Shed Grow In Winter..

Puz

i've kept my mother in the garage for the past two years with no real problems. it's in an aquafarm bubble lift with solution heating. the growth is fairly compact when the temps are low but plenty big enough for cuttings and i know we haven't had any significant frost recently but i believe that the plant would flower effectively if asked to. after all, indica is a high altitude plant that can tolerate a certain amount of frost.

i wouldn't bother with any other heating except the root area. you might improve things by heating the room but chances are you won't significantly affect anything. it's always good to experiment though.

edit:

Missus deals with all the bills, been shitting myself for a few months now
Point out how much you are saving by not buying it. work out how much your alcohol bill is for the month if you are not smoking. health, concerns for the planet. it worked for me Edited by tony2wheelsgood

Just to add a bit regards heating the shed grow room, i use my shed for vegging, and i found that having the inlet cold air running over the heater kept making it switch on, obviously the thermostat is switching the heater on when the room falls to a certain temp, and having cold air blowing continiously on your heater gives the thermostat a false reading. Costs where sky high, I switched the configuration so that the intake was being carried up through the lights, therefore cooling the bulbs as well as warming the air, i just have my heater sat in a corner and it keeps the room at an even temp, if the air does turn a bit colder then the heater is reading the room temp and not air temp :yep: Well it makes sense in my head :beer:

Thanks for all the replys folks ..

I've added another box to my shed today its about 18" by 36" by 36" high. I've put an oil rad in there (0.5kw) and have a vent at the top of this box which feeds onto the intlet on the growroom. I've cut approx 15 1" holes in the bottom of this box in the hope that air will be sucked in over the heater and into the GR.

I've got two problems though.... as Sid said it looks like the heater is gonna stay on 24/7 (although it is down to 0 degrees out there already tonight). I'm worried about a monster electricity bill comin through ! :guitar:

The other prob is that even though its all on and the GR's all turned on the temp is stayin pretty constant at about 64 degrees : is this to cold ?

:guitar: Thanks again.... Puz

I also grow in the shed 3 x 6 x 7" high at the apex of shed. I have an enclosed flat tank which just about covers the floor apart from a gap at each end which holds my water supply about 100 litres and I keep that at 25C. I sit 3 plants in 25 litre pots (biobizz allmix) on top of the tank which insulates them against the cold floor. I have used 25mm thick expanded polystyrene in between the bracing on the walls and roof of the shed and covered that with white black white total block out plastic sheet. This helps insulate and stop light leaks, good for security as well. I have a 100 RKV extractor + carbon filter pulling air at the top of the grow room, with the air inlets on the floor at each end of the grow room. Over the air inlets I have positioned heater tubes which heat the air as it comes into the grow room. The heater tubes react quickly and have no residual heat and controls the temp better than oil filled rads I found. The room stays at about 65 to 70 C with the lights off and 75 with the lights on, a room thermostat controls the heater tubes in case the room gets too hot. The tubes use about 240 watts but controls the temp even in the cold times. I have also attached a fan speed controller for when the temps really drop or get too hot to try and balance the options.

I hope this helps

Om

Edited by Organicman

I've got two problems though.... as Sid said it looks like the heater is gonna stay on 24/7 (although it is down to 0 degrees out there already tonight). I'm worried about a monster electricity bill comin through !  :spliff:

278811[/snapback]

Hasn't the radiator got a thermostat? Or can you plug the radiator into one of those plug/thermostat units from Argos? In my garage my radiator switches on and off frequently, it's not on all the time.

heater tubes which heat the air as it comes into the grow room. The heater tubes react quickly and have no residual heat and controls the temp better than oil filled rads I found.

278824[/snapback]

Have you any more information on the heater tubes and were to get them?

Hi Organicman,

those tubes sound just the ticket mate... do you know where they might be available ? :smoke:

Binary.. : its got a thermostat on it mate, just seems that because the intake of the GR is pulling air in 24/7 the "heat box" never has chance to stabalize at a given temp... therefore it stays on all the time.

The other point i should mention here is that the shed has a dog flap ( a hole) cut in one of the walls as there is a kennel in there to - this means its pretty much the same temp in the shed as it is outside. lol

In other words, at this time of year its bloody freeeeeezzing ! :smug:

Puz.. :yinyang:

Just taken a look back through this thread and would say that the oil rad i bought is the same as the one Binary pictured but without the timer...24.99 b&q.

Edited by Puz

Is the shed connected to the house or close to it? If so why not plumb a rad into the house system its a one off expense. Definetely swap inlet outlet fans. Or you could connect a hose pipe to a rad supply pipe using those easy fit washing machine taps then you could wrap the hose as and where you want it?

:yinyang:

Is the shed connected to the house or close to it? If so why not plumb a rad into the house system its a one off expense. Definetely swap inlet outlet fans. Or you could connect a hose pipe to a rad supply pipe using those easy fit washing machine taps then you could wrap the hose as and where you want it

Nice idea sibs but its quite a distance fromt the house (prob about 100ft). Suppose i could get a new GF, a new house or just put up with the higher eleccy bill.... emm cheapest option ... elceccy bill i think.. :yinyang:

Cheers Raz, i've got a fan controller on there mate, have tried it a various speeds and the temp seems to stay at arounr 63-65 degrees in the GR even with lights out..

:smoke: Puz..

Heat tubes are available through electrical wholesalers (probably other places to, but this is where I get mine).

They come in foot lengths, ie 1 foot long up to 6 foot long and are about 2 inch diameter. I think from memory that the smallest 1 foot ones are 60w. They come with the mounting brackets and you can also get wire guards for safety.

I've used them in various grows with good results.

Hope this helps.

Hi Organicman,

those tubes sound just the ticket mate... do you know where they might be available ?  lol

Hi Puz the link for the heater tubes is click here. They are cheap and easy to fit you just have to wire in a room thermostat to control the heat. They use them a lot in green houses.

The other point i should mention here is that the shed has a dog flap ( a hole) cut in one of the walls as there is a kennel in there to - this means its pretty much the same temp in the shed as it is  outside. :blub:

In other words, at this time of year its bloody freeeeeezzing ! :santa:

Why don't you just section off part of the shed you want to use that way you can keep it secure from light, heat changes like dog flaps and prying eyes. My shed is 9 foot long but when you walk in its only 6 foot deep, 3 foot of the back is a grow room. A bit like Dr Who's tardis but the other way around. I could also properly insulate it, I just have a small opening large enough to get through etc. Seems to work ok, my mate came in while I was working in the shed he never sussed a thing. No smell or noise, I disguised the opening as best as I could. Past the acid test so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Om