Best quality LED brands?

Mistyinroots

LED's allowed me to overcome certain issues in my grow space

The important part is the quality of the end product, which imo is better when grown with LED's. Commercial growers may not be interested in using LED's as their produce does tend to be larger but for my tastes lacks flavour. It just comes down to personal taste.

You clearly state you had issues in your grow using HPS which I presume would be heat and distance to plants so for you to say the LED's produce better bud is flawed.

Maybe the reason for you producing better buds is because the LED being far less powerful let you get the light close without damaging the plant and also produced less heat which in turn gave you better buds.

Thats not to say LED produce better buds in general though, someone with ideal conditions using HPS could have just as good buds as you achieved with the LED, I would bet it was your conditions improving which gave you a better end product with the LED not so much the light produced by the LED.

As for commercial growers I clearly stated I wasn't talking about weed growers, you have massive commercial greenhouses that use artificial lighting and I've yet to read about or hear about any using LED's and if there was anyone looking to save cash on running costs it's these type companies so you really need to ask the question as to why they don't use them, the simple answer is they ain't as good as HID lighting.

you have massive commercial greenhouses that use artificial lighting and I've yet to read about or hear about any using LED's and if there was anyone looking to save cash on running costs it's these type companies so you really need to ask the question as to why they don't use them, the simple answer is they ain't as good as HID lighting.

In the interest of balance I should point out that there is this one;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2014/07/28/is-worlds-largest-indoor-farm-the-way-of-the-future/

Only growing lettuces but the tech is on its way.

• Like 4

... and this one

Green Sense Farms leases a 30,000-square foot warehouse in a centrally located industrial park, which can serve a 5-state Midwestern region. It has built two climatecontrolled grow rooms, each equipped with seven 12-meter tall grow towers and 7,000 Philips GreenPower LED production modules. The cool burning lights require less climate control and use less energy, so they can be placed closer to the plants, allowing for more levels to be stacked. For Green Sense Farms this resulted in a cost savings and increased production.

small.phil2144.jpg

I bet they wouldn't be making money for a while if they paid cash for all those lights though.

• Like 4

Well there you go the first I've seen, maybe more will follow, time will tell.

The costs may start to come down in the coming years as well which is when real interest will grow and also we'll see just how reliable they are :yep:

They go hand in hand. If you make a statement which goes against the grain people are going to wonder whats going on.

As you have said your 400w HID grow was inefficient in your setup and now your LED is more matched for your grow environment.

Thats not a fair comparison of the lighting technology as one is being restricted by the environment.

Quite a few people challenging you are growing with LEDs

The main reason my grow environment is better suited to my LED's is it allows me to run multiple lights (4) more efficiently. If I were to do this even with 250W HID's then the total wattage would be a 1000W. As it stands I am using around 500W. When you costs this over a year its quite a significant saving.

The current grow environment is not ideal for both types of lights as I can not get them high enough to increase the coverage. The situation is what is it is, and my comparisons between the two lights is what I discovered and nothing more.

• Like 1

I have no idea what LED's are in them I just know that they work. I guess the "smart" bit is the ability to program them to an ideal light cycle which you have to admit is quite clever. The purpose of these forums should be to disseminate knowledge so that all can benefit, not to criticise those who dare to try something different. LED's are best suited to certain environments where heat build can be an issue. There are other places that would benefit from an HID. Horses for courses etc... The bottom line is that some really do work, and work well.

It is a place to disseminate knowledge to benefit all; telling me something without showing me doesn't equate to that.

As said on the other thread the same as this today; if it's as good as you say, do a diary, truly put the knowledge out there to be disseminated by all of us.

Getting up on a high horse, and trying to shout everybody down means even if what you say is true, nobody will believe you and put you in the file under snake oil salesman (and we seem to be having a few of those today:))

... and this one

small.phil2144.jpg

I bet they wouldn't be making money for a while if they paid cash for all those lights though.

I bet that guy in the picture is happy he doesn't have to change all those bulbs once a year :yahoo:

It is a place to disseminate knowledge to benefit all; telling me something without showing me doesn't equate to that.

As said on the other thread the same as this today; if it's as good as you say, do a diary, truly put the knowledge out there to be disseminated by all of us.

Getting up on a high horse, and trying to shout everybody down means even if what you say is true, nobody will believe you and put you in the file under snake oil salesman (and we seem to be having a few of those today:))

I'm not shouting anybody down and there are plenty of grow diaries out there already. Have a look you may like what you find ; )

Maybe you should experiment with an LED yourself, after all first hand experience is everything. You might even like the end product ; )

And that is??

Edited to add, are the diaries you talk of yours? If not, answer what I said above; diary or spoofer?

Edited by Superdedupity

And that is??

Edited to add, are the diaries you talk of yours? If not, answer what I said above; diary or spoofer?

not really sure what you mean, but before I purchased my lights I researched the technology and the people who had published grow diaries proved very helpful in allowing me to make a decision. Of course it was only when I had completed a grow with them that I fully understood the pro's & con's of the LED's that I purchased. Not sure how me publicising a diary would change anything. I am happy with what I have discovered and happy to continue using it. If you have no interest in LED's then so be it, but we are all entitled to an opinion.

not really sure what you mean, but before I purchased my lights I researched the technology and the people who had published grow diaries proved very helpful in allowing me to make a decision. Of course it was only when I had completed a grow with them that I fully understood the pro's & con's of the LED's that I purchased. Not sure how me publicising a diary would change anything. I am happy with what I have discovered and happy to continue using it. If you have no interest in LED's then so be it, but we are all entitled to an opinion.

I'm interested in LEDs and what some of the great growers here demonstrate with them; I'm not interested in somebody telling me something and just expecting me to believe; as said above, do a diary; if what you say is true you'll be helping the revolution by showing what you say to be true. I'd love to see it; I suspect plenty more here would too.

Or, as the 10+ who've made the same claims as you here in the last 12 months, don't do a diary, get arsey with people asking you to prove what you say, make snide remarks (as I've just quoted to you) and then disappear.

Choice is yours, words are just words, the proof is in the diary

• Like 1

@@jimmi68 what I can say is that in the last few weeks of flower the plants that got more light from the leds went purple and the buds where honestly super hard and heavier. I can look in my jars and pick out the buds from each light, as for taste once cured and smoked you couldn't tell the difference. A mix of both technologies is certainly the way forward atm.

That's my findings and happy enough with it, but I'm not gonna make silly claims.

I agree, in the right environment the mixtures of the different light spectrums can only be beneficial for the plants.

@@jimmi68 do a diary mate as its interesting to see different types of led being used,it also helps become part of one of the better communities on the net..Feel free to look through my diaries to.. :oldtoker: