Ricky Gervais | Challenging Belief

Hiphip

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

More like a disbelief thing to me

Surely an atheist believes God does not exist? He holds to his conviction just the same as a believer in god. You cannot prove that "god" does or does not exist hence why lack of proof is a prerequisite of faith.

I am not religious. Organised religion is generally fuckery because humans are exploitative cunts...generally, and control and power are often the objective.

I do however believe fully in the power of the non rational, in what can't be defined, the ineffable and unapproachable absolute which makes all things possible. I experience it, but I cannot explain it, but I know it's at the heart of all things.

I'mhappy to say I know jack shit, but that's because I've gone deep enough down the rabbit hole to know that nobody can penetrate the mystery. But feeling its pulsating presence  makes me prostrate my little creature self in humbleness, and makes me glad and gracious for life itself, everyday.

Im happy not knowing, but some people like Pricky Gervais seem so sure they've got it all sussed out. And what's he doing to alleviate suffering and discontent? Because no one can deny that people's values are generally fucked and humans are going down the pan.

Anywho.. carry on :wallbash:

• Like 5

the man stands in a room shouting the word mong several times ,and the yanks think he is a comedy genius .

give him a large dose of ayahuasca then we`ll see if he is a atheist

Edited by catfish
  • Like 8

Les Dawson! Now, he could and often did make me fall out of my chair with the laughter!

"Take my Mother-in-law ....... Please, someone taker her!"

:rofl:

Just goes to show, comedy is a generational affair. Gervais is of a very different generation to myself, for which fact I am profoundly grateful (to who- or what-ever)!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Arnold Layne said:

Les Dawson! Now, he could and often did make me fall out of my chair with the laughter!

"Take my Mother-in-law ....... Please, someone taker her!"

:rofl:

Just goes to show, comedy is a generational affair. Gervais is of a very different generation to myself, for which fact I am profoundly grateful (to who- or what-ever)!

He had great stint on Blankety Blank only time it was worth watching. There were some episodes on TV a while go. Still had me in tears. A tragic game show turned into a genuine comedy masterpiece.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Asher Gong said:

Surely an atheist believes God does not exist?

Im happy not knowing, but some people like Pricky Gervais seem so sure they've got it all sussed out. And what's he doing to alleviate suffering and discontent? Because no one can deny that people's values are generally fucked and humans are going down the pan.

Anywho.. carry on :wallbash:

I don`t believe in anything supernatural, surely that`s a good place to start?

atheist
ˈeɪθɪɪst/
noun
noun: atheist; plural noun: atheists
  1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

As for RG, I didn`t watch the video because he makes me feel uncomfortable, and therefore doesn`t speak for me.

so I will carry on disbelieving in any fairy tales. Especially those made by man.

this is just my opinion
  • Like 1

Belief /disbelief it doesn't matter. All experience is subjective, but because someone has not had a particular experience does not mean that others who experience it are deluded.

3 hours ago, Asher Gong said:

Belief /disbelief it doesn't matter. All experience is subjective, but because someone has not had a particular experience does not mean that others who experience it are deluded.

It does matter when the very definition is not believing. I never said people are deluded, all I said is I don`t believe in anything supernatural, and the meaning of atheist is as said above, I disbelieve, I choose to pay it no mind. That isn`t the same as belief.

I have a mate who believes in fairies, my family mostly believes in god, I do not. I think the main problem is some people don`t like/can`t understand people not believing in what they do. I used to think it was weird, but now I just let people believe what ever gets them through the day. These things have never helped me, shame, it would be nice to think we are more than just going to end up as worm food, no matter how we live our lives, but we are all different.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ratdog said:

I have a mate who believes in fairies, my family mostly believes in god, I do not. I think the main problem is some people don`t like/can`t understand people not believing in what they do. I used to think it was weird, but now I just let people believe what ever gets them through the day.

I know you mentioned you didn't watch the video exactly, but my first post was saying that really; RG is being a hypocrite in that he is doing just what the godbotherer does, he is self righteous and arrogant and believes he knows best, and ridicules those who do not see the world in the way he does.

23 hours ago, ratdog said:

so I will carry on disbelieving in any fairy tales. Especially those made by man.

this is just my opinion

I suppose I felt you were insinuating that belief in something beyond what you can comprehend in the day to day was the same as believing in fairy tales, hence my previous post.

