BIOS problem.

Sasquatch

31 minutes ago, iBMe said:

Have you been able to use any keyboard commands in post at all?

The up/down/enter commands work on the repair/normal start screen, but the Pause button didn't do anything at the Asus screen. I've tried PS2 keyboards and 3 USB ones.

Next trick will be plugging in the SSD too and maybe the boot process can find what it wants in that one's Windows.

I have tried one drive or the other, a brand new hard drive with no Windows on it and keep getting the same thing, it gets to the "Windows is loading files" screen and half way through goes blank.  This has happened with 7 and an Ubuntu live disc. The BIOS screen did show up once but went again by the time  I had got the crappy old USB mouse working, very frustrating !

I press Del when the Asus screen comes up and nothing happens.

Feel free to regard this thread as for entertainment purposes only, I'm stumped for ideas too.

I want to say it's F10 on asus bios? Unplug all USB inputs if you have any. They can interfere. I had the same problem and it was because i still had a gamepad plugged in!

• Like 1

Asus have been known to use DEL, INS and F10 across their boards for accessing BIOS features. If the rear USB or PS2 doesn't work have you tried front access USB linked to the Jumpers? Also the clear CMOS jumper, or take the battery out for a few minutes.

Have you got a spare USB you can try creating a bootable with and leaving the CD/DVD-R unplugged?

As has already been mentioned strip the hardware  back to the bare minimum,find the bios reset jumper on the motherboard and do a bios reset,fire up the machine and stab the del key from the moment  you power up as if your playing track an field

disconnect the power cord, pull out the watch type battery to reset the cmos, press power button to discharge all the capacitors. put the battery back in and try again.

standard quick fix for everything if you work with computers. 

Edited by Greenfinger53
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone I will work through the suggestions. I don't think this board has a BIOS reset jumper and I've tried the RTC jumper and clock battery . Might be the USB problem thanks for that Prophet.

Well I did the clock jumper and rearranged the drives so the CD is on SATA 1, HDD on SATA 2 etc. and this time the BIOS came up and stayed visible long enough to reveal it has read the hardware but disappeared before I could change anything and hasn't been back since.

Still Windows setup will start but stops again half way through the file loading screen. FFS!

Sounds like it could be either a faulty power supply or faulty RAM. Im assuming you've tried swapping out/reseating the RAM already? Is your PSU up to the job?

Would the setup process stop at exactly the same stage? Nothing wrong with the PSU maybe something up with the RAM but if they weren't seated properly I wouldn't get POST beep OK.

it sound's like your drive with window's on it could be corrupted, it happened to me in feb with my new pc & my pc locked up, even when starting it got half way to loading window's & just froze,

I had another hdd at hand so I had to loaded window's onto that to get going & once I was, I used a hdd sata caddy to back up my important data on my main hdd & do a fresh install of window's.

What is the exact model of the motherboard? (will be printed on it somewhere if you dont know)

I was thinking that JH but he says it wont boot live discs either.. :g: Are you burning these discs fresh Samsqantch? Maybe try buring them at a low speed 4x or using a bootable usb drive instead.

• Like 1

It's an Asus P8H61, a micro ATX Socket 1155.

I've used these discs before all OK.

One of the HDDs has the Windows 7 used by this PC on it's previous board, another is new and has no OS on it, and I'm not sure what is on the SSD. 

I can't think of any BIOS setting which would interrupt a OS setup process but this keeps on happening. Maybe I will get lucky with the BIOS screen again.

e2a just now started getting the BIOS screen up consistently but again not for long. I suppose if I tweak-save-restart enough times something might change .

Edited by Sasquatch

Can you get a copy of 'UBCD' Ultimate Boot CD, either on a bootable USB drive or a CD. 

-Run memtest to test the ram

-seatools for the Hard disk drive, or any other manufacture specific test on there.