How to wire up a 1.5A STR Voltage Stepping Fan Speed Controller.

Amnesia

Doesn't really matter, but the convention is U1 is Live and U2 is Neutral.

awesome thanks for clarifying that for me :)

I was worried if I got it wrong it would kill my TD-Silent which has already put me over my original budget.

Just tested it out and WOW with the fan wired to low power with the STR on 3 I had to put my hand over the exit of the fan to check if it was turned on lol

Re-wired the fan to high speed and It's still almost silent with the STR set to 3 :)

I'm so happy after how noisy my ruck was with and without the SMS controller (which greenshorticulture kindly let me return no question asked) , I was worried I might never get a silent enough extraction setup for my flat.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers NattyFido2 for clearing that up, I may switch mine around for next grow but it works perfectly as it is anyhow. :yep:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

Great help mate. Thanks ever so much :)..

Just a quick question.. My fuse in the plug is 13a. Should i change this to 3a which you recommended?

Sorry if that is a stupid question. Just would save me getting the extra fuse.

Peace

devilishfatcat, jah420 and monkeytennis Glad to be of some help.

A 3 amp fuse would be better so that the fuse blows first should anything go wrong. :yep:

• Like 1

I got myself the 3a like you suggested.. Perfect!

What a cracking device!

I would recommend this to any grower for stealth.

I can turn my autos lights off anytime if i have to and just reduce the speed to 1.

You wouldn't evan notice anything was going on in my drobe hehehe.

Thanks again mate. Would of been lost with out you!

Peace

if you hardly notice any movement when the str is set to 1 then i'd suggest that you check that the fan is actually moving :wassnnme:

There is still plenty of movement mate.

It is just very quiet now..

I would probably keep it on setting two or three, Just to make sure the air is all sucked through the filter so there are no escaping pongs hehe

Still unoticeable :):)..

Peace n love 420

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you thought about connecting it through a thermostat? And if you do can you please provide a diagram how to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

I was using a 1.5a STR rigged up to a thermostat and it was working brilliantly, I recently swapped it out for one of the new 3.5a Ziehl Abegg units and it seemed to be fine but I woke up to a blown fuse in the unit this morning.

I didn't have much time this morning so I bypassed the transformer and the fans are running full speed whilst I'm at work, I will investigate tonight and get back to you with my findings.

• 1 year later...

I notice you've wired the fan between the 'U1' and '2' terminals, and although this works because all the Neutrals are common, the fan should really be wired between the 'U1' and 'U2' terminals.

The '1' and '2' terminals are a simple on/off switch, if the dial is set to '0', the switch is off otherwise it is on.

<pedant mode = off> :wassnnme:

Natty :afro:

I swapped the wires to the U1 and U2 terminals and it works exactly the same, just to be on the safe side. :yep:

• 1 year later...

hi, ive been using this controller for around 2 weeks now and have wired just like yours with an extension. Everything is still working but i have noticed a slight buzzing coming from the controller not the fan, is this normal???

yes the buzzing is normal.

A transformer, as you well know, is made up of two or more coils around a core of ferrous material.

That ferrous material is not a solid lump of metal, but a series of plates laminated together with adhesive.

This is done because:

Early transformer developers soon realized that cores constructed from solid iron resulted in prohibitive eddy current losses,

and their designs mitigated this effect with cores consisting of bundles of insulated iron wires. Later designs constructed the

core by stacking layers of thin steel laminations, a principle that has remained in use.

-- Wikipedia

So you have lots of steel plates stuck together, but not only that:

Each lamination is insulated from its neighbors by a thin non-conducting layer of insulation.

Lots of metal plates, each with an induced magnetic field. That magnetic field acts between the adjacent plates stretching and

squeezing the adhesive and insulation between them. Over time that adhesive starts to break apart and the laminated layers

separate from each other slightly. This is the humming noise you can hear. It's always present, but once the adhesive starts to

break it gets louder. These micro-fractures in the adhesive may not be visible to the naked eye, but in extreme situations they

may be so bad the layers of lamination become loose and the transformer literally rattles as you shake it.

Also, the more current you draw through a transformer the larger the induced magnetic fields, and thus the louder the transformer hums

• Like 1