bull brand butane from poundshop no longer zero impurities?!

Grimweeder

just read the milligram scale bag mason jar method and thought -is spraying it onto a mirror no good as a basic test for impurities?

The mirror test is an absolute fail, besides not using a large enough sample, the mirror condenses moisture from the ambient air which is easily confused for impurities, if it had any benefit I'd say so. It's just the way things went down, no one knew until the guy at FaceBook observed what was going on with a multi can boil off, and did the right thing by posting up,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mystery-Oil/191952837642348

All I did was take what he was doing to observe the non-volatile residue (Mystery Oil,) and made it as simple as possible.

" My simple, easy, and concise test provides the weight/percentage, tint, and odor of the residue with just a 300ml/165g sample (one can's worth.) To test bulk tank supplies just use an inexpensive scale to squirt the same amount (~165g) to the receiving jar. About165g has turned out to be the perfect minimal sized test sample to get decent readings with a milligram scale, a larger sample can be taken for increased accuracy, it just takes longer to boil off... "

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=329577&page=10#entry4209769

Edited by SkyHighLer
  • Like 5

i noticed yesterday my usual bull brand shop has cans with blue lids and cans with red lids, no zero impurities logo on the red lid cans. makes little difference to me these days, ive been rosining daily since march. ive got the hair straighteners heating up at the moment so I can make a batch of rosin to see me through a hard days gardening and greenhouse building. clean dabs :)

• Like 3

@@Shogun Had my first go at making rosin with drysift last night. Well impressed with the little dab it produced and will definitely be doing more and leaning the tech.

@@SkyHighLer Thats some good info bud, thank you. I was going to do the mirror test on the red cans but as it happens I found some more blue top in poundland so never bought any :upside:

If your unsure of the new Bull brand cans then avoid them.

Go direct to London or Newport and get a much better deal knowing your impurities are within the range stated on the spec sheet.

I see people dabbing all sorts of shit nowadays and its not clever, if your making extracts surely you want the highest quality end result?

Spend the extra 50p and do your health a favor.

:v:

The Bull Brand cans left that state the zero impurities are the last ones so once we stop seeing them I guess bull brand will be one to avoid.

@@Grimweeder Sancho's vid pretty much explains the rosin tek, its a new technique so still in its infancy but its becoming very popular. theres a few vids on youtube and a couple of threads here and there on forums. its quick and simple and once you get used to it, it can yield the same as bho but guaranteed butane free.

if you want big slabs of oil then rosin aint the way forward, it would take a while to make a slab. I press up about 2 grams of bud each day and get myself several dabs from that.

@@Vicfirth12 you get good yields of rosin from dry sift but I think rosin from bud tastes better, its also always golden from bud, the rosin ive made from sift tends to go greenish.

I think bull brand will notice a massive dip in sales now that their butane aint zero impurities.

• Like 1

Yeah, it did have a green tinge. I only used around 0.3g of sift so ive only dipped my toe. Will have to try it with some bud and see the difference :v:

• Like 1

Just phoned bull brand and they said they can no longer can print the 'near zero' cans because that is newport's logo but they then went on to say that newport supplies bull brand?! I asked if the cans with red tops and the silver bull still contain clean tane and the answer was "some do some don't"

Im goning to get some and do a test alongside the old labled can.

I think bull brand will notice a massive dip in sales now that their butane aint zero impurities.

why don't they come up with a different logo then* ?

it'd take someone 5 mins in ms paint , they could call it "virtually zero " if the current logo belongs to newport.

*just don't ask our members to choose one , they'd be here all year.

• Like 1

@@Abe Froman The guy on the phone said newport supplies bull brand and seemed confused himself as to why they could no longer print the cans with the zero impurities. All I know is if a company can not say conclusively wether or not they have clean tane in the cans then I am going to avoid them.

Edited by VicFirth12

I hope the mods here will forgive me this major violation of the rules... Here's a direct link to my continuously updated Best to Worst Canned Butane List:

[FORUM LINK REMOVED]

As canned butane legally requires ground shipping, it's basically impossible for me to get brands sold outside the US. Not even from Canada...

I hear the UK has a butane huffing problem, part of my reason for posting over here.

If you won't or can't test your butane using a test such as mine, (and I repeat, the 'mirror test' is useless!) take a look at my list and notice the country of manufacture is somewhat indicative of the quality, (this is imo, and these are broad generalizations... as exceptions exist and are becoming more and more common, alright!!!)

Best to worst: English/UK > USA > Chinese > Korean

Recently, the most popular English brands like Newport and Colibri didn't do so well on retest (Lucienne retested ok, but wasn't as clean as it was,) and a couple of big players (vendors of nitrous oxide 'chargers' in the US, they're sold at every headshop...) actually got some decent butane out of Korea, and also went to the trouble of bringing to US shores some fairly decent never heard of before English brands, Crown and Ultra Pure.

I love Lotus... sweet!!!!

US Ronson was bought out by Zippo a couple of years ago, and both lines were upgraded to "Near Zero Impurities." I only test the full size cans, 300ml/165g usually, and have heard several reports the little cans and bottles, even from the industry leaders... have weird contamination problems, so unless you personally sample test from the available lot, I strongly suggest you avoid them.

Setting aside the amount of non-volatile residue, the English brands win hands down for residue clarity and absolute lack of odor. The US is a close second, and then comes the yellowish tint and funky odors of the Chinese and Korean gases residue.

Best, John E SkyHighLer in the US (word! :headbang:)

Edited by ~nobody~
  • Like 1