Alan Watts

Davey Jones

We love Big Al' in this house :) got hours and hours of his lectures saved onto my laptop. He truly possessed a gift. The only thing I can 'fault' him on as such, is he speaks so truthly and hard hitting, that it can be a bit overwhelming listening to him too much in one go lol

Nice to see that so many others on the forum are into him too.

• Like 4

One of myself favourite music producers (Rameses B) puts his quotes into his music. He's done loads of tunes with samples of Alan Watts' lectures added over the top.

Here's a couple, lie back close your eyes and enjoy :D

Starts at 2:48

• Like 2

If Alan makes your brain tingle you may enjoy a book by Chris Frith called Making up the Mind, how the brain creates our mental world.Then there is The Diamond Sutra which contains a profound truth or bob or jimi all going at it from their angle.Luckily what they are pointing at is magnetic.like that muddy pool when you were tripping Muddy

• Like 2

its good to see theres a fair few on the boards who like 'big Al'

its especially good to see the main tripper @@Fry in here posting and all the time hes been listening along too, lol

Alan has so much to offer, from science through religion to the future of humanity I listen to him every day

@@mudman123 as I am sure you know and like I said all religions had the same message its such a shame so few people are aware, thanks for that snippet mate it makes sense to me!

Tell a Christian that you believe your God and they turn away, tell one that after they know you tripped and they think you blew your brain when its the opposite

Therefore, we think 'well, since being, since the 'is' side of things is so much effort' you always give up after a while and you sink back into death. But death is just the other face of energy, and it's the rest, the not being anything around, that produces something around, just in the same way that you can't have 'solid' without 'space,' or 'space' without 'solid.' When you wake up to this, and realize that the more it changes the more it's the same thing, as the French say, that you are really a train of this one energy, and there is nothing else but that that is you, but that for you to be always you would be an insufferable bore, and therefore it is arranged that you stop being you after a while and then come back as someone else altogether, and so when you find that out, you become full energy and delight. As Blake said, 'Energy is eternal delight.' And you suddenly see through the whole sham thing. You realize you're That--we won't put a name on it-- you're That, and you can't be anything else.

I never realised how profound the bold bit is until recently, heard the term so many times but it sounded like a misnomer for years, its the universe for definite ie the change is what it does so when it stops changing then its stops being what it is, the same thing applies to so many areas and concepts

I will check that book out for definite, have you read soem of the eastern scriptures?, theres shit loads of stuff I tried to read the Upanishads but it was difficult going I will have to revisit, the message of the Upanishads sounds pretty profound to me

@@PureSmkr

never heard of that guy, Alan lol has such an effect on so many people, to think a lot of the stuff was from the 50s and 60s and how little things have changed and how relevant the message is, the fact people still listen after like 50 years speaks volumes

@@ramblingmadman

yes Mr Watts was a pretty unique guy, to use his phrase pefectly amazing is fitting

I have spent a lot of time contemplating the universe and the whole reality thing, science is amazing but i think philosophy is equal if not even greater because its more developed, its so rich and it literally leaves me in awe, thats what philosophy is to be in awe

Its such a shame so many people find it boring, I know very few people in the real world who actually give a fuk and I dont understand how people cant ponder it, plenty call it 'shite' without even knowing the basics

Its great to see you mate, deep dweller lol we still use the term today mate and you coined it lol

:yinyang:

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 5

So guys, what do you think about the reasons as to why some but not others are more disposed to the understanding of the deeper reality ?

See, now on a personal basis, I can remember being a small child, looking up at the stars and I can 'feel' the wonderment experienced still when I engage with deeper thinking, that wonderment and feeling gained from it has not disappeared and is very comforting, much like a warm blanket with the heating on when you're full of flu on a cold winter's day.

It's a pull to explore, an absolute necessity even from the core and in my view it is the constant bashing of society's propaganda and aims of control that is the causation of seperation from the universal reality that governs all into the ego's reality of the individual being greater than the whole and this governance of control causes a disconnect between the mind and soul. (to know who you are, you need to be connected internally as much as externally)

I see many realities on various levels that are interlocking and dependent upon eachother yet independant of eachother and constructs of a fabricated truth that get's pushed as being the 'one truth' by those that 'see' the least and really for bigger picture we humans nowadays have it arse backwards.

Supposed to be sentient creatures but I wonder sometimes about the 'fish bowl' world we mull around in, duly following a linear path of beginning, middle and end and indeed, this is advocated as being the 'truth'...It's madness I say, absolute madness and if you look at my sig, there's a reason as to why I chose that quote, a reason as to why I appreciate the mind of the man that wrote it and I coloured it in the way I have as to to relay what it is that quote actually means in the larger context.

