Which? Compost trials 2015

distracted

I'm using levingtons Original with this grow, it was too hot for the seedlings and some got leaf burn, they are seeming to like it a bit more as fresh growth comes through. @70% peat it isn't going to be something that pleases everyone though

• Like 3

That's great info. Thanks @@distracted.

I'll keep it on record for the next time I but supplies. Potting up in a couple of weeks so probably then. Gunna put the details into a spreadsheet and have some nerdy fun.

Ole

Eta. Just went to which page and you have to subscribe to see the figures, might be more work than I reckoned to retune them all.

Edited by olesmokie

Why did they go and use the 12L bag of Verve, which they say is a different mix to the others? Surely most people will be using more than that?! And the 120L bags are only 5p a litre...

• Like 2

i just got 2 of the 125ltr bags of the BnQ verve a couple of days ago, they were only 6 quid odds each and the design has changed also...they are purple all over now.

i just got 2 of the 125ltr bags of the BnQ verve a couple of days ago, they were only 6 quid odds each and the design has changed also...they are purple all over now.

what you make of it? thinking of getting some myself...obviously you wouldnt of had time to use it yet?

Picked up a 25L (33% extra free apparently) bag of Westland MP + JI to test alongside a 50L bag of Levington's from Homebase. Not sure if this was due to the small size, but it needed a lot of riddling. However, my young plants are liking it. I took some pics to compare & forgot to get a photo of the Levingtons lol think I prefer Levingtons

WL MP + JI

WL MP + JI

WL MP + JI

WL MP + JI

Anyone get the bigger bags of Westlands MP + JI?

The carbon gold flopped on raised young plants.

Strange.

Probaly use clover or erin myself, shame they are not in trial.

Would like to try levington original thou.

Cheers @@wildbill

What you use?

Went for some Vitax MPC with Q4 fertilser.

Looks nice high peat mix.

Not in trial sadly.

i use the purple 125 l bajs of verve multi purpose.

its quite fine, but the bastard funjus twats in it.

Is there any way of killin them in the baj before i pot anythin up?

• Like 1

i use the purple 125 l bajs of verve multi purpose.

its quite fine, but the bastard funjus twats in it.

Is there any way of killin them in the baj before i pot anythin up?

10-475-150_gnat_Off.jpg

:lucky:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a supplier who had the levington original so grabbed 4 bags but costs 12 quid for 2 x 50 litre bags. Hopefully its worth the money.

I'm using levingtons Original with this grow, it was too hot for the seedlings and some got leaf burn, they are seeming to like it a bit more as fresh growth comes through. @70% peat it isn't going to be something that pleases everyone though

@@distracted

Ok I just opened 4 bags of the original and spread it across 3 holes with 20 litres of worm compost also and some calcified seaweed, so about 70 litres a plant all in half sunken smart and rhizo pots. They should grow like the bomb and the ground the pot is sunken into is also pretty tasty and well worked so expecting them to grow like crazy. :oldtoker:

Back on topic now, the bags seemed very dense packed and it took me a while to break it up to a level I was happy with, also fair few large un-composted wood bits, not loads but more than i really wanted to see. Would take a while to fine sieve i suspect. Its also fairly heavy but had been stored outside so that may have been a factor but was not soaked or anything. I think peat is more like 80% in it.

How have you found it consistency etc and progress since your last post?

I am really liking the vitax for feel and consistency this year but it a different colour to the levington, the lev is darker brown rather than the vitax is more golden brown like erin if you ever seen that? Not sure which is better but think darker peat is perhaps more desirable but not certain....

I have no field results to work with yet and everything is based on look and feel but I think you can tell a fair bit from that. :clown::lookaround:

Edited by Elephant Face

yeah it is dense stuff but it fluffs up OK, it is rich with ferts though, I got my outdoors up to 2 1/2 ft tall without feed, gave them some fish mix just before moving them out of the growroom but maybe not needed but I planted in untreated soil

sounds like your girls will love the medium you have given them

• Like 1