the placebo effect and religion

distracted

Is anyone watching the Horizon doc on The Placebo effect? Watching it and the power seems to be belief.... and it is apparently very real and genuinely good for us, could religion (irregardless of if it is true or not) have the same effect?

Edited by distracted
  • Like 4

I can see this maybe gettin a bit deep so before it does I'm just Gona say I think I might do yeah ....house full of people bein nice it would be hard not to b as well ...I don't belive in god but I could tag along for the happy ride.....this is turnin long and I gota go work ..lol..saved by the bell

So basicaly if u half belive in the idea..and your surround by(stereotype)happy clappy people..all positive and freindly then I would say it's very easy to get right into it ..

Edited by 2bad.

Yup, I do believe Religion is largely Placebo, and as such it works very well indeed.

Its time for Science to wake up to the power of the subconscious mind. Truly extraordinary.

• Like 4

Did you watch the Horizon program Arnold? If not it is fascinating, should be on iplayer, even when people know they are on a placebo it still has a positive effect.... it is truly astounding what we can persuade ourselves to be true.... the opposite of health is also a candidate for a "placebo" effect too I'm sure but genuine chemical changes in the body through thought alone is a powerful alteration for good (and bad).

Edited by distracted
  • Like 1

I don't put much stock by any claims made on BBC Horizon, it's a show that has in the past put out some very misleading information and given airtime to a lot of pseudo-science.

• Like 1

I don't put much stock by any claims made on BBC Horizon, it's a show that has in the past put out some very misleading information and given airtime to a lot of pseudo-science.

Did you watch it though ?

• Like 1

Cheers @@distracted sounds like a really interesting programme, I'll give it a watch on the iPlayer :) The whole placebo effect thing fascinates me, the fact that your mind can actually influence your body to such a degree. As an agnostic I tend to reject the whole concept of belief, but as a former scientist I can't discount the fact that if you believe in the efficacy of a medicine it can actually make that medicine work (to a certain extent - painkillers & the like), even if it's just sugar pills. The mind is an incredible thing.

Edited by Boojum

It strikes me that if a sugar pill can trick the mind into chemically changing the body then a sugar belief should be able to do the same, is this the basis of faith healing? Is there a real mechanism at work there? Are we as agnostics missing a trick? Is there room for believe in ourselves as wonderful constructs capable of self healing in body and mind with out the need for an imaginary (or real for some) ethereal influence?

• Like 3

Is anyone watching the Horizon doc on The Placebo effect? Watching it and the power seems to be belief.... and it is apparently very real and genuinely good for us, could religion (irregardless of if it is true or not) have the same effect?

Not sure if it was the same program (is this one a repeat?) but the thing that really blew my mind about placebos is that even if you know you have been given a placebo, it still works.

• Like 3

I am going to watch it again. I kept getting distracted when watching it. It did look fascinating.