Alien RDWC Setup and Testing

SKELE-TORO

Sorry for your troubles mate, you still got some time to go, so hopefully they will start to pack it on..

Does look like overfeed/heat. The first thing that jumped out from the photos, was re-vegging...

Hope they come good for you :yinyang:

• Like 1

I wanted to get the most out of them so had them on max.

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. Plants need nurturing not forcing no matter what nutrient or system

Owd

• Like 1

they don't look right for week 7 flower mine look more developed at day 28 than that. I doubt cold water temps could do that unless you are literally giving them freezing water

could be shitty genetics.. what strains are they?

take some lights off pics so we can get a better idea of the colours of the leaves

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 1

Are the plants getting enough light penetrating to the lower bud sites as looks very dense.

Should have fill out more of the net with less branches at the start.

Growth looks crazy good.

• Like 1

reading back you were feeding 1.6ec at week 1 of flower? that's not good at all should be no more than 1.2-3

• Like 1

Plants vary massively between strains, some can take that kind of E.C others can't. I regularly finish at 1.6 ec in coir, which is much more forgiving than dwc. Less is definetely more with cannabis, if the plant hasn't got the facility to take that kind of nutrient it'll store excess - tip burn is just when there's so much salt it draws moisture out of the plant back into the medium, the charred brown but that's left on the tip of your plants leaves is salt. You're not going to have that problem in DWC IMO, there's too much water. So it manifests itself as above.

Hi Golden Syrup.

I get you here mate, whats your suggesting makes perfect sense to me now... the way you describe the tip burn makes me think your right here.

Thanks a lot for that.

you should check out the guide to building and operating bubblers in the hydro forum.

Hi magic_shroomer. Nothing compares to actually learning 'on the job' though.

the guy knows his stuff page 2 he describes how to feed, verry low ec he doesnt go above 0.6. i followed his plans and kept a mum in a home made bubbler at low ec and was amazed at the results

0.6 seems very low? I will give that a read anyway mate, thanks for the input buddy.

Gutted for you pal.learning curve and all that. Buy sure lots off potential for the future. Good luck in finishing them

Yep... a very harsh one but still. Will put all this new knowledge to good use. better luck next time.

Hey buddy, im sorry to see your having problems... I like you would suspect it being due to extremely low temps at lights off too and even with lights on under that dense canopy.

My ones in coco had very much stunted too as temps under the canopy had dropped to 16oC at night time.

But i wont have to worry about that once a get my Alien rig setup as the water will be heated and chilled to keep the roots at the prefect temps.

Simple things that get overlooked often cause the biggest problems.

Yo BoomTing! you good bro? Yes mate I agree.. Those fluctuating low temps can't have been good for them at all, and it's certainly the thing I overlooked the most.. Its the reason the plants wouldn't jump in at the start for sure, we all saw the results after the ice went... Yep got my heater now I have to get my chiller.

Sorry for your troubles mate, you still got some time to go, so hopefully they will start to pack it on..

Does look like overfeed/heat. The first thing that jumped out from the photos, was re-vegging...

Hope they come good for you :yinyang:

Thanks superx, I let my guard down, they were going so well I thought I had nothing to worry about.. then bang or no bang to be precise.

It's funny you mention revegging, (although I don't see it on the big girls) I do have a blueberry and a C99 and an Afgooey mother... recently the C99 and the BB have started flowering in my mother drobe??? they are on 24 hr light so that could be the problem.. but I'm a bit worried to use them now if they are unstable?

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. Plants need nurturing not forcing no matter what nutrient or system

Owd

Hi Owd.

I'm used to soil and coco, and also used to seeing obvious signs of overfeeding, but these girls looked like they were doing fine and handling it well, until about a week ago.

Like it's been said.. learning curve and that. I will defiantly try to run with the 'less is more idea' next time.

Thanks for the heads up.

they don't look right for week 7 flower mine look more developed at day 28 than that. I doubt cold water temps could do that unless you are literally giving them freezing water

could be shitty genetics.. what strains are they?

take some lights off pics so we can get a better idea of the colours of the leaves

Hey Spaniard.

No. they don't... that's because they're fucked lol

Have a look back at week 2, they were going well then .. no worries. The water probs didn't ever go below 10C so defo will have slowed them down... but not to that extent surly !?

It was Afgooey from Strain Hunters.

I would like to have used a famous well tested cut, but I'm stuck out here.

The strain could certainly be shitty, that's another factor, she wasn't tested before hand, she really kicked out a lot of leaf but she looked like she would fill out though?

def should have got more weight.

Are the plants getting enough light penetrating to the lower bud sites as looks very dense.

Should have fill out more of the net with less branches at the start.

Growth looks crazy good.

Hi marcjuna mate... Growth was seriously fast! I picked out plenty of fan leaves over the course, so the canopy gets more light.. thats not really an issue here I don't think.

reading back you were feeding 1.6ec at week 1 of flower? that's not good at all should be no more than 1.2-3

Like I mentioned before, I was expecting to see some instant sign of overfert after having them too high, but it appears that this is not the case in hydro.

To me it seems like the plant has taken in excess N and locked out other stuff, hence the leafy appearance, over greeness this week, and lack of swell in flower.

• Like 1

It's all one big learning curve - look at the plants you've produced "wrong" they're still looking pretty beaut to me. Apply the lessons you've learned on your next crop and I bet it'll be smiles come harvest time (:

• Like 1

What do you put it down to mucker?

