DIY CXB3070 Micro grow

Badders

Theres nothing hard about making a DIY COB, dont put people off saying you need electrical skills, no more than you need for any other part of a grow room,

your driver puts out 144VDC but the plug socket you've shoved it in is 240vac,

No Scare mongering in here please!

I found I could start and run my heatsinks fans @ 5vdc (mobile phone charger) much quieter and a bit less power, no change in junction temp, took readings before and after with thermocouple.

ooops didnt mean to scare-monger,just want to make sure they understood we aren't playing with small voltages and that caution is required.

The grow still going ok?

Nice avatar btw hehe,

Grow is going good! Will update this thread soon with pics and details, moved house and took me a while to get going in the loft, I swapped my passive heatsinks for cpu heatsinks, much cooler know and I prefer the spread. and easy of moving them around if needs be,

I think all i meant about the scare mongering is that when anyone wires up a growroom they will introduce themselves to 240vac when wiring stats and fans etc... If they can do that making a DIY COB is easy peasy :)

• Like 1

Air-pots are amazing. Almost impossible to overwater and your pots never get root bound so you don't get lockout. Make brilliantly efficient use of the medium.

Did you lollipop this grow? That is, did you remove the bottom 30% or so of leaves and stems? That helps focus on the main cola growth and it helps circulation. Also take out the bigger fan leaves, and make sure you have enough air circulation. You definitely need good air circulation, intake, and extraction.

Agree with the posters who said under any kind of LED add Cal/Mag now and again as a preventative.

Another great thing for LED grows is Bio-Silicon. It'll help make the stems thicker and that helps nutrient uptake & helps prevent disease.

Thanks dude this is great info, I will check out the air pots, How is it they never get rootbound? cal / mag from epsom salts? Will get some bio silicon!

I am always too scared to top / fim / lollipop....

I will update this thread proper today / tomorrow,

thanks for the help

• Like 1

@@Badders

They don't get rootbound because as the roots get to the edge or bottom of the pots they find too much light/oxygen and they die. And that's okay, cannabis has a fibrous root system so more roots more centrally to the plant get to grow.

Have a look at this video that shows the effect of a bag (basically a standard pot) against fabric and air pots. (Fabric pots are just as good as air-pots, not quite as physically sturdy and I think you need to put them on a mesh for drainage whereas the air-pots have that integrate, but they work on a similar principle).

Epsom salts are pure magnesium. Magnesium actually helps uptake of calcium, but only if the calcium is already in the medium. I'd get some Cal-Mag nutrient for cannabis, you don't need much and it lasts for ages. I use the stuff from Plant Magic without a problem.

I'm not experienced with fimming, but topping and lollipopping work. Especially under a LED light you'll never get penetration to the lower colas or leaves, but they're draining nutrients and "grow signals" from the plant. Stripping them makes the plant focus its resources on the parts of the plant that can see the light. Once you top you'll never stop. If you don't top you get a massive main cola, and mediocre surrounding colas. But that main fat cola is really inviting bud rot as it's so big and dense.

An advantage of topping is if you have a propagator and a modest, separate light you can top a node down and not only will your plants busy out and give you masses more colas you also get loads of free clones to grow out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info once again, I'm about to flip to 12/12 so I think I might be too late for topping this crew, but I will most certainly do it next time round,

Do you know the shelf life of typical nutes, I've actually got some bio silicon, I think its about 1 year old, risky or legit?

• 2 weeks later...

Grow 3:: Overgrown update:

Have moved into the loft, internal box dimensions are 900w, 400d, 950h -- space is still limited by swmbo -

4" in, 5" out

100W of 52%6 effficient vxb 3070 - PPFD is slightly slower, might add a vero 29 5000k in a week or so,

heres some pictures,

its ugorg blue / noname

day 2 - 12/12

gallery_9694_10926_69502.jpg

gallery_9694_10926_233738.jpg

day4,

gallery_9694_10926_51173.jpg

gallery_9694_10926_182381.jpg

• Like 4

week 3, not sure exactly when, forgot to write down the start date. :kwasny:

gallery_9694_10926_6666.jpg

gallery_9694_10926_1928.jpg

med_gallery_9694_10926_184317.jpg

the leaves at the top are curling under, could be my lights were too close, moved them a bit higher, could also be too much N.

med_gallery_9694_10926_172768.jpg

gallery_9694_10926_212022.jpg

• Like 1

Nice-n-green!!! @@Badders

+1 on a silicone thing, good stuff!

What's with the heater? Still cold? :)

Hey dude,

heater is keeping the room between 20-25, not the warmest of summer yet eh?!

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_9694_10926_87349.jpg

gallery_9694_10926_16889.jpg

anyone got any ideas for this plant, a few of the a fan leaves are reverse-canoeing, the leaves are rolling under themselves (see leaf in middle of picture)

this plant is affected, the other 2 are not. This is closest to the heater and incoming air,

the tips are curling down; too much Nitrogen or feed ?

this is approx 4 weeks in I think

• Like 2

gallery_9694_10926_334958.jpg

a mid height bud on the healthier looking plant, I've lost track of days, I think this must be about week 5/6 as I wrote in my phone calendar that i should be chopping at the end of august for week 8/9.

It stinks so bad. after removing some old fan leaves and having a poke I'm left with a sticky film over my hands and forearms.

I'm still having trouble with the plant mentioned in the previous post, she doesn't appear to changed much in the past few days, leaves curling down and under is still happening, that said there all over due a watering because of visitors...

temps are between 19-22 at the moment with the heater off.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_9694_10926_99741.jpg

~ 8 weeks, there abouts. this is some noname which has turned purple this week gone, the other plants look similar but not as healthy, (obviously I'm not showing them to you ;) )

I estimate I should hit 1g/W, but thats no big deal when the lamps are 60% efficient. This will bite me in the ass come winter though as I'll be paying some extra heating bills..

anywho ... in the words of Arnie,

"get to da chopppa" --

So a few observations, 1 pretty fucking major.

turns out I dont think I've been watering properly. I watered some fresh starters for the first time the other day and noticed a few moments later that although I thought I had saturated the pot, all the water has just washed down the sides leaving the majority of the compost dry,

I'm concerned I may have been doing this all this grow and previous grows as I watered them same as I ever do,

Perhaps I'm letting them get to dry and so the water just runs off...

I wish growing was logical and less analogue. oh well. at least I've got something basic to brush up on, might explain my crap ganja!

These plants were sad guys when they started (moved house, under 2 CFLs for a month etc.. ) So im happy with the outcome.

Will be topping and training to try and get more outa my footprint this time round.

Also loads of people over on RIU talk about the requirement for extra Cal and mag supplements under LED so i'll try and do a bit of reading,

cheers for looking,

Bipolar Badders

• Like 6