Are there any Hindus here?

Comrade Stoker

It's a fascinating religion, seems to make a lot of sense to me compared to the Abrahamic stuff we're usually subjected to. I can remember being in the classroom of a Hindu teacher that had decorated his walls with pictures of Gods and realising that they all seemed to represent the place where you go when you have mushrooms.

• Like 7

I think it's a shame if you feel you can't have the discussion in the open, it would be good to read.

eta you get the odd fuckwit but they're best ignored and they do get dealt with.

eta2 hark at me with my 'they're best ignored' lol

Edited by Ishmael
  • Like 7

I'm a Hindu - ask me anything.

Actually, I used to be, Ashrams, Gurus, the lot. Not so much recently. My wife has an even longer history with Hinduism and Eastern thought, but like I said not, for a few years.

Tough crowd here lol, pm me if you want a serious reply .

I've booked us into the temple in Wales. I've known somebody ages but we've only just started properly talking to each other. She and her family are Hindu and they're such lovely people. I started to show an interest in Hinduism and she got quite animated. It seems like a peaceful religion and I am keen to learn more.

Do many Hindus smoke herb, or would it be wrong to raise this with my friend? Shiva is the God that they smoke herb when they worship isn't it? Or is that far too simplistic?

• Like 2

Hey Comrade

Hinduism is a HUGE subject so difficult to summarise - my wife has offered some wise words:

- If you want to read around the subject, Ramakrishna and his Disciples by Christopher Isherwood would be a good starting point - a wee bit in the past but a good intro to Hinduism and Isherwood was a superb writer.

- Anything you can say about Hinduism the opposite is also true: Women are revered and also despised. it's all inclusive but very factionalised etc.

- if you go to a temple don't touch food with your left hand and don't sit with your feet pointed at the alter deities or guru.

Herb is associated with worshipers of Shiva - Sadhus, wandering mendicants and shaivite sects. It's not really a mainstream activity but I don't think your friend would be offended if you asked about it. Probably more of a personal decision although in the Guna classification (Sattva, Rajas & Tamas) it would be classed as a 'Tamasic' or 'dulling' intoxicant I think.

There are four main approaches to practicing Hinduism depending on your leanings - Bhakti (selfless devotion) Raja Yoga (the yoga of activity, offering all your actions to god) Jnana Yoga (intellectual reasoning and self-enquiry) and Hatha Yoga (physical purification through exercises).

It has a lot of similarities to quantum physics in a way, it's a science of consciousness and a way to explore who you are and what the ego is more than a set of beliefs to sign up to which makes it nebulous to describe.

Atb

• Like 18

Do many Hindus smoke herb, or would it be wrong to raise this with my friend? Shiva is the God that they smoke herb when they worship isn't it? Or is that far too simplistic?

I don't think it's used commonly by Hindus in general, mainly by Sadhus, devotees of Shiva.

The reason the Sadhu's - holy men - use it is that in Hindu mythology cannabis was created during the Churning of the Ocean of milk. The preparation of bhang is associated with this legend too.

Although I'm not at all religious, I agree that Hindu mythology is very interesting. The different stories regarding the gods and their various incarnations are fascinating.

E2A: I love Hindu religious artwork and architechture too - as Sam mentions, it's very psychedelic. :D

Edited by Guerrillero
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh "Hindu" the imperialists word for sindhu river dwelling niggers, dont call me hindu whitey.

Ok Shanti baba!

It has a lot of similarities to quantum physics in a way, it's a science of consciousness and a way to explore who you are and what the ego is more than a set of beliefs to sign up to which makes it nebulous to describe.

Atb

That's what fascinated me about Hinduism (and Buddhism and Taoism too) when I was younger. Read quite a lot of stuff about all three in my early twenties, but then stuff happened that kinda got in the way.

• Like 2