Which? Compost trials 2015

distracted

yeah it is dense stuff but it fluffs up OK, it is rich with ferts though, I got my outdoors up to 2 1/2 ft tall without feed, gave them some fish mix just before moving them out of the growroom but maybe not needed but I planted in untreated soil

sounds like your girls will love the medium you have given them

2 and a half foot was that before planting out then? They must have been tricky to move if so.

Yer I just think the bags have been pressed a bit to hard for my liking, it did fluff up fine once worked. I guess it helps with haulage thou, more dense less space.

When you say untreated you mean you have not even turned it over or added any amendments? Sort of permaculture style? Just hole for plant and put it in then? Interested if so to hear about it if you have time. I did one like this other day as was running out of space on my worked area so just planted one one its own few metres away in just a hole big enough for the pot.

moved them in tall thin boxes, did the same last year. it's good soil so just a small hole and dropped in the rootball, then scattered over the area slow release feed + trace elements.... fingers crossed for the Autumn, it worked very well last year

Edited by distracted
  • Like 1

not much crap in the new bags of verve near me, nice and fluffy. Also no gnats either it seems and so far its growing my tomatoes really well, usually use jacks magic

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I am in westlands multipurpose with ji. I have found it very good. Had enough nutes in soil for 4/wks.No pests (touch wood) but I will get a taxi back next time as those big bags are a bit tricky on a bus and they are damn heavy.

Edited by sy100276
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just want everyone to know Melcourt Sylvagrow is really good stuff and worth finding a local supplier. Its a real viable alternitive to peat and most importantly it is free from "GREENWASTE"! That means no chance of herbicide residue in your composts/weed like you get from some of those other garden cente composts.

It consists of "fine bark, wood fibre (bi-products of sustainably managed British forests) and coir (from a single, known source). It contains balanced nutrients sufficient for the first 4 - 6 weeks of growth." Its consistency is excellent too, lovely airy stuff that doesn't compact down (restricting root growth).

Like I said its great for going peat-free and would also serve well mixed with peat to reduce your peat consumption, if you care about those sorts of things that is. What I'm saying of course is this compost is sustainable and the peat compost is not, its a finite resource and destroys habitats when extracting.

Its worth saying I paid something like £7 for it (in Thirsk), NOT £17 like it says on which, so I'd say its good value compared to a lot of Hydro shop peat-based compost prices.

• 1 month later...

I have some autos on the go 5 weeks in and for some reason they have just fucked it and have gone down hill, so am gonna pull them up. Don't know why it's happened and just can't figure it out , only thing I know is when I changed from CFL and led to hps they went down hill. But also the compost I was using levingtons multi purpose with added John innes had shit loads of crap and twigs in it

This would not have anything to do with me grow fucking it would it?

I'm gonna start again and have some of this stuff left but don't want to use it if it's wank , I have some pics in me gallery if anyone can offer some advice? Thanks