Alan Watts

Davey Jones

lol

Even so called educated people have the same attitude, its rare to find someone who has any passion for what they do even in the science and engineering fields. Its just a pay cheque and it bores them to death

I have heard the ''so what'' comment a thousand times also a common one is ''and?'' my personal favourite has to be '' your fukin mental you mate''

lol

Who wants to be normal anyway, I wouldnt want to be even if it were a choice

• Like 6

13 hours ago, ratdog said:

It`s a free world, but they don`t possess free minds ime, I know lots of people who baulk at the thought of science etc. 

I don`t know how much is the fact of crap teachers, or just disinterest and the like, I didn`t learn anything of value until years after leaving school, since then though, I`ve been learning about all the sciences and philosophy, it`s all fascinating to me.

About 7 years ago I told someone I used to know that I`d recently learned that colour comes from the vibration of light waves, and each colour having different vibrations, I was blown away at that, when I told him, he said to me "so?" lol 

Mate, this is when learning starts, schools are 'brainwashing factories' they train monkeys to do specific tasks based on the demographics...if you aint from the right place, wear the right tie, speak in the right way or have a daddy that will impart some cash when nods and winks come, then a lower order monkey you will become...I'm learning that academia is the same and a load of :soap: tbh... it's become just another exclusive club setup that is counter productive to actual creativity ;)

You are self aware Ratdog, understanding the wonderment in the seemingly benign...it's anything other isn't it lol  it's where it all at mate, there's so much learning when actual reality, ie the present is experienced, it's a phenominal, hold it as much as you can :v:

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

@Davey Jones, @botanics

What's your take-away from him being a 'Spiritual Entertainer'? A term I came across in my short time of reading-up that seems is attributed by the man himself.

Was he telling the truth with that term? Just a having laugh?(he seemed to like those) Something I may have missed?

Not setting up to pick at your views, I'll not do that with people if I can help it. Just curious what those of you that elevate him think :)

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
'to' changed to 'by' . underline used for clarity
  • Like 1

I think he must of been the greatest spiritual entertainer thats ever lived, thats exactly what he does i.e. entertains with spiritual concepts

But he was so much more, the more you listen to him the more you grow to love him he was simply amazing IMO

I think he was having a laugh for definite but was deadly serious at the same time, he strongly promoted making work fun and thats exactly what he did, he loved what he did and had an immense amount of fun doing it this is without doubt

His knowledge of science was a lot more than people might appreciate, he was unbelievably intelligent and he must be the most articulate person I have ever came across

I know you like science @j.o.i.n.t please tell me do you like philosophy?, do you believe in anything spiritual at all?

You sound like a prickly person and I used to be exactly that, all the answers were out there waiting to be discovered however the more I have learnt about science the more I have come to realise that humans will never be able to understand reality in exactly the same way my dog wont ever be able to understand economics, the whole of maths and science is simply fitting patterns everyone can recognise but thats not it in the same way a reflection in a mirror isnt the object

the map isnt the territory and the menu isnt the meal!

Alan Watts was a legend theres no doubt, the fact he has so many fans almost 50 years after he died is the evidence, talk about ahead of your time

:yinyang:

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 6

@j.o.i.n.t

I'm pretty much in agreement with Davey's evaluation above mate tbh regarding Alan Watts and it's Davey who introduced me to him as I'd never heard his name before...he is a sage, a seer of things that most do not see and a man I feel knows more about my mind than anybody I've met in person apart from the one I've allowed in more than any other and that being the missus ;)

There is only spiritualism my friend, as above the dogma that is science and other institutions are the 'false profit' (inacurately spelt for purposes of ironic wordplay) and are about pyramid systems of functionalist and behaviourist thinking....you might want to read some Abraham Maslow and theroists such as him....however if you really want insight into and the alternative perspective within the structures we are confined within, another academic and legend in his field is Carl Rodgers (you can watch him work on YT vids)  aye, Rodgers has Zen running right through him after what I've read and seen of his approaches. :v:

• Like 3

1000 likes @botanics (If I could!)

