Best bulb bar none 150w hps

Aurora Ruderalis

Thought I would post this pic for those who may not have seen these graphs before, tis one of the reasons am so keen on obtaining one of these iwasaki lamps:

daylight wavelength

Now when the above graphs are compared to HPS and current LED outputs then compared with a plants requirements things get very interesting, also note the large spike in the yellow spectrum for halide lamps, also note I am in no way associated with Iwasaki lighting..

• Like 2

y axis is relative power,

relative to the 420nm spike.

so its not actually telling you what power is exhibited @ that specific wavelength.

Will make a better post after tea.

but it look very interesting none the less, have you got a link for the graph?

The reef growers are certainly impressed, not much surfaced on grow sites.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/sbj4/aquarium/articles/MetalHalideLamps2.htm

Edited by Badders

y axis is relative power,

relative to the 420nm spike.

so its not actually telling you what power is exhibited @ that specific wavelength.

Will make a better post after tea.

but it look very interesting none the less, have you got a link for the graph?

The graph is from the manufacturers site of which there are several regional variations including a horticultural specific one which appears to be once again the same/similar lamps, there are also various pdf's for the variety of lamps they produce which also include the graph above, as you said reef growers are very happy with them for reef growth which apparently have symbiotic algae that photosynthesise feeding the corals though its not something I know a lot about I know a man that does who went totally LED recently and is also happy with LED's though he uses up to a 20k kelvin colour temp.

The iwasakis are however available from 150w up to 1Kw variants including all our regular horticultural sizes, fortunately the manufacturer does list the ANSI ballast compatability codes for the lamps in question as they come in 2 variants, one with an integral ingnitor like the old HPS egg lamps and one without that may work on most horticultural specific HPS/MH ballasts with integral ignitors, do check before you buy though as I cannot and will not be held responsible for any purchasing mistakes or blown lamps/ballasts or fires :eek: and I would recommend contacting the manufacturers UK office to check ballast compatability. I do however have a list of various ANSI ballast/lamp codes that I could post up that may help some though this may be a dead end for some as I haven't seen many if any horticultural ballast manufacturers publish ANSI compatability codes which is frustrating to say the least. Stumbled across these lamps a few years ago and have been itching to try then since, also some interesting stuff on lighting spectrum and how it affects plants here: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=173910&page=4

If you haven't already do read the whole thread above when you get chance as there are one or two links that are very interesting along with several experiments by growers here with UV lamps etc..

• Like 1

The graph is from the manufacturers site of which there are several regional variations including a horticultural specific one which appears to be once again the same/similar lamps, there are also various pdf's for the variety of lamps they produce which also include the graph above, as you said reef growers are very happy with them for reef growth which apparently have symbiotic algae that photosynthesise feeding the corals though its not something I know a lot about I know a man that does who went totally LED recently and is also happy with LED's though he uses up to a 20k kelvin colour temp.

The iwasakis are however available from 150w up to 1Kw variants including all our regular horticultural sizes, fortunately the manufacturer does list the ANSI ballast compatability codes for the lamps in question as they come in 2 variants, one with an integral ingnitor like the old HPS egg lamps and one without that may work on most horticultural specific HPS/MH ballasts with integral ignitors, do check before you buy though as I cannot and will not be held responsible for any purchasing mistakes or blown lamps/ballasts or fires :eek: and I would recommend contacting the manufacturers UK office to check ballast compatability. I do however have a list of various ANSI ballast/lamp codes that I could post up that may help some though this may be a dead end for some as I haven't seen many if any horticultural ballast manufacturers publish ANSI compatability codes which is frustrating to say the least. Stumbled across these lamps a few years ago and have been itching to try then since, also some interesting stuff on lighting spectrum and how it affects plants here: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=173910&page=4

If you haven't already do read the whole thread above when you get chance as there are one or two links that are very interesting along with several experiments by growers here with UV lamps etc..

thanks for the link dude, sorry I sounded so authoritative in my initial reply, guess was hungry.

http://www.rollitup.org/t/cree-cxa-analysis.743645/

thats a link to the relative power issue i was talking about, explained much better there than I could heh.

Interesting link there Badders, especially for those considering LED lights, I however find it interesting they mention the 250nm and 350nm wavelengths as beneficial for plants (and most if not all HPS/MH lamps lack) which makes me think resin production for canna or equatorial/high altitude plant growth, just found a few lamps with these very wavelengths on fleabay from around £3 each in 9watt up to 36watt variants with a G23 base/socket for various purposes and am thinking they would be very handy for adding the UV that most hps/mh lamp manufacturers filter out for safety reasons, am thinking resin production in the last 2-3 weeks of flower which is exactly where am at right now with my current grow. If anyone does get similar lamps with these UV wavelengths ensure you turn them off when viewing the plants as its nasty stuff for us humans that you don't want to be exposed to as it can cause eye damage and skin cancer not to mention a nice suntan along with sterilising your skin with the 250nm light. Seems to me a few of these would sit beside my HPS or a MH lamp very nicely bolted to my wing type reflector with a nice spread from 2 or 4 lamps....

Also googled for the PDF document mentioned (found it) as the link provided in your link is dead and saved said PDF for later perusal, not sure if its a commercial site so wont link it here and its easy to find if you google: MeasuringPlantLight.pdf

Bit off topic but am sure others may benefit from understanding how plants use light better (am sure I will) especially as some of it can't even be seen by us funny monkeys.

• Like 1

hey dude, I too got quite intrigued by the UV-b thing last night, after some reading the general thrust was that;

a) UVb helps make the psychoactive stuff in the heads of the glands

b) ~365nm was considered a good starting point for wavelength (UVb band)

c) 0.5-1W/sq m was a close approximation to mid day exposure in hawaii.

d) only needs a few hours during the day.

That said there aren't many people running them led style as suitable chips are ^^ £100!

• Like 1

What's the consensus on black light? Ain't got time to research.. Great thread and contributions....carry on

;)

Uv is interesting, is that not what trichomes are for? Uv protection. Hence higher altitude higher quality. Higher density of Co2 and more Uv. And uvb vibes. High altitude dope rocks... Why?

;)

Edited by crystal warrior

• 4 weeks later...

Uv is interesting, is that not what trichomes are for? Uv protection. Hence higher altitude higher quality. Higher density of Co2 and more Uv. And uvb vibes. High altitude dope rocks... Why?

;)

It has been suggested that Trichomes are a response to UV light in some circumstances and there is evidence to support this, certainly worth a try for the cost required.

Just purchased a couple of '6000K Halide lamps' in 250w and 400w variations, £13 each on fleabay, they also do a 150w version though no 600w version, wanted a couple ready for my next indoor run in a month or two and they're cheap enough until I can find the iwasakis at the right price. New digital ballast and tent due soon too..

• 2 months later...