Yeah I'm all for the 'deep dwelling' and the 'dwellers' who engage with it' as this is my home and always was and it is not following that throughout my life which has caused so much anguish :yep:

We are not in control peeps, it's an equal thing between us and the whole and if we wish we can accelerate our understanding by reading the signs of the path to follow :yinyang:

• Like 6

Others? what is this Others of which you speak? ok sorry just taking the piss. Seriously though. No not seriously. What? Why ? Some dont care and some learn not to care and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

So guys, what do you think about the reasons as to why some but not others are more disposed to the understanding of the deeper reality ?

I have no idea the answer to this, what I do know is it bores the life out of 99% of people. Science and maths has the same effect most people do not give a fuk. Science makes you feel irelevant, you are a tiny point in space we can observe about 90 billion light years no one has the first idea of how big it is beyond that given history its highly likely to be much much larger but we have no way of knowing

A light year is an incredible distance, 90 billion of them is mind boggling, we think its 20 billion years old so science and its discoveries make you think

'poor little me, an ego enclosed in a bag of skin'

Your internal world is separate to the external world, unconnected

I think the answer to the question why people dont care is the same answer as to why I find (amongst many other ordinary things) football a pile of crap, we are all different

See, now on a personal basis, I can remember being a small child, looking up at the stars and I can 'feel' the wonderment experienced still when I engage with deeper thinking, that wonderment and feeling gained from it has not disappeared and is very comforting, much like a warm blanket with the heating on when you're full of flu on a cold winter's day.

I can relate to this, if anything the wonder has increased, reality is amazing. I was an 80s child so all the unexplained stuff I was brought up with always knowing there are many mysteries in the world

It's a pull to explore, an absolute necessity even from the core and in my view it is the constant bashing of society's propaganda and aims of control that is the causation of seperation from the universal reality that governs all into the ego's reality of the individual being greater than the whole and this governance of control causes a disconnect between the mind and soul. (to know who you are, you need to be connected internally as much as externally)

Its great isnt it, when you ask yourself what am I you might think oh my body and my mind however its been proved that all the cells in your body are renewed in a cycle approximately every seven years so wtf are we, where do we actually reside?, a concious point in space yet we have no idea where we actually exist. See the lecture I post at the end if you are interested. we are a flow of, eggs, steak and bacon etc lol

I see many realities on various levels that are interlocking and dependent upon eachother yet independant of eachother and constructs of a fabricated truth that get's pushed as being the 'one truth' by those that 'see' the least and really for bigger picture we humans nowadays have it arse backwards.

The cells that make up our body have no way of knowing that all collectively together they make up a person in the same way we cant see that collectively everything makes up God!

We are not in control peeps, it's an equal thing between us and the whole and if we wish we can accelerate our understanding by reading the signs of the path to follow

We are not in control of anything, your feelings for instance, you are not in control of them only your actions can you control. This is what the Zen masters teach you slowly. they make you go away and try and then you think OMFG I am not in control of my thoughts so why bother, it seems to me like you get sick of trying and accept the fact that there is no point in worrying or stressing over things you have no control over and thats when you start living in the eternal now

Its very good for people who struggle with anxiety issues etc, meditation is recommended for lots of things like anxiety

Good post, took me a while to reply, you know the score. Life is busy!

if you are interested this is a great lecture

:yinyang:

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Got to love AW, have 4 or 5 of his books.

I can across a TV series about the power of myth a while ago, it`s really out there, and makes you think, it`s a guy interviewing Joseph Campbell, can`t find it on YT but it`s available on PB 

here`s a bit if you haven`t already seen his stuff

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Got to love AW

It would be rude not to!, still I know plenty of people that call it ''shite'', same people arent interested in science or anything outside of football and maybe Eastenders. Each to their own I suppose ....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

same people arent interested in science or anything outside of football and maybe Eastenders. Each to their own I suppose ....

It`s a free world, but they don`t possess free minds ime, I know lots of people who baulk at the thought of science etc. 

I don`t know how much is the fact of crap teachers, or just disinterest and the like, I didn`t learn anything of value until years after leaving school, since then though, I`ve been learning about all the sciences and philosophy, it`s all fascinating to me.

About 7 years ago I told someone I used to know that I`d recently learned that colour comes from the vibration of light waves, and each colour having different vibrations, I was blown away at that, when I told him, he said to me "so?" lol 

• Like 5