Megalithic Britain

Hughie Green

selfish reasons mannnn :no:

I should have let it crack the foundations, if it hasnt already lol shame on me

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

Fair enough lol

it`s just a poorly looking fir anyway, the trunks are 5-6 inches in diameter so not sure how long it`s been there but I don`t think it`s as old as the flats, they are about 36 yo E2a, judging by the rings it`s 17 yo

it`s in a poor position, 3 feet from the building and raised 4 feet from the ground level, it`s cracking brick wall surrounding it`s roots and moving the path, I was advised by a surveyor to remove it

Yeah, you did right. Which was there first is just a good place to start the decision making process. You're enacting the management of the lands current use. If the tree was there fist, its best to try and be inventive.

• Like 2

thanks for posting @@Hughie Green.

i love our history the man presenting gives us a clue what history is about in this country .

he says "it gives me the freedom to offer some contentious ideas without getting the sack".

i think this statement is telling and backs up what ive said about historic academia in this counrty .

Aye the recent Lidar survey and geophysical survey of the area round Stonehenge showed their ignorance of the henge in relation to the

ritual landscape, almost as if they are in denial about the sophistication of the ancient people that built these structures.

Nice one Hughie, i was aware that Julian had written a book or two on this subject but never followed it up, just watched some of the first vid and looks very interesting, will spend some time watching the rest when I have more time, got to cut a tree down outside now, not very fitting with this subject but it`s messing with my foundations :(

I'd forgotten about his book until I was reminded of it in the mufti thread

''PI'' in the sky .That's a book I think you'll be interested in Hughie . Or look at Ireland for a few hours on google earth ,you'll see thousands of ring forts and the place names are indicative of forts ,landscape of course and even churches/tombs/thimpeall/round(s)/temples .Birr or correcly spelled Biorra ,means navel and it's dead centre of the country . There's a lot of sites similar to ''Newgrange'',but that's made public . Thousands of them actually ,25'000 or so . A few months ago I saw a dolmen in a fort .Only for I was told it was there I wouldn't have known ,and not many people are aware of their surrounds .The dolmen was surrounded in briars and scrub ! I also found three stone circles adjoined ,and I reckon the represent an eclipse ,and only sheep see them !

Anyway ,I can rant all day about ring forts ,s'pi'/ra/ll or spirals . I stop up to them regularly and you get an eye for them . Up until the anglo Normans people respected forts ,tehre was no Christian churches ,or Norman keeps .Well people certainly understood their surrounds before the 1840's ,naturally there was twice the population and a stronger culture ,no hedgerows ,thereafter more lands were stolen ,standing stones and forts removed ,and farmers still remove ancient sites . Sometimes when a tomb collapses it's kept quiet and covered in .They don;'t want archaeologists digging and the church don't want folks meddling with the púca !

Cheers Silc, I will keep an eye out for that book. aye I've already had a good look at megalithic sites in Ireland with google earth, there is also an interactive map from the Irish National Monuments service to help find recorded sites and data,

I've been to loads of sites in Scotland but I'm yet to visit Ireland, probably go straight to the Boyne valley and wing it from there,

I suppose the farmers attitudes mean they are not fond of people going to sites on their land, sad they have no interest considering

people have lived there continuously for thousands of years, you would think the church would know better, if they looked into their

origins they would know un hewn stones and trees are sacred to their god.

• Like 1

Bodmin Moore is fascinating. At one point up to 2000 people could have loved there in pre history.

Standing stones are just mind boggling. The effort to erect them. And if I recall they are mainly prominent throughout the west of Europe.

Nice links btw

• Like 1

lol

If anyone else has some links to good vids on archeo-astronomy, megalithic structures, or pics of sites you have visited feel free to post them, low to medium woo is accepted since the subject is wide open for interpretation, no ley lines or ufo links allowed lol

lol

If anyone else has some links to good vids on archeo-astronomy, megalithic structures, or pics of sites you have visited feel free to post them, low to medium woo is accepted since the subject is wide open for interpretation, no ley lines or ufo links allowed lol

lol

We've had a copy of "A guide to ancient sites in Britain" in the car for the last 20 years, managed to mop up a good few over the years. never taken a photo though.

