60x60x200cm tent//300w LED

gravy_14

Hey guys,

Some of you may know me from the outdoor section, although I'm inconsistent in my visiting on here these days, so, if i'm new- How do!? :)

I've only ever grown outdoors in the UK GG style, and I only started that in 2013. I wanted to keep my escapades outdoors and become self sufficient, however it didnt really work out that way. I got great results, but with so many variables and the forces mother nature its difficult to get any guarantees. I want some guaranteed. So Im finally in a position where its cool for me to have a wee indoor grow tent. I have a housemate who's down so we're good to go...and its already taken shape. I will of course continue my outdoor ways. Home is where the heart is ;) but for now its cool to have this little project

I've gone for some half decent gear for the grow, with energy consumption in mind, but most importantly low decibel levels. The tent is in my bedroom so Ive been super keen in keeping the noise down. That said here's what I've got...

60x60x200cm black orchid grow tent

300w led vipar specture

150mm//6" phresh extraction fan- this is great as I can run it on a 35% setting and still clear the required air for the grow. on the 35% setting the fan is not much loader than the cooling fan in the vipar. An expensive luxury but a must for me :) Plus the phresh could serve me well in the future if/when I up my grow space.

15x 300mm rhino pro carbon filter

7" rotary fan from Argos ;)

I'm keeping things simple with my growing medium, ive also had good results with multi purpose and some vermiculite so ive done that, in 10l air pots. I've started off with 2 x autos. 1 x Blueberry (I'm chasing a blueberry high I had in Amsterdam about 6 years ago- LOVE that high) & 1 x colorado cookies (sounds nice!). I plan to LST and possibly supercropp depending on how things roll.

Wish me luck ppl of UK420, Happy growing vibes :v:

minus 1 week

• Like 7

Good Luck!

Hoping for a similar growing situation in about a month...

Good to see about the fan and bedroom setting as I can only fit my tent in bedroom also :)

@@Newgirl thanks for chiming in. Oh cool. I'll be honest I'm really satisfied with the gear I've got- so far. By no means the cheapest but they should pay for themselves in energy reduction over time. Not to mention savings on not purchasing green. The 6" phresh extraction fan is impressive. On a 25% running setting it's no louder than my 7" rotary fan from argos. In fact that's my loudest feature so I'm actually delighted. Let us know how you get on :)

Good Luck!

Hoping for a similar growing situation in about a month...

Good to see about the fan and bedroom setting as I can only fit my tent in bedroom also :)

Bear this i mind, if the gas (Co2 / Argon) has leaked out of your double glazing units in bedroom windows, very common in early type double glazing units, so called sealed units.

The 18hrs of heat generated in the room with door shut ??......... will generate a "Dew Point" condensation on the inside of the window. Mix in a little protein and you have the "Black Mold" scenario. Black mold on the lung tissue is detrimental to health, very so.

If gasses in sealed units are fully in tact, no condensation mold spores will be in the air, or will be encountered. A dew point forms when there is a greater than 6-7c difference in in and out temps. Not a problem to achieve in winter this time of year. it 5c outdoor, and 22c indoors ??....

A way round this, if you have a loft above you, is to cut a 100mm hole in cieling (if 100mm duct). And have the carbon filter in the loft zone. This draws fresh air into the bedroom, keeping it well aired out. As the extractor is on 24/7 pulling fresher air into the room.

For people who grow during the night hours, this gives two options. In summer, at night the temp is a lot lower, so you could draw cool air in from outside, to keep temps down. In winter use the warmer air inside house to keep temps up at night. The plants will benefit from the continual fresher air drawn in.

If not possible to vent external to room, keep the door open for a vent 24/7. And just use "Jeyes Fluid" neat on the areas where condensation is forming, or lickley to form. When the mold Hyphae, want to spore up, they need to hydrate, and pull in the jeyes fluid killing spores before they start. And denying usable protein (Skin Dust) for them to get established. Apply weekly to maintain sterilization of spores. And before spores are visible.

The spores of Black mold, are very bad for Human / Plant health......... chronically, and in short term inhalation. Wouldn't recommend, to sleep in a room with a cab, with the door shut, that was not externally vented. You will breath the plant respiration product Co2 etc......... and room temp will inevitably climb during the night in the room with door shut and no vent............ just my opinion ok. But probably common sensible.

Automaster

Edited by AutoMaster

Day 15. Bberry at front and cookies at the back :)

from cookie grows i have seen. The cookie can stretch well. So topp her out not earlier than day 21. The cream of crop Fem BlueBerry"....... you wont need to top her out. As she wont hit above 90cm usually 70cm. You have elevated the airpots to gain them heat. Which means you have a cold spot on the floor below 19c. Low soil temps lock out phos PO4, giving the red stem outcome.

