ideas for activism

soto

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a very effective idea - Boycott Intercontinental Hotel Group for bringing legal action against the state of Colorado in US Federal court to stop weed sales.

Hows that for some activism?! Durty fuckers they are.

We did our part here in MerryCah and got 5 states legal, now wot's up with this Brit company coming over here and fucking with our parade?????

Here's the article. Huffingtonpost has the original if you want the link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the nation's largest marijuana policy reform groups is calling for a nationwide boycott of Holiday Inn after a hotel management company that owns a Holiday Inn in Colorado filed a federal lawsuit Thursday aiming to shut down the state's legal and regulated marijuana program.

Marijuana Policy Project urged a boycott of the hotel brand after New Vision Hotels Two, LLC filed a lawsuit claiming that they have already lost business at their Holiday Inn location in Frisco, Colorado, and fear that the brand could be damaged due to a nearby state-legal retail marijuana shop and grow operation that hasn't opened yet.

In the suit, New Vision claims that some hotel guests are opting out of lodging at the Frisco Holiday Inn location because of a proposed nearby marijuana shop, and that guests are concerned about potential crime that the new shop could bring with it. The suit argues that under the U.S. Constitution's supremacy clause, which states that federal law generally takes precedence over state law, Colorado's regulation of recreational marijuana is unconstitutional, because marijuana remains illegal at the federal level.

“A majority of Americans want to end marijuana prohibition, and we expect many of them would prefer not to spend their money at businesses that are fighting to maintain it," Mason Tvert, communications director for MPP, said. "We’re encouraging everyone who agrees marijuana should be legal for adults to think twice before spending their holidays at a Holiday Inn. If they won’t accept marijuana businesses, we shouldn’t give them our business."

On Friday morning, MPP called for the boycott in an email newsletter sent to about 200,000 subscribers, as well as on its Facebook and Twitter pages. MPP also launched a Change.org petition calling on New Vision Hotels Two to withdraw its lawsuit and urged Holiday Inn's parent company, InterContinental Hotels Group, to support a withdrawal of the suit. At the time of publishing, the petition had already received close to 5,000 signatures.

"The lawsuit undermines a set of laws and regulations that were designed to make Colorado communities safer by ensuring quality-controlled marijuana is produced and sold by licensed, taxpaying businesses instead of drug cartels and criminals," the Change.org petition reads.

Colorado voters strongly approved Amendment 64, which legalized recreational marijuana in the state, in 2012, and the first retail marijuana shops opened their doors on Jan. 1, 2014. Though the industry has undergone some trial and error since then and there have been some worrying episodes -- largely about the regulation of edible products -- a July 2014 report from the Brookings Institution concluded that the rollout of the new marijuana laws has been largely successful thus far.

Colorado's marijuana industry has ballooned to a value of around $700 million and the state has taken in about $60 million in taxes and fees, some of which is going toward school construction and renovation.

Today, more than a year since sales began, Colorado voters still don't appear to regret ending prohibition of the drug.

"IHG, owner of the Holiday Inn brand, holds the comfort and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern," said Jordan Worrall, communications manager for InterContinental Hotels Group's Holiday Inn brands, to The Huffington Post on Friday. "IHG-branded hotels are required to comply with their license agreement and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, and codes. The Holiday Inn Frisco, Colorado, hotel is an independently owned and operated hotel and the owners are free to express their views. We cannot comment on ongoing litigation involving a franchised property."

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

plant a seed and save the nation, and by seed I mean thousands of regulars, we need cannabis to populate the country more than the stinging nettle does. would they our spend money on a "cannabis kill squad" , yes, only to see the fuckers grow back next year, four times as numbered. populate the country side with sativa, indica and ruderalis . what are they goverment gonna do, apart from make people realize how stupid the cannabis laws are.

• Like 1

plant a seed and save the nation, and by seed I mean thousands of regulars, we need cannabis to populate the country more than the stinging nettle does. would they our spend money on a "cannabis kill squad" , yes, only to see the fuckers grow back next year, four times as numbered. populate the country side with sativa, indica and ruderalis . what are they goverment gonna do, apart from make people realize how stupid the cannabis laws are.

Oh yeah, I can just imagine all that pollen floating around fucking up other people's grows lol

Could you not make a batch of vol-eu-vents and pass them around instead? I quite like the mushroom ones.

