Mum box?

assault and battery

So I've found a space I think may make a suitable little mum box/nursery, I'm not very techy so bare with me.

28inches tall

16 inches wide

22 inches deep. Basically a half width kitchen cupboard. Within a bigger cupboard. 

large.image.jpeg

As you can see, it's even got power. - it's a crude start I know. 

So I thought about lighting, I've got a small two lamp T5 but just discovered it's an inch too long to fit. 

So back in my box of tricks I have a CFL lamp holder, and a 125w CFL lamp, that could fit, or I've got a cheap nasty Chinese LED that I've never used for anything, I did once try to use a wat Meter and I think it read about 50watts so I'm guessing its pretty shit (but who knows if I used the watt Meter correctly? It's never worked since) but for keeping mums and babies it might be ok? It would fit in the cupboard. So it's got one thing going for it. 

As for extraction. I've been looking at these, 

large.image.jpeg

8cm.pc fan with USB attached (I can't do electrics) and wondered if these- 2 or 3 in the roof of box would be sufficient, if I made for filters from carbon sheets for cooker hoods (I use them to cover my tent vents) which no doubt would reduce the pull so I thought just have more? Passive intakes underneath etc. I don't fancy rigging a carbon filter and inline fan inside or outside the box, I wondered if the cooker filters and pot of ona gel on top would be sufficient for two small mums? 

Any advice welcome, is it even big enough for a mum or two? I'm guessing I'd have to keep them pretty bonsai. Not as easy as it looks I'm suspecting lol. 

Hi @Kiminal, is it 28 inches tall altogether or is it upto the shelf? if you know what I mean.

Personally I grow big autos and I don't think they would fit. Good for seedlings though imho.

I have done bonsai mums before and they are quite easy to keep. The mums and cuts should not kick out too much smell but that all.depends on the plant and where in the house it is. If it's somewhere no one but you would go then I would think it should be fine. But of its in the kitchen cupboard then you might need something to stop the smell if your mum's are the smelly type. I had 8 at one point and none of them gave off any smell. 

I would think that the hood filters are for stopping particles of food and fat rather than smell so I'm not sure they would do anything about the smell of weed anyway. There is no activated carbon in them. 

As for the box I would say that is perfect for two bonsai moms in the bottom and some cuts in the top. My mother box was about the same but on its side. I could keep up to 8 mum's in 1ltr pots and a propagation tray for the cuts.  The fans would do the job just fine. I used them in mine to good effect. I had three extracting two circulating and two intake plus a bit of passive. Mine was in the attic so I also had a heating blanket in there for the winter. I lost 5/8 of those mum's a few years back due to going on holiday and there was a cold snap and I never told the wife to put it on. It was just before moving house so I was going to have to get rid of them anyway as I had nowhere to put the mum box in the new house. 

I would go with the cfl for the mums and the led for the cuts if there is enough room. 

Good luck with it. 

Cheers tico. 

• Like 1

Guest morten arthursson

i  have a very similar cab the filter is made from carbon pellets between carbon filter sheets inside clip on lid type plastic food box with the bottom cut out.

I have a photo in my gallery

i don't know how to post pics yet 

Edited by morten arthursson

@bluntz27

It's 28inches top to bottom, the shelf could stay, or go, whichever works on the day. I'd only be using it for mother's and cuts,  I've had a great time with Autos recently, but I want to get back to regs now, and try to perfect my growing on one strain so keeping a mum (or two) would facilitate that. 

@tico cervantes

The cupboard is in a cupboard in the kitchen. I do have some thick filter type material that claims it's impregnated with activated carbon. I'll start of with this but I do have a spare 4" inline fan and filter if the smells too much. I'm hoping to keep an old times x old times and psychosis x psychosister in there for the foreseeable. Something tells me they might be on the stinky side though. I'll get both lights in there tonight for a rough fitting. Then I'll get my husband to do all the work under my instruction. I'm ordering 4 fans right now. This project is officially off the ground! 

@morten arthursson

I like the idea of your filter design! Genius, I'm going to go have a look at your gallery right now. 

Thank you everyone for your advice and contributions, I'll come back and update the thread as the job progresses! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kiminal said:

I do have some thick filter type material that claims it's impregnated with activated carbon.

I stand corrected. I never thought they were for smell.

Cheers tico.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kiminal said:

Then I'll get my husband to do all the work under my instruction.

