Big Devil #2 ® | Fast Bud #2 ®

Sweet Seeds-tommy

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_44939_2830_7697.jpggallery_44939_2830_27583.jpggallery_44939_2830_21006.jpg

★ 17 days + Transplanting ★

gallery_44939_2830_121576.jpg

Hi mates!

:smoke:

All good? :stoned: Thanks for the visit and comments :yep:

Sorry for the delay with this update. So, this time the transplant was at day 17 from germination, but from my experience with this autos I'm starting to think the correct day to transplant to the final pots is day 15, or between day 13 and day 16. So I would do it a little earlier next time. This, of course, with pots of the size I'm using: 500ml pots for the first 2 weeks and with a pot of 7 litres or more from there to harvest. I'm sure that my plants will now spread their roots using all the soil available.

This time I'm doing it cutting the bottom of the pots, and putting them directly in the bigger pots, as you can see in the pics. I know some of you guys in this forum use this same "method" and I really agree that it may have a few advantages, so I'm giving it a try.

Well, I'll leave you now with the reports and some pics... :skin_up:

Watering Report [day 12]

• pH of the water: 6,4
  • Fertilizer: Nothing yet
  • Bloom stimulator: No
  • Quantity of water per plant: 90ml (500ml pots)
  • Watering frequency: once every 2 days

Starting with a couple of pics with the 6 plants...

gallery_44939_2830_33557.jpg gallery_44939_2830_120764.jpg

As I told you in the first posts of this thread I had to select 2 plants, one from each variety, and exclude them from this diary. It was not easy at all, they are all looking very good and very similar to each other. They are all healthy and growing with lots of vigour, no visible differences at all, as you can see in the pics. But well, the 2 plants that will be adopted by a friend will be this beautiful couple:

gallery_44939_2830_36902.jpg

Bye, bye ladies :smokin:

Probably we're not going to see them anymore in this thread, but at least their sisters will be around for a while to tell us their genetic story :stoned:

Watering Report [day 14]

• pH of the water: 6,3
  • Fertilizer: Nothing yet
  • Bloom stimulator: No
  • Quantity of water per plant: 120ml (500ml pots)
  • Watering frequency: once every 3 days

To the Canna Bio Plus soil I added a little extra of perlite, a bit of vermiculite and 50gr per plant of guanokalong batguano powder.

gallery_44939_2830_102525.jpg gallery_44939_2830_5550.jpg

Here's a picture of the 3 Big Devil #2...

gallery_44939_2830_257945.jpg

The Weather

• Maximum temperature: 23,6º
  • Minimum temperature: 16,8º
  • Thermic amplitude: 6,8º
  • Humidity with HPS: 46%
  • Humidity without HPS: 77%

Color scale > Green: optimal | Orange: satisfying | Brown: worrying | Red: dangerous

gallery_44939_2830_47233.jpg gallery_44939_2830_5861.jpg

Some very beautiful Big Devil #2 leaves in this pictures...

And this is how they are going to stay...

gallery_44939_2830_189188.jpg

...but cutting the pot bottom first, like we can see in the next pictures...

gallery_44939_2830_61674.jpg gallery_44939_2830_85517.jpg

gallery_44939_2830_12432.jpg gallery_44939_2830_16006.jpg

gallery_44939_2830_15753.jpg gallery_44939_2830_175107.jpg

We can't see lots of roots in there but with autos we have no time to wait for them to fill the whole place with their mean devils roots :dev: ...so we need to transplant them as soon as possible, because in 10 days from now they'll be flowering.

Now you can see how I do the transplanting, it's just leaving the pot without bottom on the surface of the soil, hehe...

gallery_44939_2830_254747.jpg

And the first Big Devil #2 is done...

gallery_44939_2830_14463.jpg

One done, 3 left...

gallery_44939_2830_81855.jpg

The roots of a Fast Bud #2...

gallery_44939_2830_112340.jpg

And heere you go... the 4 plants in their final pots, ready for an explosive flowering:

gallery_44939_2830_231441.jpg

gallery_44939_2830_113303.jpg

And that's all for today. Now I'll be back in a week with a new update where I think plants will already be with a few pistils.

Thanks for visiting the diary!

Sweet smokes :lucky:

tommy

gallery_44939_2830_34015.png

• Like 2

Hey Tommy, they are beauties mate, sad that you have to give two away but I guess you have your reasons :)

Have to say I've not actually seen this method of cutting the bottom of the pot out then just sitting it on the soil, I thought you were gonna put the pot INTO the soil, I guess they have a lot more room for the roots to grow into..

Watching with interest, great update :yep:

CK :oldtoker:

• Like 1
Guest Default Attribute

Interesting method with potting up, will definitely be watching how it works out, I will be doing some sweet seeds autos next grow so might do that method myself if it works good :)

All the best

looking good tommy! i know how the big devil#2 should turn out but i am very excited about the fast bud#2 as ive not seen them grown yet but heard many good reports about them. atb

• Like 1

Hi mates! :stoned:

Thanks for the visits and comments :yep:

Seems like a waste of a pot to me. Are there ANY benefits to this Tommy?

Cheers :yinyang:

Hey Hiphip :smokin:

I can see your point my friend, but in this case, in my opinion, it's all the opposite: this method is to avoid the traditional waste of the upper 5-8cm of pot.