Regarding the word atheism I suppose we could argue semantics all day but the way I see it is atheism is still an ideological framework through which one perceives the world, you are an atheist or you are not, so in that regard i see it is as a belief system, or at least the same as or equivalent too. :yinyang:

1 hour ago, Asher Gong said:

I suppose I felt you were insinuating that belief in something beyond what you can comprehend in the day to day was the same as believing in fairy tales, hence my previous post.

Regarding the word atheism I suppose we could argue semantics all day but the way I see it is atheism is still an ideological framework through which one perceives the world, you are an atheist or you are not, so in that regard i see it is as a belief system, or at least the same as or equivalent too. :yinyang:

I`m not insinuating anything, I don`t want to be labelled, and if you want to believe the word atheist carries more weight than simply not believing, therefore not wanting to even waste time thinking about gods or what ever, that`s up to you. Personally there`s so much more to this natural world/cosmos that is real and tangible to spend time learning about (couldn`t learn it all in ten lifetimes) rather than waste time on stuff I cannot sense in any way and has not benefited me one iota in my nearly 47 years.

Atheism cannot be a belief system if you do not believe, I cannot see how you do not understand. 

• Like 1

I just don't accept the omnipresent singular god theory but am certainly open to others.

Atheism is someone else's label.

• Like 1

Is doing nothing doing something ?

What is nothing?

Is it something ?

The very fact a descriptive word is used means that a tangable atributation is placed upon an object, thought, action or sequence of consequences, therefore nothing is actually something but it's something devoid of anything.

There can be no nothing in a physical universe as nothing exists not, something is always there whether it can be measured or not :yep:

e2a

This is real exploration, the unkown frontier and where our species should be heading towards, not worrying about archaic systems of old that humans done past, no wonder I don't fit in with the world lol

Edited by botanics
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ratdog said:

I`m not insinuating anything, I don`t want to be labelled, and if you want to believe the word atheist carries more weight than simply not believing, therefore not wanting to even waste time thinking about gods or what ever, that`s up to you. Personally there`s so much more to this natural world/cosmos that is real and tangible to spend time learning about (couldn`t learn it all in ten lifetimes) rather than waste time on stuff I cannot sense in any way and has not benefited me one iota in my nearly 47 years.

Atheism cannot be a belief system if you do not believe, I cannot see how you do not understand. 

Well your disbelief is obviously something you are passionate about, you draw conviction from it to the point where you say delving into the unknown is a waste of time. You're atheism defines your outlook. That's fine mate, be what you are..you're happy no?.

My life is enchanted, magical, full of awe and wonder, i'm sorry if that offends the cynical. I wonder where people think creativity comes from? where the poetry and music, art and inspiration comes from? I'm a creative ratdog, my very understanding and perceptions come from delving into what can't be measured and what I don't understand. It gets me vexed when people infer it is valueless.It is Reality for me and not for you, I am not asking anyone to believe but just leave it off, you can believe or you can choose not to believe, but the title of the thread is challenging beliefs, and I say fuck off and let people believe what they want as long as they do no harm. You are an atheist, you do not "believe", it seems non sensical to me, like a positive negative but fuck it whatever you need to get by.

Edited by Asher Gong

But really guys, you're both right see, it's just the perception of the individual and how their reality exists to them.

The way I see it all is like there's the 'general reality' or physical construct we see and call the universe, I believe it not a 'negative',  it's a 'positive', a Yin I suppose and that is why when we think we see negatives in our individual universes, (our realities) it destroys us in the formation of physical reactions ;) 

You really do create your own reality but our egos (which I believe is a resultant construct of ours and other beings' physical matter) will not let us see this, diminish them and the true conscious that resides within can be heard (the soul I call this and from the source). 

But of course if this were to be a positive universe, a 'Yin' then subsequently there has to be by default be a 'Yang' and that is the negative universe beyond the veil.

Or I could be talking bollocks, doesn't matter really because as long as I feel that peace inside that exploration of thinking like this brings, all is good for me and that's faith :v:

• Like 2

If you sit still on here you can watch the same discussions whooshing by time and time again . . . . . 

• Like 3