Just make sure you womansplain it to him or he will get it wrong.

Cheers tico.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, tico cervantes said:

Just make sure you womansplain it to him or he will get it wrong.

Always, I'll be right over his shoulder telling him exactly how wrong he's getting it. He thrives under my micro-managing lol 

@morten arthursson sorry to be a pain. Ive been thinking about your filter. If I'm.right I take the Tupperware style box, cut out a section in the bottom, use the filter as a liner, tip in a layer of pellets (the fish filter type I found online?) cover over with more filter sponge type stuff and leave a couple of inches gap? (Between the top of filter sponge and fan for airflow) Then cut a hole in the lid for the fan, clip it all together and insert into the roof of the box. 

Ive just bought a couple of lunch box sized clip tubs, I might make two if there's room. 

Thanks again 

Kim 

Edited by Kiminal
I'm terrible at getting it down in words!
  • Like 3

Guest morten arthursson

Hi yes you WILL need to seal the top layer with silicone or it will pull the air around the filter material.

I originally found this idea on uk420 I think :wacko:just search the site or google "diy filter uk420"

I have a 100mm hole in the top of the cab and the fan is attached to the inside of the lid of the food box (with acommadating hole) the lid is then screwed and sealed to the roof of the cab inside(sorry) and the box/filter just clips on you will need a hole for the fan wires somehow,I have a smelly 2 month old skunk #1 in mine and no smells.

I use a  100mm pc fan 

Hope this helps and will get other photos if you need.

ATB

Imo I'd ditch the idea of using a diy filter as I wouldn't risk my liberty on something I'd knocked up despite Morton arthurson using one, 

Then there's the hassle of wiring the pc fans up to a charger & the lack of air movement compared to a dedicated fan & filter,

tho a 4" filter & fan will cost a bit more (£100 for a 4" set up) the performance will be a lot better, then if you factor in another £30,

You can get a wac1 fan controller.

Then when setting things up, you can simply blow through the filter.

If you have a look at my very cab siggy, you'll see I used a double kitchen unit carcase with a 5" fan & filter ventilation with a 

2 x 55w PLL light.

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 3

@Joint hogger

Thank you, I appreciate your advice, I dare say my skills are far from anywhere near Morton's but I quite Like the idea of having a little project, obviously my liberty is of paramount importance so while I will go ahead and have a go for the sheer hell of it, I am willing to assign it to the bin and spend the necessary, I've even got a 4" inline fan knocking around That would be up to the job. I'll post my attempt so we can all have a giggle at it either way :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've hashed together a mum box... 

It's a work in progress.. No laughing... 

large.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeglarge.image.jpeg

I managed to break the thin board at the back when ripping this off the wall, so I just a cut semi circle in the middle of each pieces broken edge and taped a piece of 5inch silver ducting as an outtake. I'd have preferred it higher but I worked with what I had. There's some cooker filter taped over to stop and nasties being sucked in and buggering up the inline TT 4"'fan that's sucking the air out and through a 4" filter. 

I'm the kind of girl who prefers to suck as opposed to blow but space dictated I try the other way. 

The Intake Is passive, by using the cupboard upside down, I took the shelf and crudely screwed it a few inches above the open floor, and it's slightly shorter leaving a couple of inches gap between the end and the door, this making a passive light proof intake where the air is pulled from the rear under the open shelf and pulled up the front. I m terrible at explaining I know. 

I stuffed the gap with activated carbon filter cooker hood stuff to stop and nasties getting sucked in. 

The LED is really bright, but the field survived the night, in there is s very hungry looking og Kush, a strawberry dogshit and 5 1 day old psychosisxpsychosister

The door leaks light like a laser show, but my husband discovered I need only drape my dressing gown over it and all is golden lol not ideal but - This set up needs to work for 8 weeks max then I should be moving into a better space although I'm toying with using the box wall mounted within the veg area on its side with some of the LED blue propagation strip lights ive seen online. 

A dedicated propagation box rather than mum.box as it's tiny. 

I didn't get around to making my own carbon filter, but it's an idea I will definitely play around with at some point, just for the fun factor and as a way of learning a bit more detail how air filtration works.

A bit like when you made cups or vases with clay at school that you proudly presented to your parents, everyone knows it's crap and theyre never going to use it but it was fun learning process anyway. 

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will try harder next time lol 

• Like 2