Well... I was sure it was the cold temps at first to be honest... EVERYTHING ELSE WAS RIGHT!

As I said before I have had a real close eye on the girls throughout, and been looking closely at the foliage for obvious instant signs of overfert on the girls, such as tip clawing and burning as they have been growing, they seemed to be handling it just fine, until last week when they started darkening somewhat. so didn't assume it was over-fertilization initially.

Golden Syrups explanation makes a lot of sense to me, and explains a lot why there has been no burn as such... I have never seen this explained anywhere but seems correct.

The fluctuating res temps defo don't help. I had got myself so worried over Pythium contamination that I was concentrating to much on cooling the water, when in fact it needed raising a touch.

So all in all... I reckon a combination of unstable water temps and overfert as has been suggested.

The thing is I have visibly watched them feeding all the way, it just appears to me they have been stripping the N out of the res and not taking in so much P&K, as the E.C has been dropping, and the buds grow, but they didn't fill out.

I'm also unsure of the strain but judging by the growth I expected good sized harvest.

DJ Short's Blueberry / C99 / Afgooey

Not sure what to go with next time... but I have to start getting it ready soon.

Edited by SKELE-TORO

Have you asked the Guys at Alien for their opinion? They should be giving you good support, after all, it's their system you're advertising for free!

Edited by teehee
  • Like 1

Ive seen a few runs with this system go to pot.Clearly your not a beginner,but having probs.No wonder he's having trouble selling this kit.

Ive seen a few superb runs with these systems but it seems very unforgiving.I need decent weed and plenty of it we munch a fair bit here 3 runs a year at 30 oz just keep us going.With left overs sometimes.Ive seen crazy results with this shit but i can't help loving the simplicity of coco.

Have you asked the Guys at Alien for their opinion? They should be giving you good support, after all, it's their system you're advertising for free!

Well to be fair to them yes. They advised me at the start to keep res temp at 18C, use a chiller, and not to go above 1.6

I took this a precautionary advise and went by the look of the girls instead. as they seemed healthy I carried on.

But you can see I didn't sway too far off 1.6 you know ?

It's certainly to far to make any drastic changes now i think.

The canna gods are def not shining upon me this year again... my lumatek ballast just blew a 4th bulb so that has a serious issue with it also...

FFS when do I get a break?!

Ive seen a few runs with this system go to pot.Clearly your not a beginner,but having probs.No wonder he's having trouble selling this kit.

Ive seen a few superb runs with these systems but it seems very unforgiving.I need decent weed and plenty of it we munch a fair bit here 3 runs a year at 30 oz just keep us going.With left overs sometimes.Ive seen crazy results with this shit but i can't help loving the simplicity of coco.

It's not the system mate :) haha why is this kit gonna be any less forgiving than a bubbler, NFT or DWC for instance?

Full hydro is always gonna be less forgiving than COCO, they have direct access to feed at all times... the kit has nothing to do with it IMO.

The real fact is... I don't know what I'm doing in full hydro, I thought I could read the plants the same as in coco or soil, but it's different I suppose?

This was my first ever try.. I varied the advise given to me and now I'm paying for it.

If I manage to dial everthing in right, which I will next time! This kit will blow any coco comparison out of the "water" :sly:

I'm done lugging huge bags of coco from the shop looking bait as fuck.

Edited by SKELE-TORO
  • Like 1

I for one ain't knocking the Alien kit, I know that once dialled in (and that's why you named this thread 'set up and testing'), you're gonna be knocking out huge harvests.

When i was using a 60L DWC bubbler, I had it on foam to prevent vibration, but that probably insulated the nutrient as well, making it easier to control with a chiller....

Once you have control of EVERY single parameter, you'll be there, and you are almost sorted Bro, so keep at it! You gotta be like God (or China) and have total control over the weather.

Regarding the bulb issue.... have you run over a black cat or sommat?

Edited by teehee

Thanks for the kind encouraging words mate... I know... seems like I must have run over a Panther or some shit with my luck!?
Anyone who knocks the RDWC kit has absolutely no idea. I for one can't fault it.. If there's any problem running it? it's the operator.

Yeah seriously though, there has to be something wrong with the wiring in the ballast.. it's the 4th bulb replacement and its only the left side that goes every time.
It seems as if its forcing more than 600W through and frying the bub each time. I've contacted Lumatek for a replacement. No word back yet.... It still should be in warranty.

Edited by SKELE-TORO
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind encouraging words mate... I know... seems like I must have run over a Panther or some shit with my luck!?

Anyone who knocks the kit has absolutely no idea. I for one can't fault it.. If there's any problem running it? it's the operator.

Yeah seriously though, there has to be something wrong with the wiring in the ballast.. it's the 4th bulb replacement and its only the left side that goes every time.

It seems as if its forcing more than 600W through and frying the bub each time. I've contacted Lumatek for a replacement. No word back yet.... It still should be in warranty.

If I had to complain about the Alien system I would say the following are wrong with it across both the F&D and DWC Systems:

The green pipe lets light through.

The pots/fittings aren't very strong and break easily - especially the fittings always be careful when pulling the system apart or you're going to have a bad time.

The timer probe thing on the F&D is temperamental - although when you drop on one that works they're shit hot.

re your lamp have you got it on boost setting?

Edited by Golden Syrup