Harvesting Advice For Newbies First Grow

WeedyOne

After wot seems like almost half a lifetime, my first grow, two NFT grown White Widows are just into their second week of water only rations.

Although they are still developing some new growth of the bud/white pistil type it seems from wot I can tell that they are about ready for harvest, so I intend to cut within the next 7 days.

Now I am very excited, but also nervous because there have been quite a few trials and tribulations along the way and it was back in February that I first soaked a couple of seeds. So I really don't want to mess this up after all this time, work and expense.

Thanks to the excellent contributions to this forum, I think that I understand the basics of cut, trim, dry, jar, wait, smoke. However, I have some questions and welcome comments from the experts.

1. How much to trim, when and how?

a. Trim *all* the leaves off immediately after harvest as it is easiest to do when the leaves are full of water.

b. Trim the big Daddy leaves immediately, then trim all the smaller leaves after drying for a few days, but before curing. Smaller leaves protect the buds during drying.

c. Trim the big Daddy leaves immediately, then trim all the smaller leaves after curing as and when required. Buds are protected and the work is spread out.

d. Trim nothing until after drying then carefully remove as many leaves as possible.

e. My experience to date has been restricted to working with buds from low down the plants that were not really developing much and looked like they wanted to be smoked. For these little flowers, trimming all the leaves off would have left very little so I have been using a variation of b., leaving some or parts of the smaller leaves and no curing, the result hasn't been brilliant but it has hit the spot.

Also, at wot stage should the buds be removed from the stem?

Edited by WeedyOne

2. Should the harvest be graded?

For example:

a. Large buds, all leaves removed

b. Medium size buds, a few small leaves left on

c. Small buds, a few small leaves left on

d. Small trim leaves with clearly visible white resin coating

e. Medium trim leaves with clearly visible white resin coating

f. Big Daddy leaves

4. Wot to do with the trim?

a. Smoke it when you run out of the good stuff

b. Throw it away

c. Process it through an Ice-O-Lator or similar. Recommended products?

d. Use a home made alternative to c

e. Process it through a Space Case Crystal Catcher or similar. Recommended products?

f. Use a home made alternative to e

g. Cook with it

i trim asap after the harvest m8, everything i dont wanna smoke comes off :no:

i keep the airbuds apart from the heavier buds(cos they dry quicker, its what i`ll use for smoke(if needed) to allow the big buds curing time).

i keep all my trim together, some will make canna butter & some butane oil... stems and any woody bits are ususally dropped into export strength vodka to make green dragon :yinyang:

he dont waste a thing that mdp.... its a shame blue peter couldnt afford him .. all i can say the youth of today has sufferd because of this oversight :no::yinyang:

the small `airy`(not very dense) looking buds that are generally found under the canopy level where theres less light ;)

:no:... cheers CA... :yinyang:

A lot of the answers are down to personal preference, just make sure it is dried properly, and cured for as long as you can wait, patience is the key. I have some buds that were jarred in april, smoking them now and they are fantastic.

How much you trim when you harvest also has a bearing on how long they take to dry, trim as much as possible off and they should dry a few days earlier.

I would suggest the icolators for the trim, will be get a set of bags very soon my self. The trim will do as a smoke, but i find it too harsh for the buzz. been using the space case to run some trim though, all i can say is its a lot of hard work putting a bucket full of trim through a grinder. especially giving it a good shake each time aswell, Mr universe better look out :smoke:

Oh and you'll need scissors, take 1 branch and try and do it with yer fingers, you'll soon have the scissors out. :(

You could splash out and get an electric trimmer.

Thanks for the tips.

Electric trimmer, he-he.

They have had two weeks on water rations and have added a bit of last minute growth. I will be cutting 'em down tomorrow.

I will probably try to trim all the leaves off the main buds immediately I have harvested them, and I will probably leave the 'airbuds' bulked out with a bit of leaf for chuffing while I wait for the 'A1' buds to cure.

I'd be interested to hear how well the Ice-O-Lator bags work, I wonder if I will have enough trim from just two plants to justify the effort?

I think the question isn't is it worth the effort - trust me, it is (mmmm, ice hash ;) ), but is it worth the expense. Never used iceolator or bubble bags cos of the cost, but I can highly recommend this, definitely worth the effort & practically free :smoke: