push or pull?

gumpstar

hi 420ers ive just upgraded from 400w hps to 6oow n was wondering the best config for my cooltube set up?

when i woz using the 400 temps were fine using passive in takes(flaps open on tent) and my temp controled 125mm rvk extract.

but i would like to no the best way to get the extra heat out of my 1x1x2m tent.

am i correct in thinking filter,duct,cooltube,duct,rvk fan,out of my window plus i have a tt 150 inline fan on low speed intake.

sorry i cant get my pics to size to upload at the mo. but working on it cus i would like to do a diary for my next project 5 nivana ak48

thanks in advance guys n gals.

cheers dropout i thought i woz on the right track!

once ive sussed out how to resize me pics to 350 or under kb il get me 1st diary on the go!

Sorry i'd say you are wrong. I read up a bit on this and set up my air cooled hood by pushing air though it not sucking. You don't want hot air going through the fan.

My setup is like this.. carbon filter -> fan -> air cooled light -> exit

Sorry i'd say you are wrong. I read up a bit on this and set up my air cooled hood by pushing air though it not sucking. You don't want hot air going through the fan.

I agree with this. I have a 400w cooltube. I've heard they aren't that good though due to light loss from the glass, and my temps are going a bit low at times. But although there are two schools of thought on this, obviously, but the correct way is > filter > fan > tube > exhaust. Fitting an RVK and a Cooltube together can be a balls ache. I've hung my RVK straight on the beginning of the Cooltube on the cool side. I'm also getting a bit of dust building up inside the tube which I'll clean out when I can be arsed.

Edited by I_L_M_G
  • Like 1

I agree with this. I have a 400w cooltube. I've heard they aren't that good though due to light loss from the glass, and my temps are going a bit low at times. But although there are two schools of thought on this, obviously, but the correct way is > filter > fan > tube > exhaust. Fitting an RVK and a Cooltube together can be a balls ache. I've hung my RVK straight on the beginning of the Cooltube on the cool side. I'm also getting a bit of dust building up inside the tube which I'll clean out when I can be arsed.

good point with the heat goin through the fan. n i defo dont want to go n fuk me fan up! ($130 temp controled rvk) thanks for saving me possibly doing that!

save me the balls ache how did u hang your rvk on the beginning of ur cooltube? thanks.

Well, I'm gathering your just upgrading the ballast and bulb(question mark key broken). Or have you upgraded the tube and fan from 125 to 150(question mark). The 600w cooltube is marketed as a 150 tube to be used with a 150 rvk.

The reason I ask is I haven't seen the 150 tube and rvk, but the 400w 125 tube and fan just slot together. Nice and tight to be honest. The fan pushes over the end of the tube, then I clamped it. I hung it using the fan end of the tube. This is a pic of it here. I have to pull the other end down with a weight. I am using an old filter and cable ties. I've been meaning to hang the fan on the same strap too as it is only supported by the clamp and it's own tightness on the tube. I'd hate to think what could happen if the fan came adrift if I was away for a night or two. Oh and also, if you are blowing over the light it doesn't matter which way around you put the tube, but I put the fan blowing over the socket end of the tube first, this leave access to the bulb open so you don't have to remove the fan each time you need to get to the bulb.

Hope this helps.

cheers dropout i thought i woz on the right track!

once ive sussed out how to resize me pics to 350 or under kb il get me 1st diary on the go!

Download irfanview (very popular and very free), open your pic, use the image menu > resize/resample > I normally chose 640x480, takes the image to about 100k or less. Save image, upload image to the thread you want to post to using the upload image button first, then click add to post or whatever it says, in the position in the post you want. Simples.

Well, I'm gathering your just upgrading the ballast and bulb(question mark key broken). Or have you upgraded the tube and fan from 125 to 150(question mark). The 600w cooltube is marketed as a 150 tube to be used with a 150 rvk.

The reason I ask is I haven't seen the 150 tube and rvk, but the 400w 125 tube and fan just slot together. Nice and tight to be honest. The fan pushes over the end of the tube, then I clamped it. I hung it using the fan end of the tube. This is a pic of it here. I have to pull the other end down with a weight. I am using an old filter and cable ties. I've been meaning to hang the fan on the same strap too as it is only supported by the clamp and it's own tightness on the tube. I'd hate to think what could happen if the fan came adrift if I was away for a night or two. Oh and also, if you are blowing over the light it doesn't matter which way around you put the tube, but I put the fan blowing over the socket end of the tube first, this leave access to the bulb open so you don't have to remove the fan each time you need to get to the bulb.

Hope this helps.

ive just unscrewed my 400w bulb repaced with my 600w bulb n changed my ballast to the 600w im hopeing my 125mm tube and fan has got enuf suction? plus ive got a tt inline for intake in my dr100 1x1x2m gona have a play about with me set up 2moro n hopefuly get it right! also thanks for the photo info gona get me head round it 2mora aswell so il can get me 1st diary up n running!

Cool beans an all, as they all seem to say round here. I dry ran my tent for about a week before it put anything in it and am still surprised at the temp variations. Hopefully a 600 will be ok in there. I can't see why not. I think I need to get a fan controller, maybe it'll smooth out my temp variations.

Best of luck my friend. Hope I've been of some use. Get a diary up, you'll get some good advice. I'd certainly like to keep up with another cooltube diary. This is my first hps grow for nearly ten years, so it's all good fun at the moment :)

this is how i use to have it set up with the 400wpost-47886-0-22835700-1314053605_thumb.jpg

with my 125mm rvk on top of the tentpost-47886-0-36117700-1314053670_thumb.jpg

and this is the inline tt i have acquiredpost-47886-0-75944200-1314053741_thumb.jpg

any sudgestions how i should set my shit up would be great!

and thanks I_L_M_G for the photo resizing help!

• Like 1

What sort of result were you getting with the 400? (question mark works on this one :)) Why the upgrade, and what medium and nutes were you using? Curious to know what I might achieve.

Also did you use the shade wings things with it? No worries for the photo help, it's a piece of piss when you know how :)

Edited by I_L_M_G

What sort of result were you getting with the 400? (question mark works on this one :)) Why the upgrade, and what medium and nutes were you using? Curious to know what I might achieve.

4 plants with jhon innis soil canna vega n canna terra nutes bloombastic boost in 11 ltr pots with my 400 hps.

and always getting around 8oz dry!

but with my 600w hps hopeing for 12 to 14 oz

thats the reason for the upgrade 12 to 14 better than 8oz!

call me gready!lol