Mum box?

assault and battery

In nigh on 20 years indoor growing I have yet to find a plant that needed a CF filter whilst in veg! I don't even enclose my Mums/clones/seeds. I just have a T5 hung which can be raised to six foot or thereabouts. Its just beside my flowering tent, and is fully "open". Sorry the photo is not clearer, but I think you can see enough to understand how I do things.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/gallery/image/380485-pfncvegarea/

Edited by Arnold Layne
  • Like 2

@Arnold Layne

I see, do you not worry about pests? I'd worry with them being so open to the environment

the carbon filter was knocking around (it's probably past its best) and so as I had it, I'm using it, if I didn't I'd have carried on with out or played with my own diy version as this is a temp box, 8 weeks or so then it can be modified or ditched depending on how I progress, I turned it all off last night, just before bed I looked in and the plants were practically trying to get out of the box away from the LED, it's too close. So rather than cook them they had night in the dark. 

I've just been a brave girl and got myself up in the loft and found my CFL so I've rigged that up and the babies are all happy again. 

I appear be attempting a vertical veg, I need to sort that out but until I can get my husband and his tools to work, they can stay like this. 

Its not great but it's an improvement for now. 

Ive got a t5 but it's 2 inches too long for the cupboard... Typical. 

large.image.jpeg

no more pink, excuse the walls they're stripped but not washed, ceilings being done this week lol 

edited to add, looking at your set up, I've way over complicated this.... Hmmm I might rethink

Edited by Kiminal

I also suspect I've grabbed a flowering CFL not a veg one but there's spiders in the loft so this will do for today 

@Kiminal

TBH, I got more pests when using a small cabinet! I still get pests, but have learned not to panic, they are easy dealt with. And even easier to deal with in an open space like my current setup, I find.

It all boils down to what works for you ;)

• Like 1

@Arnold Layne

Well I've ended up leaving the door open pretty much all day on it now, my girls are looking much happier with the extra fresh air, I'm not sure how long I'll put up with this set up, it's provided a few giggles and it works to a point... 

I like what you say about not panicking - I need to be a bit less stressed about pests, my.last encounter was thrips which I used a bug spray on in veg and sorted. 

When I first started out I got infested with spider mites, I laugh now but i was so horrified and terrified I turned off the grow room, left my 6 plants in the dark and didn't go back in the room for 3 months, the plants died and so did the mites, I plucked up courage to get back in there, cleared it out then cleaned the room thoroughly, they never came back but it was wasted time really. I think I could cope better now lol 

It's a lot of fun this growing malarkey, I've never been especially creative but I do love having a go - I'm proud of my little box, but I concede - it's a bit shit haha! 

• Like 1

Looks good Kim, I could do with one of them tbh.

How's about 2-D flourescents for the lighting in there?

this kind of thing:

02813.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Kiminal said:

@Bird

wow, never seen those before and I've seen a few bulbs! Yes!  I'm going to order some!! 

Thank you!

You are welcome kim.   They are quite robust and long lasting compared to the growlights you are using.   Popular with landlords they like to be mounted on a flat surface preferably.

• Like 1

I've just been out, I've got my bulb and ballast, looks simple enough! 

It it wasn't very expensive at all, I'll crack on with this tonight :) 

what would I do without you guys?! lol 

large.image.jpeg

I I'll throw the cover away, but the ballast is mounted on this metal plate with plastic back which will make it pretty easy to install, result! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiminal said:

large.image.jpeg

I I'll throw the cover away, but the ballast is mounted on this metal plate with plastic back which will make it pretty easy to install, result! 

Cool.  So is that the 28W or 38W  version?  28 I'm guessing.

I wouldn't throw the diffuser away just yet personally. You never know if you might want it later.  Should you need to drop the light intensity in there it would be handy.

Edited by Bird
  • Like 1

@Bird

It's 28w, I went to an electrical shop and asked, they did a 56w but it was bigger...(so I'm told) Im guessing this is like 1 bar of my 2ft T5 in equivalence? 

I did Google it up but, I haven't got a clue what it all really means. 

E2A good idea on the shade/cover, Ive used it as a plant pot tray but if I need it, I'll clean it! 

Edited by Kiminal
  • Like 1

So the new box / prototype 3 I'm calling her lol will have the floor lowered, I personally think my passive floor vent is s stroke of blonde genius for me but I want more height. I'm going to be leaving the light on 24/7 so light proof isn't necessary, I'll drill holes around the base and cover with cooker hood filter. All electrics will be on the top/back as gravity is playing havoc with my plugs in their current position and I need room to mount that light. This is actually quite a fun project while waiting for the girls to grow. 

New light installed, adjustable height shelf now included, it's still a work in progress but within 5 mins of being in there, the 5 little psychosis X psychosister had all raised their little leaves in the air, I think they like it :)  

large.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeg

tomorrow will see the yellow cable disappear out of the back and a few more tweaks, I'm pretty chuffed though, temps have dropped by 5 degrees too happily! 

• Like 2