Autos dont need dark period ?

Guest kemistry23

8 hours ago, Newcouch said:

My ten pence; no there isnt. the concern of fire must be negligible. If you genuinely think your lights are a source of ignition, change them and change the space.

The consequence of fire is unbearable

so likelihood must be unbelievable

To be clear, I'm not the one with the issue. It's just something that makes my life easier if taken into account.. and if It means running lights out when no one's there then so be it. It's a non issue really. 

51 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

If there's a credible risk of fire you really need to rethink something.

If its just a light turning on in the tent then as long as the ballast is sat on something that can't set on fire you should be fine. 

What's the fire risk?

As far as I'm concerned there is none, hence my bracketed statement of 'fair enough, I suppose' not worth arguing about when I can just turn the lights off. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rolio said:

To be clear, I'm not the one with the issue. It's just something that makes my life easier if taken into account.. and if It means running lights out when no one's there then so be it. It's a non issue really. 

As far as I'm concerned there is none, hence my bracketed statement of 'fair enough, I suppose' not worth arguing about when I can just turn the lights off. 

led lights are so much cooler than a hps.

I get what you mean about not arguing over 6hrs lights off. My lights are on during the night and off at the day for the same reason. Although after running them for over a year the led lights just don’t get hot enough for it to be a problem so it’s not something I worry about now. Never ending electricity prices are the biggest issue now.

• Like 2

The funny thing to all this is the fact I reckon a heater running to keep it warm when lights out is more of a risk even if it's still negligible :D

Still, lads and lasses, I'm no closer to getting a definitive answer to my question - does it need to be absolutely pitch black for autos if the lights go off? 

I see some people here say it hasnt caused issues opening their tent during lights off which sort of answers it, but I'm intrigued by the science behind it. 

I guess I just wanna know if a darker period (with some light coming through passive intake) serves the same purpose as a completely dark period (zero light entering). Hopefully someone will know exactly how to interpret my question lol

@rolio No, but still try and be consistent in the relative dark periods and don't not care, and do let the plants wind down their processes in their night period. Being slapdash with the light periods could conceivably affect yield/quality, even if it doesn't cause hermies.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1
Just now, catweazle1 said:

@rolio No, but still try and be consistent in the relative dark periods and don't not care, and do let the plants wind down their processes in their night period. Being slapdash with the light periods could conceivably affect yield/quality, even if it doesn't cause hermies.

Absolutely mate, I'm trying to take as much care as possible to give myself the best chance with my first grow - this is why I'm really keen to find out if the ambient light is going to be an issue (the tent wouldn't be opened) from the passive intake or if I'm better off blocking the area to make it pitch black. 

55 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

@rolio Get a metre or so of opaque extraction pipe and stick that in the intake hole then u-bend it. That will shut the light off but allow air in.

My original plan was to use ducting and s bend it for this reason, I do even have some I bought already. The reason I didn't go for it was because I read then the intake would be the same size as extraction and it needs to be bigger. The passive intake is a meshed square next to the intake hole. 

Anyway, again we're getting away from the question as to... if pretty damn dark is as good as absolutely dark. lol

• Like 2
5 hours ago, rolio said:

if pretty damn dark is as good as absolutely dark. lol

No it doesn’t need to 100% dark for autos. If no dark periods are ok then a reduced light period will be fine also.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 2