Blues, Bubs and Strawberries

Black Venus

Thanks @Blunt_Wit. Yes I'd be the first to admit it can be quite terrifying growing in a private garden. No matter how secluded the plot is, you can't account for things outside your control: window-cleaners, kids building tree houses, neighbours suddenly deciding to replace fence panels, or having scaffolding put up on their roof, or just being nosey bastards and putting a stepladder up to have a gander. But proper guerrilla growing isn't a viable option for me (much as I admire those of you who do it) so I just have to be careful and hope for the best. I mix it all up with the vegetable crops to help it blend in. It really is amazing what people don't notice even when it's right in front of their noses ... not that I'm being complacent about it.

The autos have just gone into the rootrainers – Original Amnesia, Blue Amnesia XXL, Haze 2.0 and Sour Diesel – so my season is now started. Photoperiod plants will follow in a couple of weeks. Not much to show at the moment so here's a really exciting photo of a bag of compost. Whooooooo!

large.DSC_3460.jpg.3cbe6eef1ceec2ea3cd08

• Like 2

All four auto seeds are up and running.

First out of the soil was Haze 2.0 Auto ... aaaaaand she's trifoliate!

large.DSC_0385.jpg.ad4c2c35764127177570d

large.DSC_0379.jpg.5134548c2dbc7ca6aa798

• Like 6

While not entirely relevant for this diary, I thought I'd show a pic of some Strawberry Amnesia x Double Durban hacks which I'm just testing out. The mum was a Dinafem beauty and the dad(s) were a pair of males from Eelhelmet's breeding, received as subbies last year. Not sure quite what to expect from this cross but they're bursting with good genes.

These hacks will be going in for subbie seeds very soon so I did a germination test and then potted up a small selection of them to make sure they grow normally. ;) So far so good.

large.DSC_0373.jpg.2c7b308c40c7b87e4775a

• Like 5

Like the sound of those hacks :)

About chicken poop, an old  boy told me you can avoid waiting for it to rot down by burning it through a fire, like burn your garden waste in a burning bin with the poop in and after fires done poop should be good.

Haven't confirmed this though, maybe you or someone else might know about it?  Also if you want to get some more check out preloved lots of farmers get rid of there shire there and I've found one near me selling 10kilos for 1£ or 10 bags (100k) for £8 so I'm going to see him soon :)

Good luck with your mission :)

• Like 2

Thanks @mr_git, I look forward to seeing how the hacks do for you in due course.

Not come across the poo-burning idea before but it makes sense. I'd not want to be standing downwind of it mind.

I'd never thought of looking on Preloved for manure supplies, it's a good idea. Preloved shit – what's not to like? lol 

• Like 3

Best of luck mate, I hope you get them to finish in time. At least in the garden you can keep an eye on them and give them a shake often in October.  Do you get much breeze in that plot? As for height, if you did germ before April you could top multiple times and get really strong bushes with a good root system before they go into flower :)

• Like 2

Thanks @jadenugs – yes there is a reasonable breeze through the plot because the garden is long and narrow and tends to form a bit of a wind tunnel. But there is a hedge/fence on two sides of the plot – necessary for stealth but it doesn't help the airflow or sunlight. So it is really a case of being vigilant for mould and keeping it under control when it inevitably appears. Ah, when we're free of legal restrictions (if it ever bloody happens in my lifetime) I'll grow huge beautiful breezy plants right in the middle of the garden without having to make a trade-off between sunshine and stealth.

• Like 1

Don't you just love this time of year, when all the diaries are full of "Ooh look, my seedlings have grown another millimetre!"

Well, here are my autos at one week old (ignore the three in the top row, those are D*tch P***ion strains). The Haze seedling has another set of leaves coming through, still with the whorled phyllotaxy. I've not had one continue with the threefold leaves this far before ... it may grow out of it or it may give me a nice bushy plant with three branches per node.

large.DSC_3506.jpg.9b2135dd11601ca0223f2

And here's where they're going to live. The greenhouse border has been well prepped over several weeks with fresh compost, Ecothrive Charge (mealworm poo), biochar, chicken poo and bonemeal. I've been watering it too to help the nutrients break down, as it obviously gets pretty dry inside a greenhouse. It's gorgeous soil now and the plants will be going into it this weekend, probably. I try to get autos out of their Rootrainers 12-14 days after germination so as not to slow them down.

large.DSC_0391.jpg.cc69e9c939e9a4c998e32

• Like 2

Nice one man. Looking forward to seeing how the blue Thai does and would love to get my hands on those subbies when they arrive

• Like 1

On 20/04/2017 at 4:43 PM, mr_git said:

Like the sound of those hacks :)

About chicken poop, an old  boy told me you can avoid waiting for it to rot down by burning it through a fire, like burn your garden waste in a burning bin with the poop in and after fires done poop should be good.

Haven't confirmed this though, maybe you or someone else might know about it?  Also if you want to get some more check out preloved lots of farmers get rid of there shire there and I've found one near me selling 10kilos for 1£ or 10 bags (100k) for £8 so I'm going to see him soon :)

Good luck with your mission :)

This is a great tip. There are so many farmers that want to get rid of there manure some will give for free or a small amount of money. 

When we work at the alotment we get a truck full dropped of and the old guy just says "cover my fuel" needless to say we pay a little more as it is a great conception and we are doing both a favour. 

Thanks for sharing this mate :)

As for the chicken poop and fire I can not say yes or know on this :)

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 2

On 25/04/2017 at 7:20 PM, Black Venus said:

Don't you just love this time of year, when all the diaries are full of "Ooh look, my seedlings have grown another millimetre!"

Well, here are my autos at one week old (ignore the three in the top row, those are D*tch P***ion strains). The Haze seedling has another set of leaves coming through, still with the whorled phyllotaxy. I've not had one continue with the threefold leaves this far before ... it may grow out of it or it may give me a nice bushy plant with three branches per node.

large.DSC_3506.jpg.9b2135dd11601ca0223f2

And here's where they're going to live. The greenhouse border has been well prepped over several weeks with fresh compost, Ecothrive Charge (mealworm poo), biochar, chicken poo and bonemeal. I've been watering it too to help the nutrients break down, as it obviously gets pretty dry inside a greenhouse. It's gorgeous soil now and the plants will be going into it this weekend, probably. I try to get autos out of their Rootrainers 12-14 days after germination so as not to slow them down.

large.DSC_0391.jpg.cc69e9c939e9a4c998e32

The 3 leafed haze is very interesting.  I have had this occur but usually the 2nd set of true leaves this trait disappears. Yours on the other hand looks like she maybe a 3 way all the way and I have never seen this so for sure the team are watching to see how this turns out :yep:

All plants look super healthy and there home for the season is perfect :)

Keep up the great work and thank you for the picture updates very much appreciated! 

Until the next one :bong:

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2017 at 5:51 PM, Black Venus said:

Thanks @mr_git, I look forward to seeing how the hacks do for you in due course.

Not come across the poo-burning idea before but it makes sense. I'd not want to be standing downwind of it mind.

I'd never thought of looking on Preloved for manure supplies, it's a good idea. Preloved shit – what's not to like? lol 

Preloved shit lol

Got to love your guys humor :yep: always brightens my day ;)

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 2

Gotta have a larf. lol 

Not sure Gumtree shit would be as nice. :wacko: 

Thanks for stopping by @Dinafem-Mark – I'm glad you're able to retain a sense of humour when you have about 500 diaries to read and comment on. :) 

• Like 1