Megalithic Britain

Hughie Green

I've got a nice selection of 60's pre history books.

Gonna make sure I check what I type this time lol

I'm guessing areas in the south like Bodmin Moore were so populated after the ice age left. Most people were left south of the Severn Chanel .

There are loads of burial mounds round my ways. Very cool.

At one point you can see them line up ;)

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/art502651-archaeologists-make-once-in-a-career-discovery-of-bronze-remains-of-iron-age-celtic-chariot-at-hillfort

on a site in leicestershire on a iron age settlement they found the remains of a chariot from about 200-300 b.c.

king leir son of king baldud he is ment to be form the same era as the biblical prophet elijha.

he is ment to be buried under the river soar .

• Like 2

Awesome stuff indeed.

I had a look at some of the linksand found that there are several cairns on the mountain so what WAS a jumble of rocks where Dai got pissed one day on sherry, is now a 3,000 year old marking point :yep:

Feel a book purchase is in order.

Cheers :smokin:

Edited by Hiphip
  • Like 1

Loved the first vid, even got my mates to watch it and they said the same as me, that it was so relaxing to watch they felt stoned after watching it and they don`t smoke lol

not sure about the presenter in the series that followed, great programmes but he`s a tad annoying, shame they didn`t get Julian to do it :)

• Like 3

Good vid that Catfish, I probably share some of the reasons you are not a fan, I saw another vid about the excavation on Orkney where

they were saying it changes how we view which direction the megalithic culture spread in the UK, due to the size, complexity and age

of the Orkney site it is possible the megalithic culture spread south from Orkney and Shetland rather than from the south up, who knows

perhaps both at the same time?.

i bet them stone age contractors travelling around building all them prefab monolith were booked up till next slaughters day :jester:

it does make one wonder @@Hughie Green

its criminal how sometimes so called higher authority has destroyed what was, to protect what is .......madness .

Just as we speak Historic Scotland have given permission for a quarry to be extended that will destroy an Iron age vitrified fort,

cup and ring marked rocks on the same site have already been destroyed with their permission, what chance do we have when a body supposed to protect historic sites allows this sort of thing, fucking vandals the lot of them, sat there unmolested for thousands of years

till some greedy bastard wants it.

• Like 5

Just as we speak Historic Scotland have given permission for a quarry to be extended that will destroy an Iron age vitrified fort,

cup and ring marked rocks on the same site have already been destroyed with their permission, what chance do we have when a body supposed to protect historic sites allows this sort of thing, fucking vandals the lot of them, sat there unmolested for thousands of years

till some greedy bastard wants it.

I tried to SSSI a geological site and while English Nature fucked about the quarry company dynamited it out of existence to make a rubbish dump, it wasn't even in their quarrying so it wasn't discovered because of quarrying but rather just destroyed because of it.... got to love human progress

• Like 1

^ ''Lochan agus lochan '' ,good ring to a term for glacial lakes and hills . Glad I watched that ,thanks for posting .

I found a clam once ,a fossil rather ,but perfect clam shape .T'was in a bog about 80 km inland !

I pass queen Scotias grave sometimes ,you'd never know only there's a little sign there on a boirín road . Shame though like Hughie says when industry bulldoze extremely important places ,untounched for thousands of years . An awful shame though that folks can't see the culture around them ,It's no use writing ''Ceud/Céad Míle Fáilte'' on a village sign ,with ''Welcome''written in bold .

• Like 3