky, does my nut in.

Those green lights come in ever so handy, they allow me to get things done if I cant be there normal hours.

I like the sound of having more variety, my next grow I should have 4 strains going I hope, I'll have to put up with lemon haze and chocolate mint for Christmas.

@Michael Luchóg Thanks for popping in! ..... You haven't seen the floor yet lol you might change your mind lol.

No worries @HSO-Mark just in time for another update. Looks like I'm going to have to start a second diary off early........

...........now I sprouted some of the new seeds!

Things are progressing along nicely, large.20171002_180941-1328x747.jpg
Plants are picking up pace and drinking more and more, they will get a complete tank change tomo.

I like to take plenty of cuttings to fine tune my technique, after 5 days the chocolate mint cuttings in an aero prop with airstones and are producing roots nicely. I kept the temp at 22-23c and used clonex, root excelurator at 0.05ml pl  and made my ec up to 0.4 with Sensi Grow and I am keeping my PH around 6, keeping it at 6 apart from slight rises has got me roots quicker than when I have PH'd at 5.8. I wish I had two props to do a test to find out what PH roots quicker as I am hearing conflicting results and would like to find out for myself, I haven't seen any issues with this feed in the prop. The chocolate mints clearly like to clone easily, another bonus for this great plant!
large.20171002_163335-747x1328.jpg

Outdoor Choc Mint.
large.20170929_181952-1328x747.jpg

• Like 6