When we do a "traditional" transplant, with a hole in the soil of the big pot where the whole "cake" of the small pot gets into, the 5-8cm of the soil near the surface are never used, which can be confirmed when we take the whole soil "cake" out of the pot after harvesting the plants. You'll see no roots at all in the upper 5-8cm of soil. With this method the non-used 5-8cm get reduced to only 2-3cm, which means that my plants have now 18 complete litres of soil available to spread their roots. And, besides that, I also believe the possible stress from transplanting gets slightly reduced. Plants don't feel it like a transplant, they just notice from one moment to another that now they can spread roots down and that they have lots of additional space to do it. It's a good surprise to the plants, with no stress at all.

As I said before I don't think it makes a lot of difference anyway, not at all, it's not a revolutionary method, not even close. But the slight difference, if it really exists, has to be positive. But well, once again, this is just my opinion. And I'm not defending this method, it is not my invention and the only thing I'm doing is trying to clarify the reasons why I think this might have a slightly positive effect in the plants development.

And one important thing I forgot to mention... In the first watering it is important to try and get humidity only in the surface of the soil, so we can water in the small pot with 100-150ml of water and sprinkle some water in the surface of the big pot to get the upper 4-5cm moisty. Like this the plant will start to spread some roots in the upper part of the soil in the first days and then, little by little, the roots will be going down, getting advantage of all the soil available.

Good thing about this experiences in the forums is that in the end one can take his own conclusions based on final results, so lets wait and see if there are any visible differences.

Oh and Hiphip, if by the "waste of pot" you mean that the small pot will have to go to the garbage in the end, I don't see that as a waste because I bought 10 of this pots for only 1 and a half euros, which is something like 1,10£, so each pot costed 11 cents. They are not hard plastic pots, they are very light, flexible and so, cheap :)

Thanks again for your participation in my thread, see you around, sweet smokes!! :skin_up:

tommy

• Like 1

:yinyang: Thanks for the reply Tommy. I can see sense in what your saying and I may try it soon. Less stress for the plants is always a good thing. :yinyang:

AHH cheap pot, OK, no waste as such.

Would you consider doing this to other size pots in a "Normal" grow, not auto's, and should you only do it if there is to be little "Potting up"? I.e. In a normal grow we may pot up three times. In that case would you cut the bottom off EACH of the pots? OR, would you only pot up into the final pots, say from the 1 ltr to a 11 ltr?

Intrigued by ANYTHING that I haven't yet seen my friend and can see that the benefits would outweigh any concerns.

I shall be watching this with interest.

Again thanks for all that you do for us mate.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 1

Hi again buddy! :stoned:

Well, I'm trying it now with this size of pots and with autos, then I'll see if I try it out also with other kind of conditions. But it seems to me that a good size of pot to do this is like the ones I'm using: a little 500ml pot for the first 2-3 weeks upon a big size pot (from 11 to 18 litres). Like this I think it will probably work good. If it was non-autos, with 2 transplants, maybe it would get like a tower of pots, hehehe, and I'm not that sure if that would be positive, but if the grower has no limitations in the height of the plants it can be a good thing anyway... and I've seen others doing it with great success.

This mate also likes this method: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=253450

And I've seen a few more in uk420 and in other forums with excellent results :spliff:

Keep passing by, sweet smokes!

tommy

• Like 1

I don't grow in soil or coco myself, except for one Critical mass I have left to flower off in a coco/pebble mix out of curiosity. But I can see great logic in this method, because not only was it pain in the arse moving it over to another pot & coco & pebbles everywhere but I was worried about root damage no matter how slight as the root mass was huge, plus with this method you can transplant into whatever size container with great ease, this may just have inspired into having a wee go myself.

Thank you kind sir :yep:

Hydro2

e2a. Nice one for helping a friend.

Edited by hydro2
  • Like 1

looking real nice tommy.i have a week to go with 3 of these fast bud #2's.my first ever grow and i couldnt be happier .really found your other sweet seeds test grows a massive source of valuable info. just need to get myself a decent camera and start my own diary for my next attempt! 5 green poison auto's and 2 s.a.d auto.

keep smoking!

d artist

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So... this is not one of the best diaries, sorry, but I have to admit it then... :unsure:

Sorry guys.

I'll update soon, not much time left this days with all the Sweet Seeds initiatives in all the forums :(

Today and tomorrow, just in uk420, I'll have to check more than 90 diaries, more than 3000 posts with updates to decide about the 5 nominees...

Actually, I'm closing this thread and will continue maybe just in a couple of months, it's too much pressure for me this days and I really can't deal with it. I have the pics, the plants are great, but doing it in 7 forums, having to translate it into 3 different languages, uploading pics 7 times, to the 7 forums is really not possible from a human point of view... and to have complaints in the diaries, no thanks, I'm closing it.

I'll do my job with the contests and that's all.

Thanks to all the friends who supported me here, I'll finish the diary maybe in the summer, when the contests are finished. I'll keep posting it only in the spanish forum, for the most curious of you. People seem to be more patient there. And there's a new update already... I was about to translate it and post it here but I like do it with pleasure, not as an obligation.

Thanks for the visits, come back in a few months, if you want, kind regards,

tommy

Edited by Sweet Seeds
  • Like 2