• Like 4

lol if there were that many plats around, all you would have to do is learn the time of year to go picking, like with mushrooms, but for cannabis, I do see your point, back to the drawing boar for me lol

• 4 months later...

Bump!

I posted on another thread somewhere following the governments anti democratic and cowardly response to the the recent petition to lagalise cannabis. My view is that it is now time to gather, educate and protest in an organised fashion on a regualr basis. This would entail first of all a monthly gathering at 4:20pm on the first Saturday of every month in each cities major park to educate the public about he lunacy and destructiveness of the governments stance. People could arrive, smoke, vape talk, talk to the public, maintain and promote being peaceful, united and strong and if arrested, will add to the polices weekly nightmare that is alcohol consumption on a Saturday night. Whilst spewing and carrying on in the cells, the drunk folk will be starkly contrasted by the peaceful cannabis consumer who can - without comment, if needs be, gradually emphasise the point within the police forces of the nation that things are the wrong way about. The police have already stated that they are stretched to the limit and so may turn a blind eye to the park goers in the first place. After a few months, the gatherings could become weekly and then even daily ie gradually introducing normalisation to the public and to the police. If the government won't listen to the people then the people must make the change themselves.

• Like 2

most of the organised park gatherings barely attract enough people to fill the swings, and they are organised months in advance

you won't "legalize" cannabis by taking over kiddies playgrounds lol

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 2

The police wouldn't go after the piss heads - they scare them too much. Instead they'd simply target the smokers as they would offer the least line of resistance. Low hanging fruit and all that.

What's needed is a PR machine which pumps out daily pro-weed propaganda to all the newspapers. That's what the government do with their ant-weed propaganda. It's quite evident in the Daily Mail which appears to run negative stories on an almost daily basis. Where are those negative stories coming from? Whitehall I'd say.

Fight them with their own machines.

• Like 3

Guest Theokoles

We need mascots a couple of costumes side by side, one dressed up as a can of beer with ripped spew covered clothing and a big red X across it, and in contrast a peaceful green flower costume with appropriate logo :)

The problem with protest is largely that people like myself are unable to "come out". I would love to attend events and make a meaningful contribution but I can't. I hold a very senior job in a high profile organisation, if my cannabis use were made public then I would instantly lose my job and my career and therefore family life over in an instant. Whats the alternative? I continue as I have done for the last 25 yrs. I still get top quality flowers and concentrates and will eventually be self sufficient, at that point and on a personal level the legality is irrelevant but I would dearly love to see it decriminalised, regulated and on public sale with the ability to gather socially in public to consume with like minded individuals.

That is the catch 22 and sadly it ain't going to change, there are many many more in exactly the same position as me.

• Like 6

The problem with protest is the government will completely ignore it, care to name a single issue the government has changed it's mind on due to public pressure?, as often pointed out over a million people marched against the illegal wars and the government ignored them,

they will do sweet fuck all for people it regards as criminals,

another thing where do people get the idea that the government/establishment that can lie and hide the figures of how many have died while participating in the welfare reform are going to stop being evil cunts for our benefit?

cannabis activism is completely fucking irrelevant when the governments policies are killing people, there are bigger and more pressing problems than cannabis.

• Like 6

Many police forces run regular meetings to gauge public opinion as to what their local priorities should be and any concerns residents may have. For those of us who don't grow, attending such meetings is a no brainer but can understand why someone who does would stay clear of them.

That said they are a good opportunity to change things in my opinion. Police will direct extra resources into an area if the local community feel there's a problem with drug use.

There is something very unethical about the police targetting resources toward poor communities because of some percieved threat whilst leaving the wealthy ones alone. This narrative of drugs being a threat to poor communities needs to change. Were it to would be a big sign of progress in my opinion.

Seems I opened somewhat of a can of worms by reviving this thread. I appreciate you're better informed situation @@Joolz although felt the ridicule wasn't called for given the one cause we are discussing. Respect all the same though. My situation is similar to you hashmaker6. What choice do we have though under this regime? Anyone any better ideas. I can't see them printing sclerosis livers and those who've choked on their own vomit on a 4 pack of Stella Artois any time soon! Let's all start posting our fucking trim to no.10 then.... On mass!

• Like 3