Frank Zappa Fan Thread

Hughie Green

ive lots of zappa and i honestly find a good 50% unlistenable ..meandering mindless guitar wank that only guitarists understand the vitruosity and complexity of ..but the other 50% is musical genius ,deep seated vocal commentaries of his disdain or amusement at the foibles of humanity at its most odd ..and then theres just the downright rude and funny stuff ..social comentaries set to just about every form of musical genre using the best musicians possible .

ive lots of zappa and i honestly find a good 50% unlistenable ..meandering mindless guitar wank that only guitarists understand the vitruosity and complexity of ..but the other 50% is musical genius ,deep seated vocal commentaries of his disdain or amusement at the foibles of humanity at its most odd ..and then theres just the downright rude and funny stuff ..social comentaries set to just about every form of musical genre using the best musicians possible .

I think (sorry to be taking over the thread) that's been my problem, what's been played to me (I got a mate who's REALLY into his Zappa, but who really I only ever see when we meet in a pub, get utterly leathered, then end up back at his flat drinking weird, strange coloured spirits you never heard of but that could fuel a rocket to Mars, cos he's even more of a pisshead than me), and he plays either the really, really mad stuff that just makes my brain hurt, or the rude & funny stuff which I like but I can't remember the next day and is probably as much a reflection of Zappa as Derek & Clive is a reflection of Peter Cook. So I'll give the 'moderate' stuff a go lol

Guest cpt beefheart

ive got his whole discography and beefheart`s its the best music on the planet yeah some track`s maybe not for the faint hearted but it`s the same with all band`s ya dont like every track they produce it`s personal choice

cpt :stoned:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And there was I thinking no-one liked Zappa

I withnailed a few tens of times on your thread tsd (as I have here on H's).

I'm not great at communication. It's just the way my brain is wired. If a bit of music makes sense to me then I find it almost impossible to explain why. But anyway, I'll try to explain something of how I think about Zappa.

Zappa made me pick up a guitar as a kid (about 5 or 6). I still play, and playing guitar is more potent than alcohol or weed in helping me control my state of mind. My first teachers hated my love of twelve tone scales just as much as I could never love a pentatonic or any other restriction because "that's how it's meant to be". He found a way to get his thoughts rendered through bands and orchestras. He had no level to accept a musician’s point of view. A friend of mine who played with the LSO with him found him the hardest taskmaster. Nobody wants a typewriter to insert its own words.

In the year or so before he died the grauniad discussed a lot of Zappas views on America’s government. He talked about standing for president, then not, then yes, then not and so on. I was shocked when he died because I thought after Bush (snr) that Zappa was going to have a good effect on world politics. Sadly it wasn’t to be.

Lots of people are described as having died too young. I rarely agree as most have a life that encapsulates the one good thing they did and death stops them producing more of the rubbish they’d turned too towards the end of their life. Zappa is one of very few people who I think would produce increasingly more important work as he got older.

• Like 3

I fell in love with Zappas music and philosphies 21 years ago after listening to Sheik Ye Bouti..particularly Bobby Brown,,,but after many years of listening it was the complicated and unlistenable to most stuff that I found my self listening to most.

I bought Beefhearts Trout Mask Replica when it first came out on CD import and found that to be the most unlistenable album ever, and tried again every other year and still found it impenetrable,,then 15 years later i started listening to Beefhearts "easy listening stuff", like Blue Jean and Moonbeams. Then when I eventually got to Trout Mask Replica again I just "got it" and now one of my favourite albums.

For those who just cant get into both . I compare them to a chinese puzzle where you just cant even get started on it and throw it against a wall. But once you get a wee bit inside you can start to unravel the many layers and enjoy a wonderful journey through a massive catalogue.

anyways,,,ejoying the thread keep up the good links aad thnx Hughie

• Like 1

i mentioned this thread to my brother the other day ..hes not a toker btw ..and he dug out that 3 album box set of zappas solos ..god damn its widdlemania ..it takes a special mind to get through that lot in one go ..yet pick out the odd track here and there and its pure magic .