LED Lighting Informed Suggestions Please

SeaView

Hi guys,

I've decided to start off small and simple, my issue is one of very limited verticle space to grow in (less than 5 foot). This makes the use of LED's much more useful as I'll be able to get closer to the canopy without burn.

Also the added risk of fire etc and it being a loft grow it will be easier to keep warm in winter than cold in summer etc...

I will be looking to grow 5 plants in this space and want to be able to grow as close to the lights as possible.

I am willing to invest a reasonable budget, idealy it would be great to spend £300 but if you have more expensive suggestions at the £500+ range do please list them.

Things have moved on in this area and would greatly appreciate your advice and whats currently best and proven on the market, Looked for a bit in this forum but couldn't find any good thread with options without it turning into a MHL vs LED debate which I'd like to avoid!

Cheers

@@mrchang our resident led expert will be along i reckon in 3........2........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................incoming

• Like 5

@@BLOCKER I did exactly that once the dhl guy looked at the parcel blatant displaying led grow light and just gave me a weird stare. Import duty and sending it back if ya need warranty makes it a no go really.

And the shipping papers all said LED grow light, not stealth at all

Edited by popalot

thanks bud, well now knowing that I would ask for discreet packaging and for the price of the units its worth it also, the things that go wrong parts can be ordered it will take longer but its worth it, bysen is where I would buy mine from

I thought led needed 2 m head height to avoid bleaching?

:wassnnme:

Thanks for the headsup, so I would need 2 metres from the LED to the canaopy with LED?

I did a bit of digging and apparently you can use or DIY a 'light spreader' also heard talk of silicon gell?

Any ways around this?

Would the bleaching be too bad or is using LED in short spaces just a bad idea?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Hi guys,

I've decided to start off small and simple, my issue is one of very limited verticle space to grow in (less than 5 foot). This makes the use of LED's much more useful as I'll be able to get closer to the canopy without burn.

Also the added risk of fire etc and it being a loft grow it will be easier to keep warm in winter than cold in summer etc...

I will be looking to grow 5 plants in this space and want to be able to grow as close to the lights as possible.

I have no experienece of LED's but my last growroom was just over 4 foot high and in an attic, every plant in my album was grown in there. I used 2 x 600 hps in cool tubes, the plants can get in really close and the light penetration was great. Just wanting to add that rather than incite an argument, but if you want to guarantee yield rather than experiment, HPS is a proven system

I doubt a chinese made panel of led's offers any fire free guarantee either

Good luck with whatever you choose :yep:

ETA I think mr chang is pulling your leg mate

Edited by distracted
  • Like 3

I have been doing some "heavy" reading on DIY LED grow lights. Some of the results look amazing with people claiming they have ditched their HPS ect and going completely led. The popular DIY led of the moment seems to be based on the Cree CXA3070

Here is the parts list for 1 light

Cree CXA3070 Z4 3000k £25
Mean Well LPC-60-1400 £30
Arctic Alpine 11 Plus £10 ish ?
Ideal Solderless COB Holder £2-£3
Ebay 12v Fan Power Supply

You would also need some heat resistant cable and I must also point out that you would be as well building 2 as the Cree's cost £12 to ship if spending below £50 but are free shipping over £50.

I still have more reading to do and I am going to be asking questions of my own such as minimum height required ect. I would also like to find a cheaper driver than the mean well as i am a tight bugger. But overall I think this angle could be quite promising.

led are not amazing you can get 1 gpw of the actual draw same as hps.. but don't be fooled by anything more that's claimed, and the light does not need to be 2 meters from canopy

Edited by BLOCKER
  • Like 1

I thought led needed 2 m head height to avoid bleaching?

:wassnnme:

An unfair wind up before I'd had my first cup of coffee ;)

Diddy

Looks like a cheap efficient way of doing it but less concerned about budget and more concerned about finding a tried and tested LED setup I can use in a tent to get me started, preferably one I can go buy for cash and bring home rather than chancing it from china on e-bay.

To many fire horror stories with HPS and more heat issues in general.

Convenience more important than yield initially.

Ta

Edited by Owderb
To remove spam invitation
  • Like 1

led are not amazing you can get 1 gpw of the actual draw same as hps.. but don't be fooled by anything more that's claimed, and the light does not need to be 2 meters from canopy

I agree too many sellers advertise stupid energy savings. From my experience truth is actual power draw watt for watt LED can do 1GPW with any traditional light or better. Another factor not mentioned often is the superior chemical properties of the finished fruit, - more TH"see" content when grown under spectrum specific LED lights.

For me personally LED was the best choice considering - head height, heat signature and fire risk

Edited by popalot