science vs religion

Guest Zeah

so whats wrong with giving your opinion on religion if i believe its crazy to follow a religion why cant i say it . if i believed in aliens and u said u thought i was crazy i would not take offense each to there own or is it that u relise u have been believing a lot of nonsense your whole life and cant admit it to yourself

There's nothing at all wrong with giving your opinion, it was the way it was said, it's

all about respect really there's no need for outright mockery. The alien

comparison is entirely different, you don't have that forced onto you from birth then consume

your entire childhood/education.

I stopped believing it all as a teenager, though I try to stick to the ten commandments, they

seem to make sense. Cept for the stealing one, all major supermarkets are fair game a priest

said so recently :-)

If anyone would like to comment on something I did actually say feel free, a change is as good as a rest....

lol you're quite funny, erm something about trying to get a reaction? :wassnnme:

You're on the side of waffle.

"If I were just being pedantic, I should say that "common to think" has no meaning without a time frame and an estimate of the ratio of "flat earthers" to "spherical earthers". Is 5% of a population "common"?"

If? lol. It's very boring.

lol you're quite funny, erm something about trying to get a reaction? :wassnnme:

No, that was something about you making up comments like 'as good as useless' then attributing them to me.

No, that was something about you making up comments like 'as good as useless' then attributing them to me.

Yeah, you're a real model of nice manners and polite talk, ain't ya?

I think people that adhere to organized cults are mentally ill and they should be prevented from holding any position of responsibility.

• Like 1

"If I were just being pedantic, I should say that "common to think" has no meaning without a time frame and an estimate of the ratio of "flat earthers" to "spherical earthers". Is 5% of a population "common"?"

Boring perhaps, but I see you have no answers....

• Like 1

so whats wrong with giving your opinion on religion if i believe its crazy to follow a religion why cant i say it . if i believed in aliens and u said u thought i was crazy i would not take offense each to there own or is it that u relise u have been believing a lot of nonsense your whole life and cant admit it to yourself

There's nothing at all wrong with giving your opinion, it was the way it was said, it's

all about respect really there's no need for outright mockery. The alien

comparison is entirely different, you don't have that forced onto you from birth then consume

your entire childhood/education.

I stopped believing it all as a teenager, though I try to stick to the ten commandments, they

seem to make sense. Cept for the stealing one, all major supermarkets are fair game a priest

said so recently :-)

If anyone would like to comment on something I did actually say feel free, a change is as good as a rest....

when it comes to the catholic religion i have no respect organisation which harbours beasts helps the aids and stds spread does not allow abortions held back sceince by killing and torturing anyone who did not agree with there nonsense in the inquisistion . a pope who said go fight in the crusades and butcher muslims and your sins are forgiven if thats the catholic church u can keep it amen

• Like 1

Boring perhaps, but I see you have no answers....

It's not that, I get what you're saying more or less, it's just dragging off in a direction abstract from the point I was making, all based on something about the earth going round the sun when I could just have easily mentioned one of thousands of science based revelations and the same initial point would stand but the pedantry wouldn't. See?

It's not that, I get what you're saying more or less, it's just dragging off in a direction abstract from the point I was making, all based on something about the earth going round the sun when I could just have easily mentioned one of thousands of science based revelations and the same initial point would stand but the pedantry wouldn't. See?

I appreciate your reining it back. I'll try to be more concise.

Do you think that Newton was deluded when he formulated his view of mechanics? Einstein's special theory of relativity shows that Newton was 'wrong'.

edited for spelling

Edited by strawberry

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV)

1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.

2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6 “You shall not murder.

7 “You shall not commit adultery.

8 “You shall not steal.

9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

The first four have nothing to do with morals. 5-9 make sense, 10 is weird. Doesn't seem much of a list for an omnipotent being, i'm sure we could all make up a better one.

Thanks for the response AL :yep:

The fact that there are so many religions prove that there is no truth to any of them.

Or possibly that there's some truth in all of them.

Maybe, but the main tenets are pants.

Edited by troy

This thread seems to be mired in etiquette and semantics. Is this an avoidance strategy ?

Do you think that Newton was deluded when he formulated his view of mechanics? Einstein's special theory of relativity shows that Newton was 'wrong'.

edited for spelling

'wrong' in that he didn't have any evidence to contradict his 'laws' but he had evidence to support them. It turned out he wasn't completely accurate. I'm not sure the relevance still but I suppose that would be classed as a delusion only if he was certain nothing would ever contradict anything he stated. If he thought he was 'right' like a modern scientist, only within the constraints of the evidence available to him, the he made a perfectly reasonable error.

I think your demand for scientific accuracy is a bit much here! :stoned:

edited for spelling

'wrong' in that he didn't have any evidence to contradict his 'laws' but he had evidence to support them. It turned out he wasn't completely accurate. I'm not sure the relevance still but I suppose that would be classed as a delusion only if he was certain nothing would ever contradict anything he stated. If he thought he was 'right' like a modern scientist, only within the constraints of the evidence available to him, the he made a perfectly reasonable error.

I think your demand for scientific accuracy is a bit much here! :stoned:

I'm just trying to determine the basis for your saying people in the past were deluded.

You agree that a person is not deluded if acting on the best information available at the time.

So, is it possible that in the past there was a time when given a bad crop of apples that people didn't have the means to perform empirical analysis of their actions and the resultant crops for the following years? That these people had a choice of doing nothing, with no reason to think that doing nothing would lead to anything other than a repeat of a failed crop or possibly trying out the latest idea from neighbouring people that sacrificing a young virgin (or Edward Woodward) might help. (And a failed crop could mean the deaths of many more people than a few sacrifices.) I can easily imagine that if they were to make a sacrifice and coincidentally a good crop did arrive that they might get quite evangelical about the experience.

A combination of no understanding of cognitive bias and temporal separation of causes and their events could have made these people's behaviour the rational scientific choice at the time. Or at least a "perfectly reasonable error"?

Most predictable response ever. I actually wrote that bit already but I went to sleep and lost the post, I had to rewrite it today.