Ecothrive Biosys

VikingDee

Ive used this in my biobizz soil on the reccomendation of my go to plant shop, it seems to work good and the mix ratio means it lasts ages,il be giving my plants another dose next watering.

slightly under the weather plants benefit from it greatly i think, i noticed a big improvement in one of my plants that seemed to be struggling and after this it perked up and looked fine since.

cheers.

@Owderbhello mate, when using with cuts how are ya using it if ya don't mind me asking?....are ya using it to soak the cuts and as a foliar feed?

I'm just watering it in mate when Ive potted the cuts on after rooting with just 2ml/ltr of first feed. I don't use full strength nutes with the tea because that is what it advises as it will probably kill the Bennies

I dont foliage feed at all mate

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not weed related as such, but this stuff (on first impressions) has done an amazing job on a Clematis of mine with powdery mildew. One application has cleared up the majority, and I expect with another application or two it'll be completely gone. Bodes well for the mold-tempting varieties, I reckon.

• Like 2

I've been treating some Quercus trees with severe rust fungus with it. I joined a Facebook chat group to discuss it and they all started coating me saying i was paying money for nothing and that there was already mycorr. fungi in soil so I was just pissing in to the wind. It was on the cusp of becoming a real shit fest as they started asking me for scientific studies that were conclusive in the results, which of course, there aren't many of. There are loads underway but none finished up. It's basically new science which is inconclusive. All the signs point that mycorrhizal fungi does benefit plants - the 'association' thing but that they're not sure exactly how and it's effects on different species of plants.

It deffo works on weed plants. I wouldn't over use it though. A couple of applications in veg certainly perked mine up.

36 minutes ago, Mestizo said:

I've been treating some Quercus trees with severe rust fungus with it. I joined a Facebook chat group to discuss it and they all started coating me saying i was paying money for nothing and that there was already mycorr. fungi in soil so I was just pissing in to the wind. It was on the cusp of becoming a real shit fest as they started asking me for scientific studies that were conclusive in the results, which of course, there aren't many of. There are loads underway but none finished up. It's basically new science which is inconclusive. All the signs point that mycorrhizal fungi does benefit plants - the 'association' thing but that they're not sure exactly how and it's effects on different species of plants.

It deffo works on weed plants. I wouldn't over use it though. A couple of applications in veg certainly perked mine up.

Must admit, it was a instinctual decision rather than a knowledge based one - I was pretty chemmy and reductionist until a few years back, so need to deepen the knowledge now I've gone all organic holistic. It just made sense.

Their 'Charge' is great stuff, too, I found. I was getting odd deficiencies (very soft water) and they're all gone now...  Although, a sprog of mine has a Gecko so the meal worms we give it as a treat are fed well and I use what they leave behind.... Same shit, innit :)

I'm a big fan of their 'charge', and have used a sample pack of this biosys on my current grow and the side (8 plants) which got it is slightly bigger than the control side a few weeks into flower. Problem is (as with most microbial products) knowing if it's the mycs & bacteria, or just the added humic and seaweed powders. Watering with AMF is known to be much less effective for colonisation than direct contact with the rootball, so I wonder why they only suggest watering it in..

I've also used a small amount on an ailing mango seedling (iron def I think, apparently a common problem) but too soon to see any effect yet.. Incidentally all of the pots in the flower tent have mushrooms growing out of them now, which is odd but could well just be coincidence (I've had mushrooms grow in coco a few times). 

edit for spelling.

Edited by uBercaMeL
  • Like 1

Yeah, I often think about...erm...attribution. What's doing what, and what's just noise or self gratification (which I'm not opposed to, I just like to know the difference.)

I had the high idea (sativa) to do as measured and consistent as possible compost-tea-of-sorts, seeding with compost from pots of various feed/mix regimes, then doing a headcount in a given area of a slide via a cheap microscope -  just to get an idea. With tiny measured drops it could be a hint, if everything is equal.

But, well, then you come down don't ya :D

And on that clematis, as a foliar, it's been fucking great. Wish I'd done before/after pic.

Edit, as I've got a quiet day...

This is a 'Lilly', from Original Deleicatessen (I shall hold back my gushing here, but I really like this strain). It's in a 3l sq pot as my space is tiny, it's about 18-20" tall... .Can't remember base compost of that batch right now, but usually add about 10% (by vol) worm casting, neem husks, cal-seafeed, charge, {crushed orangutan and the soul of some virgins}* and this biosys when it stopped stretching, about 2 weeks ago. I started to feed a bit of fishmix in the last few days, and that's it till harvest..I think it at around 5 weeks, but I just harvest on gut and trial/error so not sure (about 7-8 weeks, closer to 7). It grows itself like this and smells/tastes lovely. Close your eyes and it's not weed, it's a fucking pineapple kola cube. One of it's sisters is 100% pinapple...not 'bit like'. A fucking pineapple!

