Wildlife on weed

Punta Roja

This is what's left of the Dragonfly after the Wasps had finished with it.

gallery_68771_5715_109424.jpg

The Golden-ringed Dragonfly, Cordulegaster boltonii, is a large, striking dragonfly and the longest British species, the only one of its genus to be found in the United Kingdom.

Rare in my neck of the woods.

And it's a female.

ATB

PR

Edited by Punta Roja
  • Like 8

Not the best photo but thought he/she was enjoying himself/herself chillin' on my "Kaya Gold" tonight...

Nice b&w stripes, short wings, big eyes n' fat belly.

Check it:

gallery_78605_6139_71891.jpg

Edited by Polm
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any idea what this is on a Purple Maroc? It's a really common insect but I can't for the life of me remember what they're called now! :D

gallery_73695_6575_33198.jpg

gallery_73695_6575_33636.jpg

• Like 2

That's what we used to call them as kids, but I thought that was what the third pic in BP's post #204 was called! :D So what's the name of the spiderey thing in BP's pic?

Edited by Guerrillero

My bushiest plant is home to a few golden coloured spiders and one that's got a white body with two red lightning stripes down it. Looks deadly as fuck but is harmless, can't remember the name of them but I googled it and found it quite interesting.

It's not good having a slight arachnophobia and poking about your plants only to have a heart attack when you stumble across half a dozen of the creepy little bastards!

A couple of months ago I came across a frog whilst mowing the lawn, the first one I'd seen in years. Now we are overrun with loads of young frogs, which love jumping out of the long grass just as I bend down to have a look at the plants!

• Like 1