How to wire up a 1.5A STR Voltage Stepping Fan Speed Controller.

Amnesia

On 3/20/2017 at 4:23 PM, Joint hogger said:

yes the buzzing is normal.

Would you expect all of these 5 step transformers to do the same (hum in the end) ? i Like the variac build in the diy section but would like to build a controller using one of the above 5 step transformers (Using an arduino to switch between relays so in the software determine the best air flow rather that on MAX or min based on a thermostat. )( I cant see that the expensive sms or other transformer based controllers are doing anything different)

let me know your thoughts, you seem to know what your doing on these forums. ;)

• 9 months later...
On 20/03/2017 at 11:18 AM, flowerpowerandwhat said:

hi, ive been using this controller for around 2 weeks now and have wired just like yours with an extension. Everything is still working but i have noticed a slight buzzing coming from the controller not the fan, is this normal???

On 20/03/2017 at 4:23 PM, Joint hogger said:

No buzzing or hum whatsoever on mine, totally silent.

On 20/03/2017 at 11:18 AM, flowerpowerandwhat said:

hi, ive been using this controller for around 2 weeks now and have wired just like yours with an extension. Everything is still working but i have noticed a slight buzzing coming from the controller not the fan, is this normal???

On 20/03/2017 at 4:23 PM, Joint hogger said:

No buzzing or hum whatsoever on mine, totally silent.

timely reply lol

dont know why I said the STR humming was normal, must have been tripping or smoking BHO  lol

• Like 1

When I think about it now & go over the last few comments I actually think I got my wires mixed up with either one of those cheap lamp dimmers or a electronic triac controllers like the old ecotronics. either that or the Auld timers is kicking in  :smokin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!

Just put in a controller and extention lead in as per the article, very pleased with results!! Nice tidy cabling and ive managed to hide controller box in cupboard. Super stealthy. 

I do have a quick question though, I wired earth from socket into controller then took it out, wrapped earth going to fan side to it and screwed it back into earth terminal (in controller), giving earth continuity (!)

Is this correct/safe/normal??

3.5 weeks into flowering 3 smallish ladies. So im keen now to flip up!

First "proper" grow with equipment etc!!

Thanks for original post on how to do it!!! So much good info for me on this site, thank you all!!

@0gri and @Giventofry Glad my guide was of some assistance to you. :yep:

It does not really need to be earthed but no worries if you do, taking into account some fans are metal nowadays so best to earth it as i've done mine since writing this up.

Hi Amnesia,

Yes, its a metal boxed silent fan, so i guessed earthing would be best.

Also i had to put a patress box on rhe adjustable switch attached to fan, it has exposed lives!!

And again, thanks!!