Now @j.o.i.n.t you tell us whats your take on big Al, I am genuinely interested in your honest opinion whether positive or negative

Just spit it out, spirituality a load of shite its fine, I have these convos with 'normal' people all the time today was interesting in this respect. Lots of people like to laugh at it and use science as their foundation, IME a little convo about the actual state and limits of science leaves them with a lot to think about lol

I do like to be laughed at though, its like a challenge

:yinyang:

• Like 1

On 08/10/2017 at 5:41 PM, Davey Jones said:

lol

Even so called educated people have the same attitude, its rare to find someone who has any passion for what they do even in the science and engineering fields. Its just a pay cheque and it bores them to death

not always, my experience is almost opposite,.. 

----

thanks for the AW links, I recognise the voice strongly, I suspect there might have been some AW on during various sofa voyages... 

---

something similar 

• Like 1

not always, my experience is almost opposite

Well your lucky, I am described as the most enthusiastic person people have ever met regularly. I have certainly met passionate people in my time but they are few and far between and they are to be treasured.

I have the convo with my academic supervisor regular, he has been supervising Ph.D students for over 30 years and he worked in industry for about 20 before that, people who love what they do are rare in industry and academia it really is just a pay cheque to the vast majority

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 1

Familiarity breeds contempt? 

I guess if you're teaching the same thing year in year out it gets a bit tedious... 

this guy is rocking my world at the moment, thanks Davey :yinyang:

Edited by Badders
  • Like 1

It has become that way...it wasn't always as such but it's the nature and stupidity of money...education is now a business and when that happens, excellence goes out of the widow due to vested interests protecting those interests and when a savant or suchlike comes along, it serves those best positioned to steal their work and claim it as their own, such as happens in many university departments nowadays, whilst the thinker and one that gives because they naturally understand the way of the universe and not interested in taking are usurped and crushed under the egos of those of lesser creativity...

If you don't know or think otherwise, then a perfect example would be Jocelyn Bell :yep:

• Like 1

got to admit, I've overloadd my first spliff (and sleeper)....get back when it fades a bit,  as it's interesting :) wouldnt give it just icnow.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Badders said:

Familiarity breeds contempt? 

I guess if you're teaching the same thing year in year out it gets a bit tedious... 

this guy is rocking my world at the moment, thanks Davey :yinyang:

Not in this case, my academic supervisor is a complete diamond of a human being. Working class from a mining village and very passionate about what he does. He is one of a handful of people on planet earth that have gone out of their way to advance me and I wouldnt of been able to do half the things in industry without his guidance. Bless him he just wants enthusiastic students to take what he teaches and push it that little bit further.

I owe him immensely and will always be grateful until they put me in the ground, he isnt just a lecturer to me he is one of the most important people in my life

• Like 3

@Davey Jones

Ah mate, that's writing from the heart there and clearly a mentor of distinction, I'm glad for you man, it seems this man has been pivotal in who you are becoming :yinyang: 

He sounds like one of the few bud :v:

• Like 2

He is a fukin legend @botanics

I got to know him before I even attended my current University, he gave me free tuition because my previous University didnt have the skills for me to do what I wanted to do. met me once a month and he didnt have any commitments to me at all I wasnt even registered at the uni and he wouldnt take a penny either

We became close and time after time he has come through for me, getting him as my Ph.D supervisor was like winning the lottery. Most academics just want you to write papers and get some glory no matter how shit the papers are, all he wants is for his students to learn and have fun doing it. Been meeting and talking on the phone for years on end now and we just get closer and closer. I dont think theres anyone on earth who I respect more hes like family to me and I am to him

In fact in recent weeks he has just helped me land my dream job which starts soon, its not always what you know but who you know!,  onwards and upwards woop woop

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 4