Is it possible to live a full life without trying psychoactives ?

MaxTrichomes

This entered my bonce today. I am not sure it is. Maybe it could be a case of what you don't know does not bother you. But I cannot help but feel that a researched, careful, considered and measured use of "soft" substances (whether the effect are judged as good or bad or a mixture of both) has a positive benefit to the human mind. I guess my thoughts have a bias towards, herb shrooms and acid, maybe other "ethnobotanicals" such as Salvia Divinorum etc. (I mean traditional uses not smoking it like the teens on Youtube.

I am pretty much convinced that my mind and experiences in life have been enriched and whilst we can all have our moments in life or hardship etc. feel I am better mentally positioned than many other people who are straight and fairly conservative in mind set. Of course it is more complex than a simplistic view of take some "soft" drugs and be enlightened. Our personal relationships and experiences through our life shape our world view as much as anything but I still feel that various substances have brough a lot to my philosophical and daily views on life.

I also find it quite strange that the blankett conservative view is that people are wreckless and incapable of making sensible judgements when it comes to use of substances. Of course some people cannot make good judgements and it is arguable that they may need help

on such matters.

Interested in hearing your views.

• Like 3

Whilst reading this I couldn't help but think of Terence McKenna's 'Stoned ape theory', maybe because I certainly feel like I've 'evolved' mentally after experiences with hallucinogens.
Of course I have no evidence to back my claim up but on it's something I believe.

Now if this was true, why don't so many of these 'teens' seem like they have matured on a conscious level and continue to take these substances as a recreational tool for "getting f**ked up"?

I don't know.

• Like 5

I would suggest that context of use forms the benefits or negatives of the experiences to some degree. if you are taking it because your research of lack thereof has lead to to think it's only for getting fucked up on then you will get exactly that from it. however if you approach from a perspective that there may be spiritual. psychological, existential and empathetic benefits then it is likely that you will be able to guide it in that way. Of course exact interation is somewhat unpredictable for each individual but given intelligent research it could bear fruit.

If people want to merely get fucked up it suggest their use may be for aneasthetic reasons, which may simply cover underlying causes of depression or dissatisfaction with life. It's complex I guess. I think responsible use requires a certain level of maturity and intelligence.

• Like 8

Guest MangoMunchinMonkey

Thing about trying substances is, I always wonder, once you cross that line, is there any way of going back...

Is it possible to live a full life without trying psychoactives ?

Define what is a full life? :unsure:

Thing about trying substances is, I always wonder, once you cross that line, is there any way of going back...

Back to where? From where do you think you came from?

If it's normality then define that for us? :clown:

Individual conceptions of a full life. I doubt one will be the same as another.

Good post :) The courses I'm currently studying are opening a whole new world of theories and reflection on this subject. Personally I've found my own experiences mostly positive, but then I think that's more to do with recognising what substances don't do it for me and trying to avoid them. I think for some people it's harder to control and can lead to so called addictive behaviors.

With regards to Cannabis, LSD and Psilocybin mushrooms which have been consumed a very large number of people since the 1960's the evidence suggests that for the vast majority of people do ont have enduring mental disturbance and in the vast majority of cases seem to report experiences which they are very happy to have had and seem to have enriched their life. Of course we cannot guarantee anything, you cannot guarantee you won't get knocked over killed or end up in a wheelchair by a wreckless drver tomorrow because you went for a walk down to the high road. or that any new drug such as a anti depressive will not have a catalogue of negative consequences from it's use.

I am not inciting people to use recreational drugs in any way whatsoever. I am merely asking if it is possible to have a full spectrum of lifes experiences having not tried them ? opinions from those who have not tried them and those who have welcome.Not everyone has a socially stable network of friends, relatives and so called normal stability in life and such substances are obviously not recommended for those individuals + those with any predisposition to mental illness etc.

I am sure there are thousands of people who have neve tried any psychoactive substances who are more than satisfied and happy with life. But I personally can see some longing in those who have not. Of course there can be many and multiple reasons for dissatisfaction, a few big ones being occupation, relationships status and health. So I guess it is a somewhat luxurious question to ask on some levels.

Myself I feel that substances always give and take and that careful and moderate use based on your own personal feelings and responses is the right way to go. I have 5-6 months of the ganja cuse I was experiencing severe panic attacks, that killed the pleasurable aspects dead. A lot of the take is relative to habitual usage patterns which often are the start of problems. Occasional use keeps things fresh and allows reflection and formulation of persepctive relative to being in a normal state of consciousness, here resides the ability to make good judgements. For me that is very important in determining what represents an optimal amount of herb usage is for example. I guess for some that is not easy and that some have less will power than others or feel the need to cover up their feelings more than others depending on their own life circumstances,

No one has to neck 50-80 mushrooms to find out if they like them or hate them... or a full acid tab or smoke a huge neat 24pct THC spliff to then whitey for 6 hours.

You can go very slow which is very sensible... 5-10 mushrooms why always 50 or 100 ! ? or 1/4 acid tab or 1 puff of a weak spliff. I have never understood the bravado and foolishness of taking what is supposedly a full dose of anything without knowing how you react, especially the first time. Surely this is common sense harm reduction. Maybe you need to be a bit older to have this level headed approach ?

Much in the same way that a 17 y.o. will only find out how fast you can corner in the wet by hitting the tree.

Edited by MaxTrichomes

I kinda think that experience is a good thing. If someone wants to write off a whole avenue of experience because it's 'drugs' then they are limiting themselves. The very concept of 'drugs' as a bad thing is very new in terms of human history. It's a controversial view by in my opinion 'drugs' - ie plant and fungus psychedelics played an important role in human development, especially in language, art, philosophy and religion. But they need to be taken in the right context (as you have mentioned - if you just take them to get off your tits, as a recreational thing then I don't think you'll learn much, but I'm not even writing that off, I know a lot of people who have only taken E - back when E was E, and even as a recreational thing, a club drug, I think a lot of them learned something from the experiences). I'm glad I did my years taking acid and shrooms and smoking a lot of herb, I think it totally changed my personality. It made me more philosophical, made me think more, made me less materialistic. Made me, in my opinion, a better person. But there is no going back, you can't be the person you were before you did serious hallucinogens (but why would you want to be ? :unsure:).

• Like 5

I think the modern 'western' drugs - alcohol, speed, cocaine (including crack) and heroin (I know some of them are not originally drugs of the west, I mean the drugs that are most popular in the west) have no transcendent dimension to them. They teach nothing. But they also require nothing (apart from physical dependence). They are pure recreation, pleasure without having to invest any effort. The older drugs - the hallucinogens - require some effort. They are not easy drugs to take, you face the possibility of a bad trip, there is risk involved. Nowadays people want a free ride with their drugs. No risk, just pleasure that you don't have to pay for at the time (you pay for it later, with addiction). I think the less immediate risk a drug has (the risk of a bad trip) means the more long-term risk (the risk of addiction). Knowledge doesn't come without a price, and nor does pleasure (in drug terms), and if that price isn't the immediate risk, if the drug appears to offer pleasure without price you can be damn sure there is a price to pay later, if you abuse them.

E2A And I know I'm being a hypocrite, I'm an alcoholic who has abused most drugs. It's kinda do what I say, not what I do :doh: But it is offering the benefit of my experience :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 10