Shed Grow In Winter..

Puz

Hi all,

well i'm hoping to get another grow on the go soon and am just mulling over a few ideas on getting the temps up to a reasonable level in the shed.

My growroom is 3ft*3ft* 5ft high. The inlet fan pulls air directly through the shed wall and the outlet fan pumps out into the shed. I am worried that as its winter i'm going to be pullin really cold air in and harming the plants.

I have a 1kw fan heater in there with a thermostat which worked great in the summer for maintaining a steady 70-75 temp. I dont think this would be able to cope with cold air blasting in 24/7... cost a bomb to run to. I've got a couple of ideas which may work ut could do with some more opinions really... :blub:

.1. Get a small flat panel oil rad that could sit directly in front of the inlet fan...just a bit worried that with a constant blast of air on it, it might not be able to cope...

.2. Reverse the inlet and outlet so that air is being pulled into the GR from the shed and have a greenhouse parraffin burner running 24/7 in the shed to try and get the temps up a bit in there ?

Any thoughts and opinion most welcome... i really wanna try and get a grow on the go before xmas :smoke:

Thanks to all.

Puz :unsure:

Oh.. and the growroom is not moveable, its sort of melded into the construction of the shed.. :)

Just a couple of thoughts m8 although I think you may be fighting an up hill struggle.

I would advise swapping over the in-let and out-let so the air is not coming directly from outside. Having a burner in the shed so that the air pumped in is warmer will help loads, plus this is a source of co2.

Would you be able to put in heat matting under the grow to prevent the root level getting to cold, on the cold floor?. Plus putting insulation around the grow will help keep any heat in.

Set the lighting to be on at night so that their heat will help counter the cold nighttime temps.

But like I say it will be nigh-on impossible to keep temps. constant, but you may get close, and you'll have some colourful plants.

Gro.

I would advise swapping over the in-let and out-let so the air is not coming directly from outside.

277457[/snapback]

Same here, mine's in a garage and at first I was pulling air in from the outside it was impossible to keep a steady temperature. I have an oil filled rad next to the inlet and expell the air outside, so far 21 deg lights off and 24 deg lights on during the coldest days we've had, changing to lights on at night also helped.

Good luck mate. ;)

Cheers Gro, colours ? is that happens when they get cold ? lol

Binary, thanks mate, think i'll start looking for a rad then... gotta get this sorted my feet are itchin !

Puz ;)

Cheers Gro, colours ? is that happens when they get cold ?  lol

277470[/snapback]

On one grow I did when they got to cold, 3 out of the 4 strains I was growing at the time went technicolour :woot: all dark reds, blues, purples etc. I fealt as if I should frame them instead of smoking. ;)

I have an oil filled rad next to the inlet

277469[/snapback]

Have you got the rad actually infront the intake mate, so that the cool air hits the rad first?

Have you got the rad actually infront the intake mate, so that the cool air hits the rad first?

277525[/snapback]

Yes mate, air --> radiator --> intake lol

It's not a flat panel one but a finned one so the air gets pulled through it and warmed before hitting the intake.

9707t.jpg

Also has a thermostat and segmental timer built in, got mine from Argos. lol

Edited by binary

Is there any way you can get some loft insulation in there. I have a loft grow going at the moment. Its around 0c up there at night at the moment but with my well insulated growroom the temperature doesnt go below 25c. And the only heat source is a metal halide 250w. Dont even need a radiator.

Would save on electricity and gas for the heater.

Is there any way you can get some loft insulation in there. I have a loft grow going at the moment. Its around 0c up there at night at the moment but with my well insulated growroom the temperature doesnt go below 25c. And the only heat source is a metal halide 250w. Dont even need a radiator.

Thats sounds good mate but my problem is when i built the GR i used parts of the shed wall (wood) as a wall of the GR so i cant insulate the corner walls.

Might have to dismantle the whole thing to get insulation round it.. now theres an idea...

emmm.

Cheers,

Puz

any idea how much that costs to run ?

277539[/snapback]

No idea lol

Missus deals with all the bills, been shitting myself for a few months now for when she gets the electric bill through. lol All quiet so far, just keeping my head down and I'll plead ignorance if it's gone up a lot and she goes ballistic. lol

Better idea, when I can be arsed and I think Raz or Laz mentioned this last month. Is to cover the radiator with a box, duct from this into the intake. Run the radiator off a thermostatic plug (Argos) situated in the grow room.

Ooops forgot, one other way would be to drop a false floor in on top of some bricks and put a panel radiator on its side under the false floor. Air being pulled into the radiator cavity then passing through holes in the false floor up into the growroom, the radiator running of a thermostat/plug in the grow room.

Edited by binary