Blues, Bubs and Strawberries

Black Venus

Welcome to my Dinafem diary. :hippy: If you’re doing one of your own, I wish you a happy summer of sunshine, stealth and very low humidity.

The two strains I chose from Dinafem’s generosity are:

Blue Thai

Bubba Kush

Neither of them I’ve tried before, and I partly chose them because I haven’t seen that many people growing them outdoors in the UK. Somebody’s got to, haven’t they?

I’ve got a fair few Dinafem seeds in my seedbox already, both photoperiod and autos, and I will include those as well – when I’ve decided which ones to go with. My space is limited so I will have some tough decisions to make.

Here is my beautiful plot in early March, still sporting last year’s corpses.

large.DSC_0364.jpg.583da68853df25bc44e3a

This time last year I was given a few sacks of newly-pooped chicken shite (yes I have got some generous friends) but it was far too fresh to use so I stacked it up in a trench at the back of the main plot and left it there to cook. 12 months later it’s just right, so after clearing the bed and giving it its first rough dig, it was a simple task to rake the rotted poo over the soil and dig it in for some further cooking. I added some seaweed meal to the soil at the same time to get those little microbes jumpin’. 

Here it is after my efforts, looking a lot better.

large.DSC_3374.jpg.f67c2b47a596a09795fba

• Like 10

My seeds arrived! Woohoo!

I could hear the postman coming up the driveway with a jiffy bag with that distinctive “Dinafem jingle” which you get from the plastic vials rattling around inside the metal pop tins. I love those tins! So I’m really chuffed to have another two tins as well as the seeds themselves.

Bubba Kush and Blue Thai will get pride of place in the main plot.

The other likely contenders are:

Strawberry Amnesia (a favourite from last year which will get a proper spot in the plot this time)

Blue Cheese (a freebie with my last order from Dinafem)

Critical + (given to me in a private swapsie with a friend)

large.DSC_3438.jpg.fdc26f7581580e7b0f1c7

… and some autos …

Haze 2.0 (grew some last year and bloody loved it)

Blue Amnesia XXL (ditto)

Original Amnesia auto (freebie from a well-known seed seller)

Sour Diesel auto (another freebie from another well known seed seller)

large.DSC_3435.jpg.9c8d86bab2abae42c3053

Now I just have to wait another month to plant them… grunt grunt.

• Like 8

Thanks @beezee, I have a sheltered and southerly plot so if we get a reasonable season then they'll be fine. If we get a shite season, well, we'll see how they cope. I thought it would be nice to try some of the strains which are less commonly grown. 

• Like 3

Hopefully you don't be showing everyone what not to grow... 

Your plot sounds and looks great, if anyone can pull it off it should be you. I'll be looking on enviously from the rain soaked hills and mountains.

• Like 3

Nice little spot in your garden there ! Like Beezer said very interesting strains you're growing hope they do well for you your a braver man than me

• Like 2

Thanks all for the good wishes.

The Blue Thai is a Blueberry x Thai Skunk cross according to the catalogue, and is supposed to flower in 60 days, which is doable for me in my N51 climate. I got a decent crop off Strawberry Amnesia last year which is a 65-day bloomer, so it can be done. The Blue Thai is also supposed to be mould-resistant and well-suited to outdoors, so got to be worth a go. :) 

If I'm a bit experimental in my strain choices sometimes, it's because experience has taught me that I can get away with it much of the time. When I started growing in the late 1990s there were no online communities to learn this sort of stuff from and it actually never crossed my mind that some types of weed were less suitable to grow outdoors in the UK. I just bought seeds of whatever strain I fancied and didn't even think about it. lol Only once, in all those years, did I have a couple of plants which didn't manage to finish and they were pretty much pure sativas. A lot of it is also down to the luck of the weather of course, because everything struggles to finish if it pisses with rain all summer. So I work on the basis that I'll try anything if I like the look of it, just to see how it does. Very often you get nice surprises. :) 

• Like 5

Firstly thank you for getting your outdoor grow diary up and running :) , secondly a nice looking small plot and some great prep work already started and thirdly great to hear the seeds have landed :)

We will be watching with interest and I'll be back in on the next update :oldtoker:

Until then again thank you for starting your diary and best of luck this season it is going to be one heck of a season and we at Dinafem are happy to have you along and documenting you endeavours :yep:

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 2

Good luck bv,  particularly interested in the strawberry amnesia, I have a seed lying around, and I'm at a similar lat to you. All this activity on the outdoor threads is getting me the bug! 

All the best :yinyang:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Openairbud, I hope you have a great season. Strawberry Amnesia is a slightly late finisher for outdoors but worth it for the high! Very euphoric and chirpy.

@Dinafem-Mark Thank you for dropping by, and for all the great work you do for this community. The small plot will take about seven photoperiod plants. Any others I grow will be dotted around the garden in individual spots, as I find this helps to stop the smell building up too strongly in any one place. Then there's the greenhouse, which should take eight autos (five in the border, and three in pots).

Right, so I'm holding off sowing my photoperiod seeds until late April, because I don't want them to get too big. Growing in a back garden creates a different set of problems from guerrilla growing – the real crunch factors being height and stink. Big plants can become quite a liability for me so I work on the basis of trying to get quality rather than quantity.

So it's all prep work at the moment – including fixing up a trellis and wires near the top of the fence and training some ornamental climbing shrubs along the fence tops, so that I can get a good extra foot or so of height between me and next-door. This will lose me a little bit of sunlight in my plot but will give much better stealth, making it harder for nosey neighbours to come peeking.

One thing I have in abundance at the moment is a crop of sprightly young nettles, so those have been getting decapitated and chucked into a bucket to make some vile-smelling nitrogen tea.

large.DSC_3458.jpg.d6ff9a1a3ef25247a9280

Last year I made my nettle tea in a bucket and just covered it over with a thick polythene compost sack. This seemed like a good idea until I was decanting the slop and found that there had been an inadvertent blood sacrifice. :shock:  Something had stepped or landed on the polythene and fallen into the bucket, never to see the light of day again. It was so decomposed I couldn't even tell what it was, poor little thing, though I admit I didn't inspect it too closely. Some kind of bird or small mammal. All good fertiliser I suppose, but I don't want it to happen again so I'm making my nettle tea in a container with a fitted plastic lid this time. Lesson learned, bleeuurk.

I've been digging last year's composted chicken manure into the various plots and the plants should love that, but unfortunately it seems that my supply has now come to an end. The friend who used to give me the chicken shite tells me that he isn't keeping chickens any more and has converted his chicken shed into an aviary and filled it with budgies! I'm not sure budgie shite is much use to me, to be honest. Even if it makes suitable manure, I doubt they can produce it in useful quantities – they have got pretty small arses.

Oh well, there's never any shortage of shit in this world, so something will turn up.

• Like 2

:) Ha Ha, well thats me off to change the container that i'm making nettle tea in then.      Still recovering from my own 'whats that smell' moment when I moved an old watering can that was just sat in the corner of the garden, full of water and decomposing snails and the stench was bad enough from that :puke:

GL for the season, i have done a couple of autos in the garden and it can be a tense time, what with the smell, neighbors, window cleaner, etc.     If the photos get too big you can always cut them right back prior to flowering:ninja: ATB