Learning to be content

DrWho

Happiness is an odd thing,

When we are down on our luck/feeling misreble or depressed, we think of all the things that would make us happy that we don't have.

Some of us then manage to find the motivation/drive to start projects/work towards objectives that will enrich our lives. (growing your own for example)

Things are looking up, projects are running smoothly but instead of being content we feel 'bored'

We start more projects to fill the void

We start to feel overwhelmed again

Things start to go wrong

projects start to fail and are left unfinnished

The cycle restarts.

Discuss

How can we learn to be content/ happy with what we have / what steps need to be taken / is there a universal answer??

• Like 1

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling. (Margaret Lee Runbeck (1905-1956))

Edited by Mephitis
  • Like 9

i think humans are not designed to be content. i dont think iv eever met anyone who is truely content. theres always something else, bigger, better, more. but then if it was so easy to become content would humans have made all the progress thats been made? if we were content to travel in balloons would we have planes? i may have totally mssed the point there but thats my thoughts.

• Like 1

Having had a rather bad upbringing I have always strived to make something more of myself resulting in some epic fails. I hate authority figures therefore never could hold down a job, so started numerous businesses, worked like a motherfucker to make the best of them. Relationships as well had so many major fuck ups in them, until I met my fantastic wife but then again created another fuck up by having an affair, luckily we are still together & worked through it.

We all strive for happiness looking hard to find it, making ourselves ill over it & do you know what at the age of 40 I have come to realise? It is simply this...WE do not find happiness, Happiness finds US, all we have to do is take a step back & have a hard look at what we HAVE right there in front of us, I have my health & after the crazy young life I had, at the age of 40 I am still here. I am happy to be alive, I am happy to have such a caring woman by my side & 5 lovely twatting kids( :rofl: ) I may not have a lot of money but then does that REALLY make you happy? I am happy with what I have & yes I would like a bit more, but who wouldnt.

Happiness is........

Hydro2

• Like 8

i think humans are not designed to be content. i dont think iv eever met anyone who is truely content. theres always something else, bigger, better, more. but then if it was so easy to become content would humans have made all the progress thats been made? if we were content to travel in balloons would we have planes? i may have totally mssed the point there but thats my thoughts.

Thats a very valid point and i'm sure their are countless examples in history of great minds that ended up suffering from depression but achieved great things.

So I guess it maybe depends which camp you fall into, driven and constantly feeling like you need to do more/chilled out and content/depressed with your current situation regardless how good you have it.

Having had a rather bad upbringing I have always strived to make something more of myself resulting in some epic fails. I hate authority figures therefore never could hold down a job, so started numerous businesses, worked like a motherfucker to make the best of them. Relationships as well had so many major fuck ups in them, until I met my fantastic wife but then again created another fuck up by having an affair, luckily we are still together & worked through it.

We all strive for happiness looking hard to find it, making ourselves ill over it & do you know what at the age of 40 I have come to realise? It is simply this...WE do not find happiness, Happiness finds US, all we have to do is take a step back & have a hard look at what we HAVE right there in front of us, I have my health & after the crazy young life I had, at the age of 40 I am still here. I am happy to be alive, I am happy to have such a caring woman by my side & 5 lovely twatting kids( :rofl: ) I may not have a lot of money but then does that REALLY make you happy? I am happy with what I have & yes I would like a bit more, but who wouldnt.

Happiness is........

Hydro2

With 5 rugrats you don't have time to get bored, I'd be surprised if you even find time to think. :headpain:

I believe it is possible to be content with your life, at least for some people as there are those that'll never be content. We all go through highs & lows & this is needed, you need the lows to appreciate the highs. So a balance in your life is needed & the realisation of this occurs to people usually later in life but not always. Also the need to accept your life the way it is is essentual to striking that balance & achieve contentment.

I agree with Thicky in that there are no easy answers & obviously it's very different from one person to the other. Many people spend their lifes chasing the almighty buck & will probably never achieve contentment.

In my travels while birding abroad I've found the poorest people seem to be the most content (I don't mean starving people in Africa ect) & without doubt the friendliest & most generous, in relative terms.

Cheers for now I'm off birding.

HT.

• Like 1

Guest shitead

I dunno, i reckon it all comes down to intelligence or more importantly a lack of it. You see, an intelligent person will always be asking questions and looking for answers, needing something to stimulate the brain.

A complete numpty on the other hand, will be happy with the smallest thing and stay that way for a long time. Like me :D

• Like 2

Life is not a static condition so there can't be a formula for achieving a perfect end, there is only a condition of being perfected which seems to be a dynamic principle that underpins all levels of our existence.

I learned a simple truth that was in a book with a series of interviews with women such as Maya Angelou and others. The woman in question was asked what was THE most important thing she had learned in her life and she said words to the effect of

"the most important thing is to be grateful, above all be grateful"

That advice is very profound. It is a very powerful position to occupy. :yep:

In my experience it has been the most important thing I have learned.

Edited by Thicky
  • Like 7

Life is not a static condition so there can't be a formula for achieving a perfect end, there is only a condition of being perfected which seems to be a dynamic principle that underpins all levels of our existence.

I learned a simple truth that was in a book with a series of interviews with women such as Maya Angelou and others. The woman in question was asked what was THE most important thing she had learned in her life and she said words to the effect of

"the most important thing is to be grateful, above all be grateful"

That advice is very profound. It is a very powerful position to occupy. :yep:

In my experience it has been the most important thing I have learned.

:clapping: :clapping: Grateful for what you do have.

Hydro2

With 5 rugrats you don't have time to get bored, I'd be surprised if you even find time to think. :headpain:

The youngest is 12 now DrWho, one them is from another relationship, she lives in Scotland, but the other 4 are still at home....still here....like leeches....please get your own places..pleeeeeeeaaaasssee :wallbash: ..ahem, sorry just let me get myself together. :wassnnme::rofl:

Hydro2

• Like 3

I was recommended Vispassna gallery_36087_2052_804.gifand was hoping to attend in the school holidays in April. :lucky: we all help with it out there scamps; it's a mean mean world !

If you ask a buddhist about contentment they will probably say something like 'desire is the root of all unhappiness'. It is the desire for more (greed?) that makes us unhappy when we cant realise that 'desire'. I dont have a lot and am single but on the whole I guess i'm feeling more content within myself than I have ever done. It's all in the mind for me :yinyang:

• Like 1