The benefits of liquid seaweed fertilizer

Guest StonerCol

@

The same effect as what it'd have if you watered it through the roots, in most cases the effects onset quicker and are more noticeable than with a root drench. Great for just after you have potted up and between waterings when the roots have not fully established yet.

• Like 3

Guest fulltimer

@

The same effect as what it'd have if you watered it through the roots, in most cases the effects onset quicker and are more noticeable than with a root drench. Great for just after you have potted up and between waterings when the roots have not fully established yet.

So opaque liquids are ok to use as well? They wont gunk up the leafs machinery? I have sprayed before but only ahead of the rain for fear. When i say opaque liquids i mean humic acid based feeds, which even diluted are dark and full of little particulates. These are the only types of feed i use as theyre cheap and it seems just as effective.

Some of the pesticides and fungicides leave a residue for many days, which i put up with for the sake of their effectiveness, but its not something i want from regular feeds...

Edited by fulltimer

I tend to use the usual Grow and Bloom, Silicone and Granules...but I think I want to add some seaweed and molasses into the mix. Is Maxicrop the same stuff? I have an old bottle of that knocking around.

• Like 1

@@ananda

Use it mate ;)

It can burn of you over do it mind when drenching and I never go over 1ml/L with the Maxicrop (usually 0.5ml/L unless I think they want it)

Liquid seaweed always has a place in my regime, fantastic stuff :yep: but some of the info in that article @@StonerCol I was unaware of so thank mate for putting that info up :v:

• Like 2

Guest StonerCol

What effect is spraying it on plants going to have? Just as feed? Tbh ive always been wary of non clear sprays as ive seen stuff stick to the leave and survive multiple rainstorms in the past...

@ The answer is in the article mate :)

Foliar application is no doubt the most efficient and effective method of administering liquid seaweed to your plants . Kelp extracts are 8 to 20 times more effective when applied to the leaves than when broadcast on the soil. Spray as a fine mist until it drips off the plants’ surfaces and the plants will immediately absorb the fertilizer and begin to benefit from it by the second day.

I always use Alg-a-mic ( biobizz )...its great stuff the plants love it....always good to use after a transplant it greatly helps the plant deal with the stress..!....!

Liquid seaweed is good.

Both as a quick fix and all round tonic.

But for my two pence I would say calcified seaweed added to yr pot/compost early on is a better option.

All the benefits of seaweed extract but also a great ph balancer and source of calcium for those living in soft water areas. For out door/living soil growers it's an excellent soil conditioner and Claybreaker providing a multitude of micro nutrients/minerals and improving all round nutrient uptake.

A little harder to source in the UK these days than previously (no longer legal to harvest off our shores) but still available if you look.

It also has longevity. A couple of applications being adequate for several seasons compared to seaweed extract requiring multiple doses per season..

2p opinion. Many may disagree...

• Like 3

Guest StonerCol

I was advised to use formulex specifically during the first 2 weeks, which is what I do. I use a very weak solution during the 2nd and 3rd week of the plants growth.

Nice post.

I love using seaweed on the lawn, it smells geart lush! After application, the following day when I go out in the garden it smells like I am close to a beach or harbour, and I am not, I am over an hour from the coast.

I've never cooked mine mate @@botanics

The recommended application rate is 1 handful per 2.5lt in potting soils but I use a lot less.

Generally around one handful per pot whether 6.5lt or 10lt.

The stuff I get locally comes in a granular form that looks alot like perlite but I usually powder it first using an old coffee grinder I keep for these type of things.

Regards Dodge

• Like 1