*ahem.

Guanokalong palm ash & bat shit.

...It was given to me.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 2

Looks tasty :D Also a bit hungry.

You'd still be faced with the same problem surely, figuring out which part/s of the compost tea (+molasses, etc?) was providing any noticeable benefit.. 

The reason I stopped buying AMF innoculants was that all the current science suggests they only have significant effect when plants are short of at least 1 macro nutrient, which they are unlikely to be in most well-tended grows. More compelling to use them for mother plants though, and I never say no to a freebie..

Mykos is only 1 strain of AMF (Rhizophagus irregularis/Glomus intraradices, which, at least last time I checked, is one of the only 2 strains shown to colonise cannabis, the other being Glomus mosseae) with a clay & silicate powder carrier, so not perfect but much simpler/more specific than most innoculants.. I've been meaning to try a few side-by-sides with it on decent plant numbers for a while but have yet to get round to it. I did a few 2vs2s in coco, pointlessly small sample size & no real noticeable effect, bar once the myko treated ones were quite a bit smaller & darker green, lol).

I've seen a few recent studies on innoculants on annuals that concluded that (contrary to popular belief) innoculating sterile potting composts with single species of AMF actually has more effect (both in terms of mycorrhizal colonization & plant yield) than either innoculating with multiple strains of AMF, or innoculating bioactive/non-sterile composts. That is, despite the romantic idea/sales pitch of providing a super-complex arrangement of microbes to mimic nature, you actually probably just wan't the best strain/s for the job, and any extra added (while providing more liklihood of colonizing a wide range of plants), take away from the net effect on specific plant species (the extra microbes just compete with the ones you want).

• Like 4

Indeed, wasn't the best laid plan. And she was very hungry. I play by feel, and can go quite hard on them at first few goes before I pick one. This biosys is the first time I've used teas of any kind.. pm Granules did the job, when I remembered (I presume, as you point out). I figured there's also loads in worm/grub/bat shit, too. "one bottle in the shower" fishmix would suit me, so I'm trying a few without bloom. That's new on me too.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge there. I'll give the subject a bit more reading. Does seem a lot of these potions are more for us, given solid basics, and it's strain that seems to define it the most. These don't yield at all as well as the last strains I grew, but they make me happier. I'll deal with half an a plant less for that alone.

And yay for my clematis.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 5/29/2017 at 9:09 PM, uBercaMeL said:

Looks tasty :D Also a bit hungry.

You'd still be faced with the same problem surely, figuring out which part/s of the compost tea (+molasses, etc?) was providing any noticeable benefit.. 

The reason I stopped buying AMF innoculants was that all the current science suggests they only have significant effect when plants are short of at least 1 macro nutrient, which they are unlikely to be in most well-tended grows. More compelling to use them for mother plants though, and I never say no to a freebie..

Mykos is only 1 strain of AMF (Rhizophagus irregularis/Glomus intraradices, which, at least last time I checked, is one of the only 2 strains shown to colonise cannabis, the other being Glomus mosseae) with a clay & silicate powder carrier, so not perfect but much simpler/more specific than most innoculants.. I've been meaning to try a few side-by-sides with it on decent plant numbers for a while but have yet to get round to it. I did a few 2vs2s in coco, pointlessly small sample size & no real noticeable effect, bar once the myko treated ones were quite a bit smaller & darker green, lol).

I've seen a few recent studies on innoculants on annuals that concluded that (contrary to popular belief) innoculating sterile potting composts with single species of AMF actually has more effect (both in terms of mycorrhizal colonization & plant yield) than either innoculating with multiple strains of AMF, or innoculating bioactive/non-sterile composts. That is, despite the romantic idea/sales pitch of providing a super-complex arrangement of microbes to mimic nature, you actually probably just wan't the best strain/s for the job, and any extra added (while providing more liklihood of colonizing a wide range of plants), take away from the net effect on specific plant species (the extra microbes just compete with the ones you want).

Good post. I recently visited the micropropagation department at Kew gardens and they're doing some cutting edge research in to what Mycorr and Bacterial strains do what for different species of plants. For instance, they use 'seed traps' which basically consist of one strain of Mycorr which invades the seed and provides the seed with nutrition or whatever else it might need to germinate. They will then replace that Mycorrhizal strain with another as the original dies off once it's made the seed germinate. The next strain will encourage growth. They showed on particular example of a species of Viola which grows wild in northern England and Scotland which was in danger of dying out. They were using mycorrhizal fungi seed traps to help repopulate. Damn interesting stuff. 

• Like 10

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

so how are peeps getting on with this?

i have received some nutralise and biosys from diyleduk after a couple of purchases, i want to get the best out of it, so i have 9 cuttings in 4inch pots, should i make it up as a drench when i pot them up to 1ltr? or just use it next water/feed?