BIOS problem.

Sasquatch

Have you tried changing the bios battery for a new one ?

I think it's a cr2032 battery if you haven't changed it.

Thanks Greenfinger I'm downloading it now, seems more useful than Hiren's which is full of apps you can get elsewhere and  nothing useful for BIOS.

It is a new battery JH. 

Ime if you try booting a windows hdd that's been installed on a computer to another one with all different hardware it does tend stop loading because the drivers are allover the place.

• Like 2

What are the graphic outputs mate and which ones are you using? On my gigabyte m/b I can't get on bios unless I'm connected via vga, it won't let me onto it when connected via hdmi so I have to install windows first via vga, install drivers and then use hdmi.

Edited by indicatoker420

57 minutes ago, indicatoker420 said:

Ime if you try booting a windows hdd that's been installed on a computer to another one with all different hardware it does tend stop loading because the drivers are allover the place.

I'm not expecting much from that HDD but it happens when I'm trying to run setup for a fresh install, which surely it shouldn't affect?

I'm connecting via VGA now, it's an old enough board to favour VGA over DVI or HDMI, but I can get into the BIOS anyway. Trouble is it only stays visible for about a minute.

I was wondering if the boot problem is being caused by it choosing UEFI boot by default, maybe all the OSes I've tried only install on what is now called advanced mode? I've tried changing it but having problems getting it to stay in advanced. 

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Trouble is it only stays visible for about a minute.

It's the screen! All this black screen after a minute stuff is nothing to do with drivers or boot fuckups it's just this shite tiny 3:4 dead pixelled monitor I got given by some pisshead who was trying to blag painkillers off me. I'm only using it now because my usual one got stolen a few weeks ago. I connected it up to this laptop and got it displaying the laptop's screen and it died after about a minute just like it does with everything I try on the new PC.

So that monitor is off to the binyard and I will have to get the new 27 inch 180 quid replacement out of it's box and plug into that. However that means getting the new table in place and rearranging everything in that part of the living room so there is no chance I end up breaking the fucker. All that will take me some time, but hopefully I will have all this sorted when I come back.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 6:56 AM, Sasquatch said:

It's the screen! All this black screen after a minute stuff is nothing to do with drivers or boot fuckups it's just this shite tiny 3:4 dead pixelled monitor I got given by some pisshead who was trying to blag painkillers off me. I'm only using it now because my usual one got stolen a few weeks ago. I connected it up to this laptop and got it displaying the laptop's screen and it died after about a minute just like it does with everything I try on the new PC.

So that monitor is off to the binyard and I will have to get the new 27 inch 180 quid replacement out of it's box and plug into that. However that means getting the new table in place and rearranging everything in that part of the living room so there is no chance I end up breaking the fucker. All that will take me some time, but hopefully I will have all this sorted when I come back.

lol .... yeah , sometimes when windows actually 'kicks in' it changes the refresh rate , and often its out of range of some screens