Frank Zappa Fan Thread

Hughie Green

Night School

Originally on Jazz from hell 1986 - This version played by Ensemble Modern (Plays Frank Zappa) in 1993.

Top thread. Frank's the man. Saw Dweezil on the Zappa plays Zappa tour couple of months back. Good show if you get a chance. It's a BIT wierd listening to someone else sing Franks bits, but good nevertheless...

Now where's my zircon encrusted tweezers gone??

• Like 1

Never got into Frank Zappa, but will be giving this thread a good listening to when the vape comes out later on,

Nick Cave does a good sleazy/funny.

Frank is the greatest. NO ARGUMENT.

The finest composer, guitarist and band leader of the past 100 years.

• Like 1

ellinoir enema bandit it`s a fav of mine zappa der man strictly comecianel is a fav album and bat chain puller love`s zappa good thread dude keep it up yeahhhhhhhhhhhh

cpt

The ILLINOIS ENEMA BANDIT. A true story of how Micheal Kenyon gave his victims an ENEMA after robbing them.

My link

some find him difficult to get into

I'm afraid I'm one of them.

Not dissing him, not at all. I just don't 'get' his music, and I know that's a fault of mine, not his. I dearly wish I did, because I know I'm missing out, it just makes no sense to me. I guess musically I'm very unsophisticated, perhaps because I'm not a musical person myself - I've tried to learn guitar and piano, I failed horribly because I just don't understand the 'language'. I like music I can tap my feet to, or bang my head to. More challenging stuff leaves me lost :( Words I can do, weird words, blank verse, beat poetry, any kind of playing with language I can understand (I may think some of it is pretentious shite, but I understand it), my brain works on a linguistic level. But music, that's another country to me, I don't really understand the rules so when someone breaks those rules I'm totally lost :(

I will keep trying, because too many people that I respect have told me Zappa is great for me to give up. I just don't think I'm musically sophisticated enough to ever 'get' it :(

But I will keep trying :)

• Like 2

watermelon in easter hay. The finest piece of guitar work there is.

Edit to remove link already posted

Edited by Hiphip
  • Like 1

Didnt get into zappa until i heard his version of stairway to heaven on radio 1,went and bought the best band you've never heard the very next day,needless to say a few more of his Lps have been added to the collection.Was lucky enough to work with the muffin men,and Jimmy Carl Black a few years back,a real nice chap and a pretty good band, unfortunately this wasn't in the set

sort of sums up the music industry

• Like 1

some find him difficult to get into

I'm afraid I'm one of them.

Not dissing him, not at all. I just don't 'get' his music, and I know that's a fault of mine, not his. I dearly wish I did, because I know I'm missing out, it just makes no sense to me. I guess musically I'm very unsophisticated, perhaps because I'm not a musical person myself - I've tried to learn guitar and piano, I failed horribly because I just don't understand the 'language'. I like music I can tap my feet to, or bang my head to. More challenging stuff leaves me lost :( Words I can do, weird words, blank verse, beat poetry, any kind of playing with language I can understand (I may think some of it is pretentious shite, but I understand it), my brain works on a linguistic level. But music, that's another country to me, I don't really understand the rules so when someone breaks those rules I'm totally lost :(

I will keep trying, because too many people that I respect have told me Zappa is great for me to give up. I just don't think I'm musically sophisticated enough to ever 'get' it :(

But I will keep trying :)

Put it like this.

Most music is played on a scale of one to five. Hotel California and Stairway as examples. Frank's music is on a scale of ten. Some have called it "Mathematical rock". Various time signatures, different chords, jazz and blues together. BUT. It will reward the music fan.

Try Apostrophe`

My link

I think one of my mistakes is I've always had Zappa played to me when off my nut (either stoned or, more often, drunk). I think I probably need to approach him with a clear head first.

Now I just need some point in my life when I've got a clear head :doh:

Which is kinda problematical, cos even without any substances (I include alcohol as a substance, a 'drug'), a clear head is something I rarely have :headpain:

That's why I drink so much.

Edited by Boojum

boojum the easiest frank to get into is joes garage acts 1.2.3 mainly because its a story as well ..pure genius the whole thing ..

sheik yerbouti has a lot of the more humorous side of frank ..and the later utopia album has some great musical pieces as does ship to late to save a drowning witch ..but joes garage is my recomendation to you as its musically easier on the ear than a lot of his creations .

Cool, I'll give it a go when I'm not leathered (which, unfortunately, rules out today lol Think it's a bit too late for that :beer: )

Genuinely will give it a go, though :) Cos I do feel like I'm missing out.