The Outdoor Drying Thread

Loam Gnome

camo tarpulin; instead of planks. tarpulin can be folded into a record bag size and carried stealth.

camo rope; bungee cord like rope (comes in a dark green colour, found in camping shops)to make the frame. light weight, carried in bag, stealth.

i think the only way to dry a good harvest in the uk is to have an almost mold free harvest. These dudes growing in the USA and canada (and even mainland europe) have a much drier, sunnier season to us (although ours is longer, but less than ideal).

to do this without going down the harsh forced drying technique path with gas and a greenhouse heater etc, i think you need to have some way of keeping a good natural fungicide from being washed off your plants... greencure, Oxidate (hydrogen peroxide?) or amistar... a polytunnel like cover only above the plants to allow air flow. calcium keeps plants fighting fit against mold. Having a heavy clay wet soil invites botrytis too. The poly roof will keep the soil from getting drowned if it rains too heavy, the rain can be channeled off and stored in a water barrel so its not wasted.

ill add more soon

Guest Stickybud73

You guys can wrap the buds in gold leaf for all the good it would do with 16 days of non-stop rain. It can happen. If I was caught between homes, or suchlike, I'd find an abandoned shed/farmbuilding, spread it out, my neighbours never use their shed on both sides., there's also the possibility for campsite hashmaking if you have enough weed and ice... :D

:guitar:

This thread will come in handy if i ever need to dry it outdoors

I already somethink like this built in my garden so.........

Thanks

camo tarpulin; instead of planks. tarpulin can be folded into a record bag size and carried stealth.

camo rope; bungee cord like rope (comes in a dark green colour, found in camping shops)to make the frame. light weight, carried in bag, stealth.

i think the only way to dry a good harvest in the uk is to have an almost mold free harvest. These dudes growing in the USA and canada (and even mainland europe) have a much drier, sunnier season to us (although ours is longer, but less than ideal).

to do this without going down the harsh forced drying technique path with gas and a greenhouse heater etc, i think you need to have some way of keeping a good natural fungicide from being washed off your plants... greencure, Oxidate (hydrogen peroxide?) or amistar... a polytunnel like cover only above the plants to allow air flow. calcium keeps plants fighting fit against mold. Having a heavy clay wet soil invites botrytis too. The poly roof will keep the soil from getting drowned if it rains too heavy, the rain can be channeled off and stored in a water barrel so its not wasted.

ill add more soon

Yeah traup and bungees would be easier to carry in but wouldnt any rain collect in the traup and weigh it down?

I know what your saying about mould free. But if you pick a strain that finishes early, remove any buds with even the slightest hint of mould you should be okay no?

I like that greenhouse heater idea to counter humidity, I dont think a greenhouse heater would cause a harsh forced drying if it was on low and covering a fairly big area. The greenhouse heater would also be usefull at outdoot seedling stage if anyones doing that aswell.

You guys can wrap the buds in gold leaf for all the good it would do with 16 days of non-stop rain. It can happen. If I was caught between homes, or suchlike, I'd find an abandoned shed/farmbuilding, spread it out, my neighbours never use their shed on both sides., there's also the possibility for campsite hashmaking if you have enough weed and ice... :D

:guitar:

I was sort of sugesting building your own mini abandoned shed/farmbuilding. Yeah worst comes to worst massive hash making camp I (sort of) like it!

Hi folks, enjoying the lively debate and hash camp madness too!

The light camo tarp idea has merit were the weather to be clear and predicted to continue that way i guess.

As for 'harshness of forced heat drying' I am talking about a 1 kw Sunny caravan heater or similar sized greenhouse heater putting out approx 450 btu's in a 15-20 ft long canvas covered bender tunnel with some open areas for venting and a thermo powered electric free fan. So it quite minimal heating and would prob take a week (2.5 7kg gas bottles) to do a run.

In terms of not wanting to carry heavy and/or bulky items well; i guess it depends what you have got at stake and what is riding on your harvest. if its a bit o percy then fair enough but, if it a jump forward you are looking at then you will go to those lengths. Ideally at night or dawn, there is nothing wrong on doing a bit o grunt work if the rewards are well worth it. Equally there is nothing illegal in having an army canvas, or a lpg bottle, or a heater in your bag. Maybe stash the items near your site and do the last leg at a different time of you are suspect. Stash, then scout, then retrieve and take to the site. :ninja:

if you cut your poles (hazel or willow) soon, then you can help out some trees with a bit of coppicing before their sap rises. Stash the poles on site before you even plant out. No one wants to be conspicuously carrying 20 14ft long wooden poles to their site around harvest time!

It is a shame we could not keep our plants in suspended animation until winter when there is loads of snow at hand for a good old hash making session.... However I fear being on the site for any length of time. That said making the bender and manicuring is gonna be nappy wearing time.

Anyone manicure off all there leaves while the plants are still in the ground and then leave them for a few days before the chop? Would this have a detrimental effect on thc? An aim of curing is to slowly transform the sugars in the plant as they are one component that can make the smoke harsh. Drying too quickly prevents this from happening. Would the plant having no leaves to make more sugars burn up its reserves and produce a smoother bouquet I wonder...

:wink:

Anyone manicure off all there leaves while the plants are still in the ground

would be a good idea to help airflow, especially if there nearly dead/yellowing. I sometimes remove all the potential pop corn bud sites close to main trunk to help air flow... pop corn is a pain if you have too much to harvest

ive thought about the idea, if your plant looks too green when late in flowering would removing most of the fan leaves help the plant cannabilize its sugars?

maybe it wouldnt be too harsh, depends how you set it up... but fresh air is essential to prevent rot during drying (carbon dioxide is funguses close friend)... so as long as the setup has a gentle warm airflow i think you could definately dry your herb outdoors in the uk. The concept just needs to be tinkered :)

i think i might have a go myself, i plan to grow plenty this year so ill experiment with the smaller nugs and if they rot then no biggie

i found an old tent that can be used as my drying caddi lol

Edited by dpn

awesome! yeah ive found a small concrete outbuilding that looks like it might be promising..

how did the drying go? did you have mold problems?

Hi folks great stuff! Makes me wonder about caves. Got a friend who I have been caving with and he is always finding new caves that are not used by cavers. Might be worth investigating.;)