Due to low heat dispensed from the LED unit. The air pot will eventually be lowered to the floor at some point during the rest of the winter window. A thermostatic controlled 25cm heater fan may be needed to keep the soil temps up during lights out. If your stems turn reddish color, temps are a bit low for the canna dame.......... low soil temps drastically affect nute uptake and swings soil ph outside nute ranges....... the answer may be Kw ! used by the heater. Will also improve low Relative Humidity.

Automaster

@Mk cheese nice one mate :)

@@AutoMaster I've never been so happy to sash windows dude!

Thanks mate. I wasn;t sure if it was a good idea to top an auto but maybe i'll do it with one of them I'll wait the three weeks too ;)

Lookin forward to seeing what the blue berry will be like. I elevated the pots as its easier than lowering the light to the desired height with mu current parts and accesories ;). I'm recording around 18c/19c with the lights out and about 23/24c lights on. I've got an oil rad so I'm gonna start running that. yeah the pots will eventually end up on the deck, at least thats the current plan :oldtoker:

Edited by gravy_14

• 2 weeks later...

DAY 28 here. The onset of Flower is upon us! i'm enjoying the positive vibes from these ladies. I've had some temp fluctuation issues recently, as its been right cold out recently. I came home the other day and my housemate had pumped the central heating up in the flat full whack, and the tent was up to 30c. Not ideal. However, on a positive note they look healthy and im enjoying watching them grow. The fun about to begin :) wish em luck guys. PEACE 

large.20170128_110705_resized_1.jpg

Edited by gravy_14

Gravy man, no probs mate. Another thing you can do is to close the two 25cm inlet socks. And use the 10cm inlet at rear of tent. get a cheap 100mm 10cm white plastic duct, and duct the "Cold" incoming air into the top of the cab. using the 100mm sock at bottom rear of tent gravy. have the passive inlet duct, right at the top of the tent. Cold air drops through hot, mixing it's natural thermal stratification tenancy's.... hot air rises, cold sinks like a stone...... as it dose, it has to pass the side fans on your light, causing further hot cold air mixing, also improves "RH" at plant level.....

The rear 100mm passive inlet air, pulled in by carbon fan. Fan Will pull the cold air up to the top of the cabinet gravy. Thus mixing cold into hot at the top of tent. "Mixing the currently Stratified air"........... hot at top "Cold On Floor"...

The cold passive air is currently slamming into the side of the airpots at floor level.....through the 2 open 25cm sock inlets......... drumming down "Soil Temp"......... The hot rising air from oil heater is collecting at tent roof level. being pump straight out as your carbon filter is "Up High" level in cab ?? Not much room to re position on floor ?? so the carbon filter pulls out the less warm air on floor of cab ??.......

Duct carbon filter down onto floor, from fan in top of space............ much better cold warm air mixing this way ????   

You need to get the single led down to 60cm above the plant. This will up the lux power, you could easily go as low as 50cm........ to get best photon lux power onto leaves......... keep the auto's on the grow nute for 7 to 10 days after flowers show. This aids the veg of the flowers,.......... when flowers 15-20mm across, then start the bloom nute switch, with auto's....

Dont worry about the 30c top end................ better to be warmer than colder, was it 30c at tent floor ??.......... depends where you site your temp gage in top ? middle ? bottom of tent ? i use one at canopy height, and one on floor, to see how well air is mixing, and if soil drops below 20c  below that aint good cold soil = nute uptake issues, in perticular po4 phos etc........... and allways shade the temp gage from led light output.....

looking ok so far man..nice work...... just some general ideas man !!........hope it's of some use to ya......... AM

Edited by AutoMaster

@AutoMasterthanks for you advice man!  Good shout on shutting the lower inlets up, will no doubt make a difference. That blueberry has been getting a cold kick from both sides! will my passive ventilation be adequate though? In my mind the more fresh air getting in the better, so Ive been a bit reluctant to close the holes up...but maybe with the others up top then a suffiient passage of air is being made?

yeah man fan and filter up at top of tent, can no way fit below unfortunately. Not ideal I know. My lung room (bedroom) isn't too cold though. Its mostly been the cold snap of late that has caused varying temps, but its forecast to get a bit better so hopefully my mean temp will improve. I'm gonna get a proper little Digi rh and temp reader as I'm currently using a gardeners mercury type thermometer lol 

nice one on the nute advice, i've simply given it water during veg. Multi purpose compost allegedly caters for 4 weeks growth.... its 30c mid way up my tent mate, at its worst. Has dropped to 12c, mostly averaging at 25c.

im gonna lower my thermom and see what im recording at soil height. cheers man. 

Much appreciate your ideas man its good for a 1st time indoor grower to get a bit brain jogged about things- Thanks. 

Edited by gravy_14