BIOS problem.

Sasquatch

Sometimes I long for the days when I got by with a Pentium 4, 1Gb RAM and XP. Just installed a new Asus Socket 1155 board and the BIOS won't let me in. No matter what keyboard I try and how many times I press or hold down either Delete button all I get is about 1 second of the UEFI version of the BIOS then a blank screen. Sometimes the American Megatrends page appears briefly but that's all apart from "boot manager missing " messages which I assume are due to their being no Windows installed.

Any suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

No there isn't, nor is there a reset switch. Nothing wants to boot either no matter which drive is plugged in, a Windows disc in will spin but doesn't autorun.

I,m no wizard but I think you need to enter the bios to set it up.....turn off pc completly.  Then turn on as it boots continuely press the either   F10  /  F8  /  or F1 key this should take you straight to the bios setup screen....!....

I've tried F1 but it's supposed to be Delete for Asus boards. Just tried booting with an HDD with a Windows on it, got as far as the "starting Windows" screen then nothing. WTF?

If you're using a Kaby Lake processor you might have received a board that needs a BIOS update before you can use it, if you have a Skylake put it in and make sure to install the latest BIOS update. If you don't have a skylake spare then take/send the board back and ask them to make sure to send you a board with the updated bios.

If you're just using a Skylake processor disregard this.

Actually I'm slumming it with a 2nd generation i3.

Just tried again with the HDD and get a b&w screen with Start Recovery or Start Windows normally messages but whichever I choose nothing follows.It's not making it's mind up whether it's booting off the old Windows install which was on another board. Maybe next time I try booting something else will happen, if it can get that far maybe it can boot a Windows disc.

My only other bright idea is videoing the screen with my phone during the start up then freezing on a frame with the Asus brand screen on it, to see WTF the text actually says. Which probably won't help much either.

process of elimination ... take out all drives/discs , boot with just ram to get into bios .. if thats ok you know its one of the drives it doesnt  like 

• Like 1

Yes I get normal POST single short beep.

Thanks Zero I'm trying that.

e2a just succeeded with the screen video trick, it just says press Delete to get into UEFI BIOS and nothing about what they call advanced BIOS which is of course the actual BIOS as always was.

Edited by Sasquatch

sounds more like an issue with windows though , half installing or that lousy 'recovery' bollocks that never works ... I used to have a disc called 'live xp' sorted everything out like that ... that hirens boot cd is similar 

• Like 1

you can press the pause button on yhe keyboard to pause the post screen. 

strip it down to just one stick of ram, CPU and motherboard. 

if that doesn't help then try re-seating tje CPU..  look for bent pins in the socket when you (carefully) remove it. 

39 minutes ago, zero said:

half installing or that lousy 'recovery' bollocks that never works .

Too right, I get the startup repair screen now and it does it's thing then screen goes black. Might burn myself a Hiren's disc and try that though there isn't much relevant-looking on it.

e2a

you can press the pause button on yhe keyboard to pause the post screen. 

Thanks Greenfinger will try that.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Have you been able to use any keyboard commands in post at all?

I use an 1155 board and iirc had to use a ps/2 adapter to get into bios, and (stupidly) could then enable usb in the bios settings. Though possible that was my previous board, memory is very foggy, I installed this board about 6/7 years ago now, when 1155 first came out lol

Edited by iBMe
  • Like 2