NORML UK AGM, Bristol, 18-19 May 2013

Joolz

gallery_2_4418_55046.jpg

The Board of NORML UK cannabis campaign, one year after our formation, cordially invite you to attend our first Annual General Meeting, to be held at the Malcolm X Centre, Bristol, on 18-19th May 2013.

NORML UK was formed in May 2012 and started recruiting our first members last July. It was always our intention to hold our first A.G.M. within one year, we are delighted to be albe to keep this promise.

The event will start with a NORML UK members meeting, which will include reports from the Board, elections of officers of the Board, and to discuss campaigning strategy for the following year.

The event will be formally opened on Saturday 18th May by a spokesperson from the Malcolm X Foundation and Howard Marks and will be open to all ticket holders.

Discounted tickets are available for people who book before 1st April 2013 and people on low incomes (students, OAPs, unwaged, etc.,)

We have a cracking line up of speakers, including Howard Marks, Annie Machon, Tom Lloyd, Matt Southwell, as well as representatives from TRANSFORM, RELEASE and SSDP (Students for Sensible Drugs Policy). The ticket also incudes free entry to an eventing with Howard Marks and music night with local DJs from Bristol on the Saturday night.

Howard Marks will also be doing another gig on the Sunday night to which all the profits will be donated to both NORML UK and the Malcolm X Foundation.

click here for full programme of events and tickets

• Like 12

Thanks Joolz, should be a good laugh. I'll see if I can get a lift. :ninja:

:yinyang:

Eta- Sunday looks like a winner. :guitar:

Edited by Saddam

I can see lovemaryj getting very proactive this year with 4:20 and this one! More likely to be at 4:20 2bh but we need to be more vocal in our support!

Legalise it :yinyang:

• Like 3

Not sure what they are going to be saying to get excited about. My concern is that the 'legalize it' message is wrong in concept, and these speakers do nothing to expose the real issue here, it is simply a matter of what censorship of the mind we must endure. Talking about legalizing 'it' misses the mark as it actually avoids the whole possibility of simply the law reflecting reality, that is that it regulates the person with respect to drugs with the only justifiable aim of curbing social harms. In any situations where the person is not contributing directly to social harms, then that person retains a right to privacy of mind as the reasonable threshold defining peaceful existence vis a vis criminal conduct.

• Like 1

Dr Hemp - a certain level of brain activity is necessary to transform the impasse - having assisted with the drafting of NormlUK's constitution I am highly disappointed with the way to has gone from dynamic new idea to this re-hash of the same old stuff. The wish seems to be to create a comfort zone for people to feel good about as not being part of the 'other group'. I can see no new ideas, no new understanding - there needs to be a cohesive campaign that hits hard. These speakers will pull the project backwards, with the exception of Tom Lloyd's realisation that illegal drugs do not exist, I don't think any of them are getting any part of the right message out. Obviously Jeff if he confirms is a different kettle of fish and in a just world would be knighted already and the event would be sold out already.

Edited by sunshine band
  • Like 2

great news - hoping I will be around to attend this

@Sunshine Band

the issue for NORML and every other campaigning organisation is how to do more than just 'preach to the converted'

there is already majority support for reform on cannabis in the UK anyway - the real job now is to get the message out to other people

outside of a legal case the point you are making - valid though it may be - is not going to help achieve that

the question here is how to get new sections of the population on board - in particularly older people and the socially conservative

one example I've suggested is to see if NORML UK can get the WI (Women's Institute) involved in campaigning --- the best way to do that would be through wives, girlfriends, and cakes

A WI Lady's Guide to Pot

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=298130&st=0

they did one on Brothels, why not cannabis?

Edited by namkha
  • Like 4

It's a mistake to let arguments about what legislative form reform should take, split a valid protest movement.

The classic government response to righteous demands for change is to say to the forces gathering in support, OK how would you frame the legislation. This is a divide and rule tactic and generally leads to splits and confusion, leaving the status quo intact.

The role of protest movements is to pressure legislators to change unjust laws. The role of legislators is to frame just legislation.

So whether we shout 'free the weed' or 'free the smoker' isn;t the most important thing - a focus on the injustice and negative impact of current legislation is NOT a negative way of campaigning, it's just a campaign against a plainly bad law.

• Like 9

I have given up on Activist groups about cannabis.

They spend most of their time bickering about each other. The bicker about PR is still going on, I got "invited" to yet another "We hate PR" Facebook page recently, I fucked it off pronto.

So as far as campaigning for legal weed or legal smoking, I give up. I declare my home Normalised, and that'll have to do. I am not interested in bating PR,m nor does the list of speakers mentioned above thrill me. HM has even swallowed the "Evil Skunk" myth, I gather.

So I'm afraid that as far as organised activism goes, Arnold Layne has left the building.

:hippy:

Edited by Arnold Layne
  • Like 7

Legalise it normalise it who gives a fuck what the process is called splitting hairs divides the movement!

Rhetoric aside we need to speak up as a community :stoned:

• Like 5