New Grange in County Meath, Ireland is my favourite so far, not sure why as it, as it's also a lesson in how controvesial archaeology reconstuctions can be. But the whole is real regardless of how it is reconstructured now

• Like 3

Bodmin Moore is fascinating. At one point up to 2000 people could have loved there in pre history.

Standing stones are just mind boggling. The effort to erect them. And if I recall they are mainly prominent throughout the west of Europe.

Nice links btw

It's a doddle according to Wally Wallington

• Like 4

a small to medium crew travelling around the country/europe building buildings to order .

were the ancient builders the first contractors ~?

Edited by catfish
  • Like 2

Fair enough lol

it`s just a poorly looking fir anyway, the trunks are 5-6 inches in diameter so not sure how long it`s been there but I don`t think it`s as old as the flats, they are about 36 yo E2a, judging by the rings it`s 17 yo

it`s in a poor position, 3 feet from the building and raised 4 feet from the ground level, it`s cracking brick wall surrounding it`s roots and moving the path, I was advised by a surveyor to remove it

it'll be a fucking leylandii, away with it!

Edited by Ishmael
  • Like 3

Going to bed, will comment tomorrow but for now...

2862310_f6dacc26.jpg

Julian says it's a big hampton and I have to concur.

@@Hughie Green Thank you for posting those vids I will watch them with joy. I have the book and it is a marvel, walking the line between archaeology and mysticism without doing injustice to either, it is a work of love and I recommend it to all. If nothing else it will get you out and about in some lovely remote places. Take a picnic and a pipe :)

• Like 3

lol

We've had a copy of "A guide to ancient sites in Britain" in the car for the last 20 years, managed to mop up a good few over the years. never taken a photo though.

New Grange in County Meath, Ireland is my favourite so far, not sure why as it, as it's also a lesson in how controvesial archaeology reconstuctions can be. But the whole is real regardless of how it is reconstructured now

I've been to Newgrange and the forts surrounding . What really fascinates me is the three types of stone from three different locations and no plausible explanation for transporting the stones .

@@Hughie ,most farmers won't mind anyone wondering in ,especially if they see you with a camera and approaching the fort .

I sometimes look on google earth and find some aligned . Lately a fell told me where a fort once was ,removed in the 60's and sure enough whhen I looked on the map you could see the scar in the tilled field where the ring was up until 50 years ago . Anyway it was a link . I also saw three in a triangle ,maybe 2 km apart . I thought it looked cool and showed a local to that area straight away ,lucky he was there beside me . He had a look and he was telling me a tomb collapsed a few years ago . He pointed it out and it made a diamond of the three ring forts I was looking at . OSI maps are good too . What is unfortunate also is forestry . Looking for plots I've seen old maps with earthen mounds /forts and they'd still be there in 2005/06 ie ,but on a recent image you'll find spruce planted in lines and straight through the rings . Whitethorn is a good indicator ,so a May image will sometimes show a ring of wite . One theory is that people had cattle and planted inside the fort ,some forts have a double ring .The whitethorn is a natural fence and for mí na Bealtaine /the month of may they may have given the weeds and grass a chance to grow and ration the cattle . Cattle were 1/2 the size mind .

So those thorn are the same torn reseeding for a few thousand years .

Anyway . I have some images of forts and stones in my gallery ,more in me laptop . I was thinking of making a collection ,and trying for all the forts in Fermanagh ,for example .That'd take a long time ,a lifetime maybe !

The size and width of some forts is determined by the swing of a pendulum from the centre . It gauged the depth of the well below ,and the direction ,clockwise or anti-clockwise gave the direction of flow . Divining .So they're not all the same . Most are like Newgrange ,just look at every place name in Ireland and other parts of Europe similar ,and Britain .; Athlone is a bastardised naem ,probably renamed in 1840's ,but it's moon fort maaan ! Áth Luain . :alien2:

• Like 6