My DIY Led panel

Lean_McSheen

there is a massive range in achieved lumens between production batches! An interesting read though, from a general lighting perspective, good luck with the grow :yep:

• Like 1

blue and red led growslovely bud on its own ..had to point that out cos ive done it

• Like 1

there is a massive range in achieved lumens between production batches! An interesting read though, from a general lighting perspective, good luck with the grow :yep:

Yeh, Cree Bin each batch and you can select which you want. Again, availability is an issue, the ones I have are the mid range Z2 bin.

blue and red led growslovely bud on its own ..had to point that out cos ive done it

Like i said, you can grow with them, you'll just not be able to get the plant to reach it's full potential. I've seen your grows, they are great, they are one of the reasons i looked into Leds. Your plants do well, but it may have something to do with you flashing your balls at them haha. I might have to give it a go on my next run.

Peace

• Like 3

Last run with Hps I ran Cheese (known for not being a heavy yielder) and I came in at about 0.6g/w but I had a plethora of issues, mainly heat control though. The run before that however was with bubblgummer and White Grapefruit which came in at 0.85g/w

Peace :oldtoker:

All sounds promising this time round, good luck for a trouble free run :). Oza Edited by oscar zeta acosta
  • Like 1

All sounds promising this time round, good luck for a trouble free run :). Oza

Well i've already had a couple of issues... My timer broke a couple of days ago so they had a 36hr lighting period, hopefully that will not affect them too much but i'll be on the watch for any nannas just incase. Also having slight issues with high temps at canopy level but another clip on fan should sort that (hopefully).

Also having slight issues with high temps at canopy level but another clip on fan should sort that (hopefully).

Have you inserted internal fans for the LEDS?....does that sound like a daft question? just wondering why so hot, do crees get warmer then?

• Like 1

Also having slight issues with high temps at canopy level but another clip on fan should sort that (hopefully).

Have you inserted internal fans for the LEDS?....does that sound like a daft question? just wondering why so hot, do crees get warmer then?

It's not a daft question mate. Each Led COB has it's own heatsink and fan... How it works is that Leds produce heat like any other light but if you do not draw that heat away, the COB will overheat and die (same can be said for all high power Leds). To avoid this, we attach it to a heatsink using thermal adhesive/grease which draws the heat away. You can use a larger heasink for passive cooling (no fan required) or you can use a smaller heatsink with a fan to cool it down. I use the smaller heatsinks with fans.

The thing is what you hear about power saving from Manufacturers is usually over rated... they say '80% less electricity use for the same power' etc etc, thats bullshit. These COBs are about 10% - 20% more efficient than HPS at converting electricity into light (running them at the power i do, the lower the power, the more efficient it becomes). Therefore i am running the equivalent power of a 400 hps, power wise, but because my lights are spread out and not coming from one source the heat is shared around and dissipated a bit better. So aswell as the heat being spread out and dissipating better, i'm also getting an extra 10% - 20% light

Or at least, thats what i understand... i am by no means an expert, i'm learning all the time too :smartass:

Edited by Lean_McSheen
  • Like 1

I have just got my hands on a 3000k cxa3070 in the AB bin which is classed as the most efficient version of the leds to upgrade my lights and running them with this driver LPC-60-1400. these run very efficiently and i know its not a great as a comparison but people have been getting 1.5gpw with these leds which from what i know of hps is far out of reach. This graph shows the spectrum of the cree leds and it is much better spectrum for the plants than any hps

med_gallery_78952_8430_331291.jpgmed_gallery_78952_8430_68418.jpg

• Like 1

I have just got my hands on a 3000k cxa3070 in the AB bin which is classed as the most efficient version of the leds to upgrade my lights and running them with this driver LPC-60-1400. these run very efficiently and i know its not a great as a comparison but people have been getting 1.5gpw with these leds which from what i know of hps is far out of reach. This graph shows the spectrum of the cree leds and it is much better spectrum for the plants than any hps

Oh what i would have given to be able to grab 8/9 of those! I also use the lpc-60-1400 too, even thought the driver is around 85% efficient they were easily available. Would love to know where you saw the 1.5gpw grow... i've seen a guy on another forum saying he is getting a steady 1.4gpw but he is running the cobs at half the wattage than us... i did buy some 700ma drivers from china but i had 3 or 4 of them die on me so i just plugged all of the meanwells in.

Here's a breakdown of the cxa3070 3000k AB for you (incase you haven't seen it). This isn't my research btw, it's someone else's.

CXA3070 AB chart

I'm watching this with real interest, and trying to research to help me understand

Atb mate

Research is the best thing you can do, if i could i would drop a link but i don't think it's allowed on here...

Google search LED DiY cree cxa3070 and read though the first link that pops up, tonnes of info in there

Edited by Lean_McSheen
  • Like 2

well i would certainly love to be getting a consistant 1.4gpw. I'm swapping my small tent out for a cupboard to be a little more discreet so thought i would upgrade my lighting aswell and even thinking of water cooling the cxa's as i have all the parts but the water blocks lying around so i think 5 water blocks (4x3000k & 1x5000k) screwed into a metal plate on the top of my grow cupboard should do the trick ,and i only ordered the 1 cxa3070 to see how good they are and DAMN its bright for how tiny it is and it was only £25 so shall see how much an auto likes it compared to my chinese tat ive been running and then will invest in the rest :)

• Like 1

well i would certainly love to be getting a consistant 1.4gpw. I'm swapping my small tent out for a cupboard to be a little more discreet so thought i would upgrade my lighting aswell and even thinking of water cooling the cxa's as i have all the parts but the water blocks lying around so i think 5 water blocks (4x3000k & 1x5000k) screwed into a metal plate on the top of my grow cupboard should do the trick ,and i only ordered the 1 cxa3070 to see how good they are and DAMN its bright for how tiny it is and it was only £25 so shall see how much an auto likes it compared to my chinese tat ive been running and then will invest in the rest :)

Haha, i think anyone would be happy with 1.4 gpw. But I'm not sure if we will get that running them at 1400ma. The people ive seen getting 1.4gpw are running them at 700-800ma and at 25watt per sqft, they produce more lumens per watt the less you drive them. Personally i wouldnt bother water cooling unless driving them above 1.4a. My heat sinks were cold to the touch at 700ma and they are body temperature at 1.4a (fans running at 12v). Also i wouldn't bother with the 5000k either, i vegged for a couple of weeks with 4 of the 3000k at 700ma and the nodes were really tight, just stacked one on top of the other. I definitely wouldn't advise looking at these without some form of protection, like you said, they are really bright. Where did you get it from for £25 if you don't mind me asking? That's nice and cheap for that bin, and being able to get singles is amazing. I don't think you will be disappointed with them at any rate

Peace

well it actually will work out cheaper if i am to use water blocks instead of the arctic 11 or 20 plus as they are around a tenner each and the water blocks are only a fiver each and also means i can drive them harder if i needed too without any cooling issues. I bought the led from aliexpress believe it or not, i contacted a seller who was selling some of the other cxas and asked if he can get any of the 3070s he said the ab bin of 3000k and 5000k and he sent me this picture so i thought i would take a chance on it. I was thinking 1 5000k would veg faster but if there is very little stretch then maybe i will just stick with just 3000k

post-32939-0-67993200-1416176568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Abe Froman
to remove offsite image plase use your gallery here.